Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cataloguing My Prog Collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 11:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I think that's a reflection of just how good Neo Prog is generally, because serious prog collectors would never give their precious prog albums away to a charity shop, unlike me, who once gave away Pink Floyd's Animals to a charity shop, but then it was an animals charity. Tongue

I think it tells you that the original print runs were relatively small in comparison the the first half of the 70's when all the artists were on big labels.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 00:59
I’ve always been rather anal retentive about organizing and cataloging my collection. For physical media, Rock and Jazz are organized alphabetically by artist and chronologically within artists. I organize classical by composer, type of work, and then either chronologically or by opus or catalog number. Schubert and Mozart can be confusing in this regard, whereas Bach and Beethoven are easy to organize.

Digital media are organized in iTunes, which with a little elbow grease works really well. I have spent countless hours managing and editing ID3 tags to get things the way I want them.

I have spent so much of my life curating rock sample and fossil collections, that curating my music is just a natural outgrowth of that activity. But I’ll tell you this-organizing music is much easier than organizing the biosphere, which is quite subjective and requires application of stochastic principles. If you think defining progressive rock is hard, you should try organizing brachiopods for size!

Edited by RockHound - September 02 2022 at 01:05
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 01:10
^ BiosphereArchives should be online in November !

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 01:14
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I’ve always been rather anal retentive about organizing and cataloging my collection. For physical media, Rock and Jazz are organized alphabetically by artist and chronologically within artists. I organize classical by composer, type of work, and then either chronologically or by opus or catalog number. Schubert and Mozart can be confusing in this regard, whereas Bach and Beethoven are easy to organize.

I think your first sentence goes for most forum members, Jack!

I have downsized my Classical collection quite a bit now, rather than let it collect dust, but I used to organise mine, firstly in terms of era: Early - Baroque - Classical - Early Romantic - Nationalistic - Proto-Modern. Then, within the confines of each composer as follows: Orchestral - String Orch - Concertos - Chamber (Reducing by number of Instruments from Octets to Duos) - Solo Instrumental - Choral - Opera - Lieder. It generally used to work for me, insofar as I could find everything fairly easily. If I had more than one recording of a work, then they would go in chronological order...

Oh, I do love a good catalogue! LOL
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 01:23
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Digital media are organized in iTunes, which with a little elbow grease works really well. I have spent countless hours managing and editing ID3 tags to get things the way I want them.

I have spent so much of my life curating rock sample and fossil collections, that curating my music is just a natural outgrowth of that activity. But I’ll tell you this-organizing music is much easier than organizing the biosphere, which is quite subjective and requires application of stochastic principles. If you think defining progressive rock is hard, you should try organizing brachiopods for size!

I organise my CD collection into these 25 separate genres, with Prog Rock being one of the smallest genres, but wishing it was one of the largest. Smile

Alternative Rock/Indie Rock  (97)
Box Sets  (110 box sets consisting of 476 individual CD's)
Classical Crossover  (79)
Country  (80)
Dance Music  (82)
Disco  (63)
Easy Listening  (82)
Electronica  (93)
Folk  (106)
Hard Rock  (46)
Heavy Metal/Symphonic Metal  (37)
Indie Pop  (34)
Jazz-Funk/Smooth Jazz  (200)
New Age  (80)
Pop/Rock groups  (249)
Progressive Rock  (174)
Psychedelic Pop/Rock  (138)
Reggae  (3)
Sophisti-Pop  (67)
Soul/Motown  (272)
Soundtracks  (78)
Synth Pop  (36)
Various Artists Compilations  (101)
Vocal: Female  (193)
Vocal: Male  (237)

Number of CD's (in brackets) 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 05 2022 at 14:17
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 01:48
^^ Paul, would it be worth selling some CDs you don't listen to any more on eBay, in order to fund a growing Prog collection?
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 01:55
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

^^ Paul, would it be worth selling some CDs you don't listen to any more on eBay, in order to fund a growing Prog collection?

I've given away CD's to charity shops in the past (including 3 by Tangerine Dream) but I no longer do that as I've always ended up regretting it in the end, especially in the case of Pink Floyd's Animals, which I gave away to a Dogs charity. Tongue
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 02:50

I've given away CD's to charity shops in the past (including 3 by Tangerine Dream) but I no longer do that as I've always ended up regretting it in the end, especially in the case of Pink Floyd's Animals, which I gave away to a Dogs charity. Tongue

Oh, I think every collection is often in need of a bit of judicial pruning... Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 03:08

Oh, I think every collection is often in need of a bit of judicial pruning... Wink
I already pruned out my Bay City Rollers, Culture Club & Glitter Band albums. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 04:37

I already pruned out my Bay City Rollers, Culture Club & Glitter Band albums. Tongue

Sounds like a good idea to me. Big smile

Edited by David_D - September 02 2022 at 04:39
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 05:13
Okay, I've finally added up how many CD's I have in my entire collection across all music genres.....

..... give or take the odd one or three, and I do have a few odd ones in my collection. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 02 2022 at 05:13
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2022 at 01:05

Yes, it's another list. I finally got around to cataloguing my entire prog collection on CD (with the number of albums in brackets) whist listening to Rick Wakeman's 100+ albums. Smile

Canterbury Scene Total Albums = 14

Caravan (10); Steve Hillage (4)

Crossover Prog Total Albums = 99

Argent (1); Barclay James Harvest (6); Be Bop Deluxe (5); Kate Bush (8); Electric Light Orchestra (8); Peter Gabriel (1); Justin Hayward & John Lodge (1);  Kayak (2); The Moody Blues (16); Mike Oldfield (14); Sally Oldfield (3); The Alan Parsons Project (6); Robert Plant (5); Procol Harum (4); Radiohead (3); Rare Bird (2); Roxy Music (2); Todd Rundgren (5); Supertramp (3); Talk Talk (1); Roger Waters (3)

Eclectic Prog Total Albums = 17

Frumpy (1); Steve Hackett (5); King Crimson (1); Sky (2); Traffic (6); Van der Graaf Generator (2)

Heavy Prog Total Albums = 17

Porcupine Tree (5); Rush (2); Uriah Heep (10)

Indo Prog/Raga Rock Total Albums = 2

Quintessence (2)

Jazz-Rock/Fusion Total Albums = 74

Jeff Beck (5); Blood, Sweat & Tears (5); Chicago (6); Billy Cobham (1); Colosseum (1); Miles Davis (2); George Duke (8); Jan Hammer (1); Herbie Hancock (3); Return to Forever (1); Santana (30); Carlos Santana (1); Solution (2); Steely Dan (3); Lenny White (5)

Krautrock Total Albums = 1

Holger Czukay (1) 

Prog Folk Total Albums = 54

Amazing Blondel (1); Tim Buckley (5); Clannad (6); Dead Can Dance (7); Judy Dyble (1); Espers (3); Iona (1); Jethro Tull (6); Loudest Whisper (1); John Martyn (3); Mellow Candle (1); Mostly Autumn (3); Pentangle (2); Strawbs (7); Trader Horne (1); Trees (2); Trembling Bells (4)

Prog Related Total Albums = 98

Jon Anderson (1); Asia (1); Peter Bardens (1); Black Sabbath (4); Blue Oyster Cult (8); David Bowie (10); Budgie (3); Fairport Convention (6); Flied Egg (1); David Gilmour (5); Roger Glover (1); Japan (1); Jean Michele Jarre (2); Jon & Vangelis (5); Journey (2); Led Zeppelin (14); Magna Carta (6); Mercury Rev (3); Jimmy Page & Robert Plant (2); Queen (8); Rainbow (1); Styx (1); Super Furry Animals (5); Vangelis (3); Wishbone Ash (4)

Progressive Electronic Total Albums = 27

Ian Boddy (5); Edgar Froese (5); Kitaro (1); Mark Shreeve (3); Tangerine Dream (12); Wavestar (1)

Progressive Metal Total Albums = 15

Dream Theater (7); Epica (1); Nightwish (7)

Proto Prog Total Albums = 62

Andromeda (1); The Beatles (4); Deep Purple (2); The Doors (8); The Gods (1); The Gun (1); H.P. Lovecraft (2); Jimi Hendrix (5); Iron Butterfly (5); It's a Beautiful Day (2); Jefferson Airplane (10); Nirvana (1); The Pretty Things (2); Spirit (5); Spooky Tooth (7); Tomorrow (1); Vanilla Fudge (5)

Psychedelic/Space Rock Total Albums = 26

Arcadium (1); Astra (2); Group 1850 (2);  Hawkwind (3); Jade Warrior (2); Man (5); Pink Floyd (9); Pond (2)

Symphonic Prog Total Albums =61

Camel (9); Earth and Fire (2); Emerson, Lake & Palmer (1); The Enid (2); Fruupp (2); Genesis (9); Greenslade (1); Kansas (6); Nick Magnus (1); Renaissance (10); Rick Wakeman (5); Yes (13)

Total number of prog albums across all genres = 565

I’d have a brain cells total meltdown. If I was to attempt it. Awesome list I’m impressed
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2022 at 01:08
^ Thanks! It wasn't so much of an effort as compiling my Japanese psych list yesterday though. Smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2022 at 01:31

Okay, I've finally added up how many CD's I have in my entire collection across all music genres.....

..... give or take the odd one or three, and I do have a few odd ones in my collection. Smile

Oh, we can imagine there being a few odd one, Paul! LOL

I have a lovely Oak, wall mounted rack which contains 355 CDs... if I buy some more, others find their way on to eBay, I'm afraid... Embarrassed
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2022 at 14:05

I have a lovely Oak, wall mounted rack which contains 355 CDs... if I buy some more, others find their way on to eBay, I'm afraid... Embarrassed

My collection is a bit bigger, about 450 albums and mostly LP's, and I don't intend to make it much bigger, either. Smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2022 at 14:17
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

My collection is a bit bigger, about 450 albums and mostly LP's, and I don't intend to make it much bigger, either. Smile

One important thing to add David, is that my CDs are keenly guarded by my collection of 18 'Brambly Hedge' mice... Big smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 03:53

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

One important thing to add David, is that my CDs are keenly guarded by my collection of 18 'Brambly Hedge' mice... Big smile
We need a photo of that Jared.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 05:12
Top 12 Oddities & Obscurities from My CD Collection (across 12 different genres of music)

David Axelrod - Songs of Experience (Jazz Rock/Fusion)
Banco de Gaia - Last Train to Lhasa (Dance)
David Bowie - Space Oddity - (Pop/Rock) - an obvious choice! Wink
Cantamus - Aurora (Classical Crossover) - a girls' choir from Mansfield Heart
Holger Czukay - Movies (the only Krautrock album in my entire collection) Shocked
Strange Country (compilation)
Strange Folk (compilation)
Strange Soul (compilation)
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Nat Geo (Progressive Electronic)
Secret Garden - Songs from a Secret Garden (New Age) - winners of the Eurovision Song Contest for Norway in 1995, so maybe not so obscure after all. Embarrassed
Tarja Turunen - Henkays Ikuisuudesta (Symphonic Metal - although not really Metal at all) Wacko
The Zodiac - Cosmic Sounds (Psychedelic Rock)

If anyone else here at PA has any of these albums in their collection, then they're probably not as obscure as I thought. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 06 2022 at 06:32
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 06:24

Top 12 Oddities & Obscurities from My CD Collection (across 12 different genres of music)

Cantamus - Aurora (Classical Crossover) - a girl's choir from Mansfield Heart

Does it contain a 12 minute extended mix of 'Grandma, We Love You?'  Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 06:31

Cantamus - Aurora (Classical Crossover) - a girls' choir from Mansfield Heart

Does it contain a 12 minute extended mix of 'Grandma, We Love You?'  Big smile
It's not that kind of choir. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 06 2022 at 06:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>