Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cataloguing My Prog Collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I was really surprised I had as many as 565 CD albums categorised as prog on ProgArchives, because when I counted the actual number of CD albums stored on my Prog-Rock rack, it only numbered around 180 albums. Smile

You looked up 565 CDs to see if they were on PA or not? Don't forget PA includes a number of artists who I have a fair number of albums by but would never catalogue under "prog" - Kate Bush and Led Zep to name but two.
I didn't look up all 565 CD's on PA individually, but looked up the artists. For instance, I have 30 Santana CD's, 16 Moody Blues CD's, 14 Mike Oldfield CD's, 14 Led Zeppelin CD's and 10 Uriah Heep CD's, all of which are included on PA but aren't included on my Prog-Rock CD rack at home. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 18:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Hi,

That's almost exactly what my collection looks like ... the picture cuts a part of the LP's and mine would be at least 6 times that many LP's showing. At one time it was over 2500 LP's.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 19:17
Here's a more complete shot.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 21:17
^ Beautiful!

Also, I wish I had the time for any of the shenanigans going on in this thread. 
Too much work.
Maybe on the weekend.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 01:48
Recent CD Purchases:-

Alan Parsons - Try Anything Once
Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky
Alan Parsons Project - The Collection

Amazing Blondel - On with the Show

The Byrds - Fifth Dimension
The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers

Dando Shaft - Dando Shaft

Genesis - Calling All Stations

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jethro Tull - Living in the Past

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Marillion - Fugazi
Marillion - Marbles

Joni Mitchell - Ladies of the Canyon
Joni Mitchell - Night Ride Home
Joni Mitchell - Turbulent Indigo

Nektar - A Tab in the Ocean
Nektar - Remember the Future
Nektar - Sounds Like This
Nektar - Down to Earth
Nektar - Recycled

Rush - Permanent Waves
Rush - Signals
Rush - Grace Under Pressure
Rush - Counterparts
Rush - Presto

Styx - Paradise Theater
The Swans - Photographs & Letters

The Who - Ultimate Collection (2 CD's)

Wishbone Ash - No Smoke Without Fire

Richard Wright - Broken China

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 12 2022 at 02:14
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 04:41

One of my very favourite albums, as you can tell... Big smile

As a matter of interest, how many of those purchases came from Oxfam in West Bridgford, Paul?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 06:35
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

One of my very favourite albums, as you can tell... Big smile

As a matter of interest, how many of those purchases came from Oxfam in West Bridgford, Paul?
Roughly half of those CD's were purchased from Oxfam Music in West Bridgford. The rest were bought from other local charity shops and car boot sales. The most expensive purchases on the list were Richard Wright's Broken China and Marillion's Marbles album, both bought from Langley Mill Records for £6 each - but still a bargain. My favourite Alan Parsons Project album is their debut, but I haven't yet got around to listening to the solo Alan Parsons album..... Hopefully, I'll want to try it more than once. Big smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 08:02
^^ Well, you liked the Janison Edge, so I have every faith in you.. Wink

I rarely find anything in these rural charity shops around me, but I did have that rather special little haul in Ledbury last week, I posted about in the Recent Purchases thread... just a few once in a while is enough to maintain your faith in humanity. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 08:16

^^ Well, you liked the Janison Edge, so I have every faith in you.. Wink

I rarely find anything in these rural charity shops around me, but I did have that rather special little haul in Ledbury last week, I posted about in the Recent Purchases thread... just a few once in a while is enough to maintain your faith in humanity. Smile
I almost forgot to mention the recent purchase of a 5-CD box set of Nektar albums from Amazon. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 10:29
Broken China isn't very good IMHO compared to Wet Dreams. All that Tull is excellent.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 10:38
Broken China isn't very good IMHO compared to Wet Dreams. All that Tull is excellent.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 10:55
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I bought Broken China mainly for its rarity value, even though I much prefer Wet Dreams. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2022 at 13:58
Bargain of the Year! The Gun: the Proto-Prog masterpiece purchased from the Air Ambulance charity shop in West Bridgford this week for just 95p! Big smile

5 stars 1968: The Gun - The Gun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ihbulbj0NM

THE GUN were an English Hard Rock band consisting of Mr Smith & Mr Wesson, otherwise known as Paul & Adrian Gurvitz, with Louie Farrell providing covering fire on percussion. Gun were previously known as The Knack, with no relation to the band who later had a hit with "My Sharona". Gun were one of the most powerful bands in the land at the time, with a proto- metal sound that could blow your hat clean off. Gun are perhaps best-known for their hit song "Race with the Devil", which went racing like a bullet up the U.K singles chart to No. 8 in November 1968. The high calibre locked and loaded sound of Gun were a Magnum Force to reckon with, opening fire with two Sudden Impact albums in a row:- "Gun" (1968) and "Gunsight" (1969). Brothers Paul & Adrian Gurvitz later went on to deliver another storming Gurvitz Blitz in the early 1970's with their platoon of Three Man Army, which subsequently became the Baker Gurvitz Army, featuring Ginger Baker of Cream. Gun's fired-up debut album has the distinction of being the first album cover designed by album art supremo Roger Dean. Gun will really make your day, but in all the excitement, it's hard to remember whether they fired off seven or eight chambered rounds (or songs) on their debut, or eleven or twelve songs with CD bonus tracks added from The Dead Pool of unused songs. Do you feel lucky?

You're very lucky indeed if you're the proud owner of the original vinyl Gun album, and what better way to open the album than with "Race with the Devil". It's a devilishly good song featuring a killer riff which is arguably one of the best-known speed riffs in the world of Rock. There's no mistaking the dual guitar blitzkrieg of the Gurvitz brothers on "Race with the Devil" and the song also features some marvellously over-the-top manic vocals. It's one of those timeless Rock classics: once heard, never forgotten. The sonic power and speed of the music hits the listener straight between the eyes when combined with the stunning simplicity of the lyrics:- "You better run from the devil's gun, He'll seek you here, He'll seek you there, The devil will seek you everywhere" ...... "Race with the Devil" was a hit song here, there and virtually everywhere. Jimi Hendrix paid tribute to it on his song "Machine Gun" at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970, and it was later famously covered by Heavy Metal band Girlschool on their 1980 "Demolition" debut. Now that we're all fired up from the storming opener, it's time for "The Sad Saga of the Boy and the Bee". You can put the Kleenex tissues away though, because this is a tremendously uplifting song and not remotely sad at all. It's a psychedelic phantasmagorical delight, featuring a grand orchestral opening, the familiar thunderous sound of the Gurvitz brothers twin blitzing guitar attacks, and not forgetting drummer Louie Farrell pounding away ferociously in the background at a frenzied pace. This magnificent epic even includes a wild and demonic version of Rimsky- Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumble Bee" for good measure too. Our third piece of music "Rupert's Travels" takes us on a brief semi-classical instrumental journey of flamenco guitars and full orchestra, which has obvious parallels with Mason Williams "Classical Gas", released in the same flower-power year of 1968. If your eardrums haven't yet been pounded into submission, then try "Yellow Cab Man". Get ready to be taken on a wild psychedelic taxi ride from hell with blood-crazed psychopath Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro), in a song that's all about a Taxi Driver struggling to make a living in the Mean Streets of The Big Apple (circa 1968). "You talking to me!??" ...... "Yellow Cab Man" murderously rampages its way through a Purple Haze of four unrelenting minutes of freaky acid guitar licks and pummelling percussion. The music is just as wild and fuzzy as the Gurvitz brothers frizzy 1960's afro-hairdos. Having blazed a trail through four romping, stomping songs, we now arrive at one of the most bizarre songs on the album: "It Won't Be Long (Heartbeat)". This song is as barmy as an army of weirdy-beardy vegetarians working at a meat-packing plant. The song opens to a cacophony of discordant sounds before emerging into a typical plodding blues riff, sounding like the heartbeat of the title. It's the echoing off-kilter vocals which really sets this freaky song apart though, and listen out for the very strange ending when the "heartbeat" slows..right...down....to.....a......crawl.......and........then.........comes..........to..........a...........complete............Stop.

The Gurvitz power trio are gunning for glory with the opening number on Side Two, so Pop the champagne cork and get ready to celebrate with the Beatle-esque sound of "Sunshine" - a warm and radiant burst of glorious Sunshine Pop. This bright and bubbly fizzy Pop concoction is overflowing with triumphant hope and optimism, and features a rousing chorus that's positively bursting with joy and love:- "Sun shines brightly every day, Let it shine, Let it shine." ..... It's a song which inevitably brings to mind the equally joyous sound of "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream. It's Poptastic! We're entering moody and magnificent territory now with the stupendous sound of "Rat Race" - a celestial song which has all of the anthemic majesty and splendour of "Nights in White Satin", complete with lush strings and heavenly harmonies to die for. It's an epic ballad which proudly displays its pompous prog colours in a richly orchestrated symphonic soundscape. And now for something completely different as we arrive at the eighth and final song on the album: "Take Off!" This is where Gun really get to fly high and trip the light fantastic by throwing caution to the wind in an 11-minute long psychedelic freak out. The storming closing number is a booming and bombastic show of force where the band are going out with all guns blazing in this supersonic blast from the past.

Gun's stunning debut has all the unstoppable power and force of Dirty Harry's Smith & Wesson fifty calibre Magnum revolver. Gun is one of the highest rated albums on ProgArchives, and deservedly so too. The album comes pre-loaded with eight high calibre, full metal jacketed songs, with extra ammo provided on the CD reissue. Go out and buy the album from your local Gun dealer. It'll make your day!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 17 2022 at 14:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 03:10
Latest update with recent purchases added:-

Canterbury Scene Total Albums = 14

Caravan (10); Steve Hillage (4)

Crossover Prog Total Albums = 105

Tori Amos (1); Argent (1); Barclay James Harvest (6); Be Bop Deluxe (5); Kate Bush (8); Electric Light Orchestra (8); Peter Gabriel (1); Justin Hayward & John Lodge (1);  Kayak (2); The Moody Blues (16); Mike Oldfield (15); Sally Oldfield (3); The Alan Parsons Project (7); Robert Plant (5); Procol Harum (4); Radiohead (3); Rare Bird (2); Roxy Music (3); Todd Rundgren (5); Supertramp (3); Talk Talk (2); Roger Waters (3); Richard Wright (1)

Eclectic Prog Total Albums = 19

Frumpy (1); Steve Hackett (5); King Crimson (1); Sky (4); Traffic (6); Van der Graaf Generator (2)

Heavy Prog Total Albums = 22

Porcupine Tree (5); Rush (7); Uriah Heep (10)

Indo Prog/Raga Rock Total Albums = 2

Quintessence (2)

Jazz-Rock/Fusion Total Albums = 75

Jeff Beck (5); Blood, Sweat & Tears (5); Chicago (7); Billy Cobham (1); Colosseum (1); Miles Davis (2); George Duke (8); Jan Hammer (1); Herbie Hancock (3); Return to Forever (1); Santana (30); Carlos Santana (1); Solution (2); Steely Dan (3); Lenny White (5)

Krautrock Total Albums = 1

Holger Czukay (1) 

Neo Prog Total Albums = 3

Marillion (3)

Prog Folk Total Albums = 68

Amazing Blondel (2); Tim Buckley (5); Clannad (9); Dead Can Dance (7); Judy Dyble (1); Espers (3); Iona (1); Jethro Tull (10); Loudest Whisper (1); John Martyn (5); Mellow Candle (1); Joni Mitchell (4) Mostly Autumn (3); Pentangle (2); Strawbs (7); Trader Horne (1); Trees (2); Trembling Bells (4)

Prog Related Total Albums = 107

Jon Anderson (2); Asia (1); Peter Bardens (1); Black Sabbath (4); Blue Oyster Cult (8); David Bowie (11); Budgie (3); Fairport Convention (6); Flied Egg (1); David Gilmour (5); Roger Glover (1); Japan (1); Jean Michele Jarre (3); Jon & Vangelis (5); Journey (2); Led Zeppelin (14); Magna Carta (6); Mercury Rev (3); Jimmy Page & Robert Plant (2); Alan Parsons (1) Queen (8); Rainbow (1); Styx (2); Super Furry Animals (5); Vangelis (6); Wishbone Ash (5)

Progressive Electronic Total Albums = 27

Ian Boddy (5); Edgar Froese (5); Kitaro (1); Mark Shreeve (3); Tangerine Dream (12); Wavestar (1)

Progressive Metal Total Albums = 15

Dream Theater (7); Epica (1); Nightwish (7)

Proto Prog Total Albums = 62

Andromeda (1); The Beatles (4); Deep Purple (2); The Doors (8); The Gods (1); The Gun (1); H.P. Lovecraft (2); Jimi Hendrix (5); Iron Butterfly (5); It's a Beautiful Day (2); Jefferson Airplane (10); Nirvana (1); The Pretty Things (2); Spirit (5); Spooky Tooth (7); Tomorrow (1); Vanilla Fudge (5)

Psychedelic/Space Rock Total Albums = 31

Arcadium (1); Astra (2); Group 1850 (2);  Hawkwind (3); Jade Warrior (2); Man (5); Nektar (5) Pink Floyd (9); Pond (2)

Symphonic Prog Total Albums =64

Camel (9); Earth and Fire (2); Emerson, Lake & Palmer (2); The Enid (2); Fruupp (2); Genesis (11); Greenslade (1); Kansas (6); Nick Magnus (1); Renaissance (10); Rick Wakeman (5); Yes (13)

Total number of prog albums across all genres = 634

Recent Purchases:-

Amazing Blondel - On with the Show (Prog Folk)

Tori Amos - Under the Pink (Crossover Prog) Ermm

Jon Anderson - Toltec (Prog Related) Ouch

David Bowie - Nothing Has Changed (Prog Related)

Chicago - The Heart of Chicago 1967-1997 (Jazz Rock/Fusion)

Clannad - Lore (Prog Folk)
Clannad - Anam (Prog Folk)
Clannad - Banba (Prog Folk) 

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (Symphonic Prog)

Genesis - Invisible Touch (Symphonic Prog) Wacko
Genesis - Calling All Stations (Symphonic Prog) Wacko

The Gun - Gun (Proto Prog)

Jean Michel Jarre - Rendezvous (Prog Related)

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery (Prog Folk)
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play (Prog Folk)
Jethro Tull - Living in the Past (Prog Folk)
Jethro Tull - Aqualung (Prog Folk)

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (Neo Prog)
Marillion - Marbles (Neo Prog)
Marillion - Fugazi (Neo Prog)

John Martyn - Sweet Little Mystery (Prog Folk) 
John Martyn - Sapphire (Prog Folk)

Joni Mitchell - Night Ride Home (Not on ProgArchives) Cry
Joni Mitchell - Turbulent Indigo (Not on ProgArchives) Cry
Joni Mitchell - Ladies of the Canyon (Not on ProgArchives) Cry

Nektar - A Tab in the Ocean (Psychedelic/Space Rock)
Nektar - Remember the Future (Psychedelic/Space Rock)
Nektar - Sounds Like This (Psychedelic/Space Rock)
Nektar - Down to Earth (Psychedelic/Space Rock)
Nektar - Recycled (Psychedelic/Space Rock)

Mike Oldfield - The Orchestral Tubular Bells (Crossover Prog)

Alan Parsons - Try Anything Once (Prog Related)

The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (Crossover Prog)

Rush - Permanent Waves (Heavy Prog)
Rush - Presto (Heavy Prog)
Rush - Counterpoints (Heavy Prog)
Rush - Signals (Heavy Prog)
Rush - Grace Under Pressure (Heavy Prog)

Sky - Sky (Eclectic Prog)
Sky - Sky 3 (Eclectic Prog)

Styx - Paradise Theater (Prog Related)

Talk Talk - Natural History (Crossover Prog) LOL

Vangelis - Mythodea (Prog Related)

Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking (Crossover Prog)

Wishbone Ash - No Smoke Without Fire (Prog Related)

Richard Wright - Broken China (Crossover Prog)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 28 2022 at 04:09
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 12:48

very interested to know, Paul Smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 13:24
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

very interested to know, Paul Smile

I had no idea I had so many "prog" albums on CD, but maybe that's because I'd only counted my Symphonic Prog albums as being "genuine bona fide prog" previously. Wink
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 13:33
Paul, which 6 Barclay James Harvest albums do you own?
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 14:01

I can tell that similarly to you, Paul, my fave styles are Symph, JRF and Folk, except from that Symph is to much larger degree
than in your case. I disregard here "Crossover", as it's too diverse to conclude anything. 

Edit:
Not quite right, as I'm fond of as many Psych/Space albums as Folk.

Edited by David_D - August 30 2022 at 14:08
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 14:06

Paul, which 6 Barclay James Harvest albums do you own?

Barclay James Harvest and Other Stories
Everyone is Everybody Else
Time Honoured Ghosts
Octoberon
XII
Mockingbird (compilation)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 14:12
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I can tell that similarly to you, Paul, my fave styles are Symph, JRF and Folk, except from that Symph is to much larger degree
than in your case. I disregard here "Crossover", as it's too diverse to conclude anything. 

Edit:
Not quite right, as I'm fond of as many Psych/Space albums as Folk.

I've always thought of Barclay James Harvest as a Symphonic Prog band - although they're listed here on PA as Crossover Prog - and they're more than just a Poor Man's Moody Blues to me. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>