Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiacs on streaming services

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiacs on streaming services
    Posted: January 26 2021 at 04:08
The Cardiacs albums are now available on Spotify and other streaming services.
Mrofnoctonod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrofnoctonod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 06:43
That is so good to hear.
Tim Smith is going to be one of those guys who is the "musical-genius-discovered-too-late-and-then-super-revered-along-with-greats-like-Beethoven-forever-and-ever"
I find comfort in that.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 09:39
I certainly wish that I knew Cardiacs when in high school, although I had heard a song at least by then.. Love the band and so wish Tim Smith was still with us. I have been surprised that Cardiacs still isn’t more popular than it is at this site and generally. At the sci-fi forum I belonged to before joining this one, the band seemed to get more love than here when music discussions would arise (really it was just a few vocal fans in a much smaller and more tight-knit community, it is from that site that I started to get into it, although it wasn’t until I listened to Sing to God some years later that I became a big fan. I think my favourite album, if I had to choose just one, is On Land and in the Sea. Hopefully more people will now be exposed to the music that it is available on Spotify and other services. One already lawfully could check out the music on bandcamp: https://alphabet-business-concern.bandcamp.com
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrofnoctonod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 09:44
I couldn't agree more, about wishing I knew them when I was younger. I'm also realistic to admit that personally, I was not ready to appreciate them until about 2003 when I rrrreally got into prog. Before that I would have dismissed them, I'm sorry to say.
Ah well, late bloomers still blossom, and the Cardiacs star is only just starting to shine...
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 23:50
I have made a few attempts, but nothing stuck yet.

Which album would you suggest as an entry point to Cardiacs? Now that they are available on streaming services, I expect more in here will be tempted to check them out.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrofnoctonod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 00:59
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

I have made a few attempts, but nothing stuck yet.

Which album would you suggest as an entry point to Cardiacs? Now that they are available on streaming services, I expect more in here will be tempted to check them out.

The first song I heard of theirs which got me into them was "Is this the life" off the "A little man and the house and the whole world window" album. It made me think of all the best parts of Talk Talk, Tears for Fears, etc, with a blindingly clever guitar solo and the hauntingly beautiful "come-down" section immediately afterwards which was wayyyy before its time for a song that sounds so much like other fairly straight-up pop music of the middle 1980's. Tim Smith's voice was the hardest thing about the band for me to get used to, being so very punk-sounding, and I have NEVER been a fan of punk!
I heard the song and others on this show (which used to be broadcast on the now defunct "Dividing Line" Internet Prog Radio Station), and I would highly recommend this podcast for anyone wanting to dive deep into learning about them:
https://www.theeuropeanperspective.com/?p=1548
The host interviews a man who wrote a book about going to hundreds of Cardiacs concerts, and together the 2 of them discuss the history, ecosystem and context of the band.

Personally, the "Sing to God" double album stands out, but honestly, even at their roughest, rawest early years, Tim Smith and his crew were amazing.

Finally, here's a great Youtube video about Tim Smith being awarded an honorary doctorate in music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr9SZVHjFT0

Hope that helps!

Edited by Mrofnoctonod - January 27 2021 at 01:10
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrofnoctonod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 01:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I certainly wish that I knew Cardiacs when in high school, although I had heard a song at least by then.. Love the band and so wish Tim Smith was still with us. I have been surprised that Cardiacs still isn’t more popular than it is at this site and generally. At the sci-fi forum I belonged to before joining this one, the band seemed to get more love than here when music discussions would arise (really it was just a few vocal fans in a much smaller and more tight-knit community, it is from that site that I started to get into it, although it wasn’t until I listened to Sing to God some years later that I became a big fan. I think my favourite album, if I had to choose just one, is On Land and in the Sea. Hopefully more people will now be exposed to the music that it is available on Spotify and other services. One already lawfully could check out the music on bandcamp: https://alphabet-business-concern.bandcamp.com

It's odd that it took so long to reach other streaming services. They've been on iTunes for years (even here in South Africa where we cannot access artists like Rammstein because of copyright territory BS issues) and I've had them officially available in downloaded format on my ipad in the car for many MANY miles.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 22:16
Adding a possibility for Zeph: Sing to God worked for me. I would like to suggest the "compilation" album Songs for Ships and Irons — which isn't just some album with tracks from other albums, and I treat it as a regular Cardiacs studio album. Hard without knowing what you already have listened to from Cardiacs, but if none of it stuck, you might not even remember. Songs for Ships and Irons is a favourite of mine.

In terms of my favourite Cardiacs songs generally, I love Big Ship, The Everson Closely Guarded Line, The Whole World Window and Dirty Boy, which all have an epic feel.

I wish you success. I love Cardiacs.

Edited by Logan - February 08 2021 at 22:37
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 08:35
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure that "external" websites help the bands a whole lot ... they need to stream and SELL from their own website, instead of a "service" that is owned by the same corporations that have ripped off musicians for 50 and 60 years ... they will NEVER get a "check" that amounts to $5 dollars from Spotify ... and they will say everything was "streamed" and you only get half a cent per listen ... the whole thing is such a scam, because if you could AUDIT the whole thing, you would not have to work a single day the rest of your life!

Just think of the fights that Paul/AppleMusic had with Apple due to the amount of payment ... I can't blame Paul, since he knew he was going to get ripped senseless .... plain and simple! And Apple will NEVER EVER acknowledge their bad ways ... not to mention having built their stuff in cheap places where workers are not paid and are taken advantage of, and then sold for incredibly high prices for something that in today's market is completely substandard!

The only thing that has changed in history ... is the clothing ... and the lower the class the more they will be completely ripped of.

The best to the Cardiacs on this ... but I think that getting one more cent will make a difference in their lives, and I doubt it.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 08:53
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure that "external" websites help the bands a whole lot ... they need to stream and SELL from their own website, instead of a "service" that is owned by the same corporations that have ripped off musicians for 50 and 60 years ... they will NEVER get a "check" that amounts to $5 dollars from Spotify ... and they will say everything was "streamed" and you only get half a cent per listen ... the whole thing is such a scam, because if you could AUDIT the whole thing, you would not have to work a single day the rest of your life!

Just think of the fights that Paul/AppleMusic had with Apple due to the amount of payment ... I can't blame Paul, since he knew he was going to get ripped senseless .... plain and simple! And Apple will NEVER EVER acknowledge their bad ways ... not to mention having built their stuff in cheap places where workers are not paid and are taken advantage of, and then sold for incredibly high prices for something that in today's market is completely substandard!

The only thing that has changed in history ... is the clothing ... and the lower the class the more they will be completely ripped of.

The best to the Cardiacs on this ... but I think that getting one more cent will make a difference in their lives, and I doubt it.
Hey, don't shoot the messenger!
I have no idea why the Cardiacs have gone on Spotify, presumably a record company decision and not one Tim Smith can intervene in sadly. 
Those who wish to financially support the band can still purchase from Bandcamp.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 09:34

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!
I have no idea why the Cardiacs have gone on Spotify, presumably a record company decision and not one Tim Smith can intervene in sadly. 
Those who wish to financially support the band can still purchase from Bandcamp.

Speculation re Cardiacs involved people, but I might think that the music was put on Spotify to gain a greater audience partially out of respect to the late, great Tim Smith (who died in July). Maybe giving him more potential recognition was more important in a way than any alphabet business concerns, and this was thought fitting for his legacy.   I could imagine in their shoes wanting to get the music out to as many as possible as a way of honoring and recognising Tim. I would hope having lost such a key member recently that they aren't just thinking about what's best for surviving participants from Cardiacs, but about getting it out there to as many as possible and in more ways out of recognition for Tim Smith.

Edited by Logan - February 09 2021 at 09:38
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

but I might think that the music was put on Spotify to gain a greater audience partially out of respect to the late, great Tim Smith (who died in July). Maybe giving him more potential recognition was more important in a way than any alphabet business concerns, and this was thought fitting for his legacy.   I could imagine in their shoes wanting to get the music out to as many as possible as a way of honoring and recognising Tim. 

Hi,

Honestly, my comments were about it all helping the band even more, and obviously the late Tim Smith.

But, in the past several years, of the many folks that are in here and there in these services, it's like they are all marginal and not "important" enough, which in some ways is scary for me. Not that there aren't many really good folks there, but even someone like Rachel Flowers (not sure if she includes Spotify or somewhere else), are not waiting for them to get her enough money to ... let's say ... make a good diner for 2 at the end of the month.

Considering that some of these folks DO SELL, and then some, not seeing them do this on their own is just so scary ... and this is probably the part that is hurting a lot of bands become a part of streaming progressive shows ... although I can not bet on that yet, as there are not a whole lot of bits and pieces about that yet.

The Cardiacs deserve the attention ... and I would always welcome it ... it just scares me if these websites really mean "business", or just another scam. Have you ever seen an audit of these services? I haven't ... and are they true? I doubt it.

I hope it works, I really do. If it were my band it would be on an yearly contract ... and I want to see the results at the end of the year ... and you already know the answer ... your band is not selling, though a few folks are listening!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply