2 [5.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [15.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hey, a poll that reminds us how 1986 sucked. I'll choose Peter Gabriel's So.
You’ll have to go to A Crimson Mellotron’s poll to do that. It’s not here (as per the opening post).
You’re such a bunch of laughs, aren’t you?

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:58
A bit like being left with the half empty bottom row in the cacao vegan box of chocolates: chose the Smiths The Queen Is Dead as it's the only album on the list I own and they're clearly slumming it in this company.

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 17 2021 at 09:01
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 09:03
Yeah, I definitely don’t expect (m)any people to like (m)any of these. I’m kind of surprised by how many people have voted, actually - though I suspect it’s generally for the least of several horrendous evils. 😄

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:16
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Yeah, I definitely don’t expect (m)any people to like (m)any of these. I’m kind of surprised by how many people have voted, actually - though I suspect it’s generally for the least of several horrendous evils. 😄

Be that as it may, putting this in the "topics not related to music" area is still a bit harsh.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:00
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Be that as it may, putting this in the "topics not related to music" area is still a bit harsh.

Perhaps. But hey, at least I shouldn’t offend those who think that the albums listed aren’t music! 🤪

I owned them all on cassette, and even if I’ve not upgraded them all to CD, I still like them all, and could listen to any of them quite happily.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:03
1986 at least gave us this live album:

With tracks like this:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:07
Number one fan? I love the way you find a way to post about BD!
It’s almost like Paul and his love for classic English prog! 😄

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:16

Jean and I are definitely huge fans of her and have been at many of her concerts. The latest took place just a bit more than about four months ago. But we are not the only ones here. Rogerthat and Verslibre for example are big fans of her too.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 17 2021 at 11:26

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 12:48
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead of course
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 15:02
I almost went with the When the Wind Blows soundtrack, which I can’t extricate from the film in my mind, which genuinely made me weep, but that The Smiths album is great.   Nice reminder with Icehouse. I had really liked the debut album, especially the song Icehouse, which I first heard while when in Australia in 1989 and still have on my favourite mixtape. And I watched Layrinth again recently (fun film if not up to The Dark Crystal for me).

Favourite today from 1986 might be News Frm Babel’s Letters Home, but I certainly did not know that before the 2000s.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 15:18
Yeah, I was really trying to keep it only to albums I had and loved in 1986 (when I would have been 10, turning 11).

When the Wind Blows was a favourite book of mine, and the film was amazing. Plus it had a Bowie song on the soundtrack. What more could I want?

In fact, the reason I owned three of those soundtracks (Transformers being the odd one out) was because of the Bowie songs on them.

Icehouse had some great songs. Iva Davies was (is?) a wonderful composer, who I think was often underrated and overlooked even in his own country. Their greatest success was probably their next album after 1986, Man of Colours. Easily my favourite Icehouse album, too, and (if I attempt objectivity) their best - so completely, and finally, deserving of the chart success it had.

I really love Sting’s album here, even though I’m not really a fan of any of his solo material at all. I bought it for the Police songs on it, I guess, or maybe it was just cheap somewhere. It’s years ago, so I can’t really remember why I bought it, but whatever the reason, the end result was an album that was surprisingly enjoyable, and quite different from what I would have been expecting.

These were all cassettes I owned in 1986, but over the years the ones I still enjoy I’ve bought on cd as well. Of the 19 listed, I have 9 on cd.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 15:19
Yep, I'd have voted Icehouse after Sting.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 01:27
I am listening to some Icehouse now, wasn't familiar with them, pretty good band. Thanks for mentioning them. 
I'm listening to their debut album now. Thumbs Up
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 01:35
It's between The Smiths and Duran Duran. The Smiths are running away with the votes, so I'll give the vote to Duran Duran.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 02:28
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Jean and I are definitely huge fans of her and have been at many of her concerts. The latest took place just a bit more than about four months ago. But we are not the only ones here. Rogerthat and Verslibre for example are big fans of her too.

Indeed, I am. I think every music fan should watch at least one video of her incredible playing. I am going to post this one that I saw recently:

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 02:31
Albeit I don't like her piano playing quite as much as some of the greats like Herbie or Monty Williams. But that's OK. She doesn't have to be the best at everything. There's nothing she can't do on the B3 and that's before we get to her jaw dropping bass pedal prowess.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 03:15
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

It's between The Smiths and Duran Duran. The Smiths are running away with the votes, so I'll give the vote to Duran Duran.

I love Duran Duran, but Notorious is one of my least favourite albums from them. I think I always found it a bit disappointing. The Arcadia album that came next is far better, and the next DD album saw them back on track, and is probably my favourite DD album.

For me, Duran Duran are a band who have always flirted with prog - enough that someone like me would be happy to tag them with that label, but not enough for many others who find pop (prog or otherwise) to be anathema. When Duran Duran split in two, Arcadia were definitely the proggier half, and I'd love to have heard a second album.

But what an album! Provided you like Duran Duran, of course.... 😄

Apart from the DD trio of Simon, Nick and Roger, guest musicians with jazz-fusion and prog backgrounds included David Gilmour, Carlos Alomar, Andy Mackay, Herbie Hancock, David Van Tieghem, and Masami Tsuchiya.

It's also a brilliant lazy Summer Sunday soundtrack. 😍☀️

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/45CkfLvmv7Aub6mFc7QwI8

(The above is the 2010 remaster, with additional tracks. I've not listened to the remaster, or any of those additional tracks, so can't comment on them....)

For the record, DD have in various interviews over the years stated their greatest influences were Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Queen and Kraftwerk, it's fair to say prog was a big part of the band. I also think they are far greater musicians than most people give/gave them credit for - perhaps because the nature and image of their music was not seen as requiring great musicianship?

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 04:18
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Albeit I don't like her piano playing quite as much as some of the greats like Herbie or Monty Williams. But that's OK. She doesn't have to be the best at everything. There's nothing she can't do on the B3 and that's before we get to her jaw dropping bass pedal prowess.

well, when she plays "piano" she actually still plays organ using MIDI-technology to get the piano sound. and here is where some limitations apply: on a real piano you have much more possibilities to control the dynamics of the playing (hence the original name of the piano which is "fortepiano" meaning "loud-quiet". on the predecessor of the piano, the harpsichord, you didn't have these dynamic possibilities). on the organ she only has the volume pedal for that, and since I am a piano player myself I can tell you this makes a lot of difference. this definitely limits her possibilities for expression when she plays "piano".

she also occasionally plays "vibraphone" or "trumpet" on her organ, and of course "acoustic bass" with the pedals

Edited by BaldJean - January 18 2021 at 05:06

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 05:02
Regarding MIDI, I’m eagerly awaiting more people taking advantage of MIDI 2.0 and all the vast microtonal delights it entails for experimental music. (For those not familiar, the following is the introduction for a review I wrote for Giorgi Mikadze’s 2020 album.)

—-//—-

There’s a revolution afoot, and you probably didn’t even know it. Coincidentally, I found out about it from two sources almost simultaneously: the album I’m not quite reviewing here, and an article posted by a friend on Facebook. And what is this revolution? That after almost two decades, MIDI 2.0 has been released. Released in 1983, MIDI 1.0 was fairly revolutionary itself, though in the same understated way that MIDI 2.0 is. That is to say, it’s a quiet revolution that may pass many people by. But just as MIDI 1.0 revolutionised the digitisation of music (which was not a new thing) by providing a universal standard, so does MIDI 2.0 by breaking that standard.

That last statement may seem counter-intuitive so let me attempt to explain. MIDI 1.0 digitises music by placing all musical qualities on a scale with 128 possible points. Now this is fine for most Western music, and Western instruments with a discrete scale such as keyboards. But there is a world of music outside traditional Western music, and even within Western music microtones are often used in, for example in jazz. MIDI 2.0 “breaks” the 128 point scale by ascribing all data to 32-bit values, rather than the 7-bit values of its predecessor. This higher resolution of MIDI 2.0 will allow the full textures, tonality and range of acoustic instruments. A world of music that has largely been difficult to communicate digitally can now be expressed with an ease that just did not exist before.

And why have I not yet even addressed the new album by Georgian artist, Giorgi Mikadze? Well, I’m getting there. Giorgi Mikadze plays a microtonal keyboard on his new album, Georgian Microjamz. I’ll admit, I didn’t even know such a thing existed, and it was when I was exploring the internet for information about this that I came across MIDI 2.0 – and then only a day or so later, saw my friend post an article about the same on Facebook. What I learnt is that analogue keyboards like pianos and organs are actually suitable for microtonal music after all, as their strings and pipes can be retuned as desired. That’s actually so obvious, I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me. Even though Mikadze uses a digital keyboard, which can also be retuned as desired (although sometimes more in theory than in practice, if it is a MIDI keyboard); the biggest problem in playing microtones on a keyboard is not the tuning, but the traditional keyboard design, and while there appear to be several ways of making this work, none look easy. Which makes Giorgi Mikadze’s microtonal keyboard playing even more impressive.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 05:15

Regarding MIDI, I’m eagerly awaiting more people taking advantage of MIDI 2.0 and all the vast microtonal delights it entails for experimental music. (For those not familiar, the following is the introduction for a review I wrote for Giorgi Mikadze’s 2020 album.)

—-//—-

There’s a revolution afoot, and you probably didn’t even know it. Coincidentally, I found out about it from two sources almost simultaneously: the album I’m not quite reviewing here, and an article posted by a friend on Facebook. And what is this revolution? That after almost two decades, MIDI 2.0 has been released. Released in 1983, MIDI 1.0 was fairly revolutionary itself, though in the same understated way that MIDI 2.0 is. That is to say, it’s a quiet revolution that may pass many people by. But just as MIDI 1.0 revolutionised the digitisation of music (which was not a new thing) by providing a universal standard, so does MIDI 2.0 by breaking that standard.

That last statement may seem counter-intuitive so let me attempt to explain. MIDI 1.0 digitises music by placing all musical qualities on a scale with 128 possible points. Now this is fine for most Western music, and Western instruments with a discrete scale such as keyboards. But there is a world of music outside traditional Western music, and even within Western music microtones are often used in, for example in jazz. MIDI 2.0 “breaks” the 128 point scale by ascribing all data to 32-bit values, rather than the 7-bit values of its predecessor. This higher resolution of MIDI 2.0 will allow the full textures, tonality and range of acoustic instruments. A world of music that has largely been difficult to communicate digitally can now be expressed with an ease that just did not exist before.

And why have I not yet even addressed the new album by Georgian artist, Giorgi Mikadze? Well, I’m getting there. Giorgi Mikadze plays a microtonal keyboard on his new album, Georgian Microjamz. I’ll admit, I didn’t even know such a thing existed, and it was when I was exploring the internet for information about this that I came across MIDI 2.0 – and then only a day or so later, saw my friend post an article about the same on Facebook. What I learnt is that analogue keyboards like pianos and organs are actually suitable for microtonal music after all, as their strings and pipes can be retuned as desired. That’s actually so obvious, I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me. Even though Mikadze uses a digital keyboard, which can also be retuned as desired (although sometimes more in theory than in practice, if it is a MIDI keyboard); the biggest problem in playing microtones on a keyboard is not the tuning, but the traditional keyboard design, and while there appear to be several ways of making this work, none look easy. Which makes Giorgi Mikadze’s microtonal keyboard playing even more impressive.

yes, microtonality appears in a lot of traditional music of countries not belonging to the Western culture, for example Indian and Arabian music

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>