Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cataloguing My Prog Collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 14:24
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Paul, which 6 Barclay James Harvest albums do you own?

Barclay James Harvest and Other Stories
Everyone is Everybody Else
Time Honoured Ghosts
Octoberon
XII
Mockingbird (compilation)

EiEE is my fave... Octoberon, probably my 2nd.. Clap
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 14:33
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I can tell that similarly to you, Paul, my fave styles are Symph, JRF and Folk, except from that Symph is to much larger degree
than in your case. I disregard here "Crossover", as it's too diverse to conclude anything. 

Edit:
Not quite right, as I'm fond of as many Psych/Space albums as Folk.

If to be precise, I can't be quite sure about Symph either, as I've never made a separate list for my Symph albums.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 14:37

I've always thought of Barclay James Harvest as a Symphonic Prog band - although they're listed here on PA as Crossover Prog - and they're more than just a Poor Man's Moody Blues to me. Smile

I'm afraid to say that I have another opinion about BJH. Smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 14:41

I've always thought of Barclay James Harvest as a Symphonic Prog band - although they're listed here on PA as Crossover Prog - and they're more than just a Poor Man's Moody Blues to me. Smile

I think Gone to Earth was possibly the last decent album they made, XII is passable.. after that, it really became soft easy listening pop-rock...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 15:56

I think Gone to Earth was possibly the last decent album they made, XII is passable.. after that, it really became soft easy listening pop-rock...
I'd Love to get hold of that album but I've searched in every record store in Nottingham for it without success so I think it must have Gone to Earth. John Lees' one and only solo album from 1977 is also A Major Fancy of mine too. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 02 2022 at 01:08
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 16:00

And I've totally forgotten the Eclectic Prog albums that I'm fond of, which are more than Folk and Psych/Space, 
so there's surely some difference concerning which sub-genres are my fave comparing to yours, Paul.

Edited by David_D - August 30 2022 at 16:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 16:11

And I've totally forgotten the Eclectic Prog albums that I'm fond of, which are more than Folk and Psych/Space, 
so there's surely some difference concerning which sub-genres are my fave comparing to yours, Paul.

Admittedly, I only have 19 Eclectic Prog albums out of 3200 CD's in total, which works out at precisely 0.59%, so I just need to buy one more King Crimson album to reach 0.6% of the total for Eclectic Prog.. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 16:23

Admittedly, I only have 19 Eclectic Prog albums out of 3200 CD's in total, which works out at precisely 0.59%, so I just need to buy one more King Crimson album to reach 0.6% of the total for Eclectic Prog.. Tongue

But if we just talk about the number, I have 24 "Eclectic" albums, so in that way, the difference is not such big. Smile 

Edited by David_D - August 30 2022 at 16:32
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 17:32

Well you could buy a Bubblemath CD. Worth your time more than KC.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 05:00
This is something that is probably only of interest to me personally, but I noticed exactly 2% of my total albums (64 out of 3200) are Symphonic Prog, so I have a lot of catching up to do in exploring the vast progosphere. Embarrassed

By the way, Marillion's Fugazi is the first Neo Prog album I ever bought and I only purchased it earlier this year, so I have a lot of catching up to do in the Neo Prog arena too. Double embarrassment! Embarrassed Embarrassed

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 31 2022 at 05:16
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 06:11
I'm similar at 58 Symphonic out of 2,300, I have 9 Neo albums, my first was probably Sanguine Hun - Diving Bell

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 09:24
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm similar at 58 Symphonic out of 2,300, I have 9 Neo albums, my first was probably Sanguine Hun - Diving Bell

At least you have three times more Neo Prog albums than I do. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 09:27
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Well you could buy a Bubblemath CD. Worth your time more than KC.

Nah, on second thoughts, I prefer Steve Hackett over King Crimson any day, seeing as they're both listed under Eclectic Prog. Smile 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 09:51

And you have 50% more than I do. Big smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 10:02

And you have 50% more than I do. Big smile

I'd Love to own more Neo Prog CD albums but they're very hard to find at charity shops and car boot sales. They're about as rare as finding Black Sabbath's albums at a Christian charity shop - not that I've looked for them there though.  Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 31 2022 at 10:03
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 10:08
^^ I agree with you Paul, a lot of 90's Neo (other than Marillion) is either out of print and goes for silly money, or in some cases can be bought new for £11- 14, but very rarely comes up 2nd hand... 

Every so often I do come across a bargain which I already own and have thought about letting PA'ers know its whereabouts.... do you think there is any merit in having a Bargains thread, where links can be provided??

Big smile

Edited by Jared - August 31 2022 at 10:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 10:19

^^ I agree with you Paul, a lot of 90's Neo (other than Marillion) is either out of print and goes for silly money, or in some cases can be bought new for £11- 14, but very rarely comes up 2nd hand... 

Every so often I do come across a bargain which I already own and have thought about letting PA'ers know its whereabouts.... do you think there is any merit in having a Bargains thread, where links can be provided??

Big smile
I think that's a reflection of just how good Neo Prog is generally, because serious prog collectors would never give their precious prog albums away to a charity shop, unlike me, who once gave away Pink Floyd's Animals to a charity shop, but then it was an animals charity. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 31 2022 at 10:42
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 10:25

I'd Love to own more Neo Prog CD albums but they're very hard to find at charity shops and car boot sales. They're about as rare as finding Black Sabbath's albums at a Christian charity shop - not that I've looked for them there though.  Tongue

LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 10:45

Time Honoured Ghosts
Octoberon
XII

My favourite BJH album is Once Again, so I'll have to keep a look out for it when I set off for HMV once again. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 11:06

Time Honoured Ghosts
Octoberon
XII

My favourite BJH album is Once Again, so I'll have to keep a look out for it when I set off for HMV once again. Smile
Once Again is one of my all-time favourite prog albums, or albums full stop. Never really got into any other BJH though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>