Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gigs Ive seen thru the years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gigs Ive seen thru the years
    Posted: January 28 2021 at 01:03
1.First Black Sabbath Tour - Romford 18.10.70
First Traffic Tour after reforming (John Barleycorn)1.1.70
Weeley Festival Aug.71
Zappa Rainbow 10.12.71 - Orchestra Pit night
Bowie Rainbow 20.8.72
Coldplay 2000 - Pub in Oxford
Sonic Youth 31.12.10 Hammersmith - Last UK Tour?
Procol Harum Festival Hall 3.3.17 - Gray Brooker Fall Night

Tip of the iceberg - I also have a few tickets from these gigs. Happy Days

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 03:31
Some great gigs here.

Black Sabbath in Romford? What was the venue?
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 05:22
The Bull in the market square.Im from Chadwell Heath and used to go to a lot of gigs at
the Dagenham Roundhouse - I saw Free / Focus / Family / Groundhogs etc there 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 05:59
Originally posted by chazzaboy chazzaboy wrote:

The Bull in the market square.Im from Chadwell Heath and used to go to a lot of gigs at
the Dagenham Roundhouse - I saw Free / Focus / Family / Groundhogs etc there 

Nice. I'm just down the road from you in Hornchurch. The only "name" bands I've seen locally were at Fairkytes - Wishbone Ash, Judy Tzuke and Hue and Cry - and at the annual bash in Harrow Lodge Park, I've seen The Beat, The Hollies, The Searchers, Paul Young and Toyah there. Never been to the Roundhouse.
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 06:12
My friend I have a projet for you - I am convinced I saw at least 1 band at The Queens Theatre in early
70's (have a ticket stub here) but despite checking into it via the theatre Ive been unable to find out who it was.They say they have no record of live music for that time.Your quest should you wish to undertake it is to find out what rock bands appeared there in the early 70's.
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 06:13
Dagenham Roundhouse I think is a bingo hall / community centre now.Big memories for me
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 06:20
Originally posted by chazzaboy chazzaboy wrote:

My friend I have a projet for you - I am convinced I saw at least 1 band at The Queens Theatre in early
70's (have a ticket stub here) but despite checking into it via the theatre Ive been unable to find out who it was.They say they have no record of live music for that time.Your quest should you wish to undertake it is to find out what rock bands appeared there in the early 70's.
Interesting, I didn't move to Hornchurch until the 90s so this is before my time. I know Queens Theatre was in a different building at one point but I can't remember offhand when it moved. I do belong to a local history group on FB so I can ask if anyone remembers, there are plenty of people there who lived in Hornchurch at the time. They do have bands at Queens as I've seen a few (tribute) bands there.

Do you have any clues as to who it might have been or exactly when it was?

EDIT - the current building opened in 1975 so it might have been at the previous one.

Edited by chopper - January 28 2021 at 06:24
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 06:27
Not sure who it would have been - but if I saw a list I would know almost immediately.Def prog or rock.- Thanks - appreciated.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 07:19
I've asked the question anyway - I'll let you know if anyone comes up with anything.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 05:10
So I asked the question, one person helpfully told me that Queens didn't open till 1976, one person said he saw some big names at the ABC in Romford, one person said try the Romford Recorder archives (might take a while if you don't know the year).

That's all so far.
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 06:37
Thanks for your help - appreciated.I shall try the newspaper - good idea
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 08:38
Hi,

I saw BS in Hollywood, with Nazareth and one other band, and I'm not sure which one it was ... and that show was the worst BS thing I have ever heard ... they were out of it, out of tune, too loud, and the music had the subtlety of a pile driver in your ears ... I doubt it was about the music as much as it was about all the groupies (boys mostly) at the front of the stage ready to kiss anything! It was actually boring, and sick, and I left before they did 4 songs. 

Saw The Moody Blues at the "Forum" (LA) with the worst sound system ever designed by mankind, and the mellotron not agreeing with the sound turning around as they were sort of in the middle of the crowd (off to one side) and the music appear to be bouncing left and right in that place ... the Forum, in those days, was not known for "acoustics" at all and it showed ... it hurt the band more than it helped ... even the singing was echoing around the place!

I didn't get to see FZ ... and should have tried harder, but I was too busy into IMPORTS and the stuff out of Europe from 1974 on, and FZ took a center stage specially after OS came out and everyone all of a sudden was a FZ fan! ... the sheer hippocrisy was incredible, but the FM radio listenership loved the great "hits" that the album had! I had been with FZ's music since 1968 and loved a lot of it, not to mention that so much of it was satirical about the LA area and many of its this and that, which was also being done by The Firesign Theater as comedy (get their early double album!!!) ... which was fun to listen to.

Other than that, I will never get a chance to see Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, or Ryuichi Sakamoto ... all of which would make me cry before I left the show ... the sheer beauty and happiness they have brought me, and others I'm sure, is not likely to be duplicated any time soon.

I did see TD several times ... let's see ... Santa Monica Civic (1st tour), Greek Theater with Lazerium and the trees on fire (see the album picture!), show around the time of Tangram in LA, one show in Portland in 1988 I think it was (the ones with all the white sheets above them as clouds of "dope" as I heard one of them say at one time!

I would have liked to see AD2, Ange, Banco ... for example ... but it wasn't to be ... I miss them terribly but am glad to see that they can still manage to make good music, specially Banco ... and folks here can not listen to TRANSIBERIANO more than 5 minutes! Yeah I would miss that magical voice, but Vittorio's band these days is not any less impressive ... in some ways they are more impressive!

I steered clear of Bowie, Zeppelin, Queen and Elton because in Southern California it became hip to see them, not for the music, but the hip factor ... which really bored me. I did see PF 4 times and then Roger here twice, and was at that show in LA where 714 people got busted before they ever got inside the building, and then during THE WALL, at least 200 people were taken off their seats DURING THE f**kING SHOW because of doping ... and really, it ruined the show, but added another element to it that made "the trial" more valuable and important to the whole thing! I'm not sure that most WALL fans even can relate to that ... but there it was right in front of us .... in plain living color ... and I was mad ... these coppers and narcs would never make themselves shown at a Grateful Dead concert would they?

Edited by moshkito - February 01 2021 at 17:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 19:10
I've seen many of the big groups but none of them with the classic lineup.
PF twice in '88
Genesis 3
TD 1
Roger Waters - probably the best sounding concert I ever heard
Phil Collins 1
Moody Blues 1
ABWH 1
Rush 1
Kitaro 2
Elton John 5 times

And a bunch more
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 18:08
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

I've seen many of the big groups but none of them with the classic lineup. 
Roger Waters - probably the best sounding concert I ever heard

Hi,

Check my review of the show compared to the original WALL ... it was excellent, except that the missing "Quadraphonic Sound" made it seem weaker in comparison ... for example when the girl comes in the room and sees the guitar, in the QS the sound started behind you and ended up front on the speakers, and in Roger's version it merely went from left to right, and it sounded cheap by comparison ... he certainly had the resources to make it better sounding, but stuck to the simplistic thing that was not half as good or as valuable as the original was to your imagination.

In many ways, it took the "experience" away from you PERSONALLY and put it on a stage for you to see and the ability to feel that is very different ... and in many ways not as important.

It was a very good concert and all the folks performed admirably, but then the original was indeed a great mind blower for everyone concerned and I seriously doubt they could improve on that ... when they split up ... even PF without Roger was not as nice sounding as the original QS thing ... which was really far out ... and their opening for the Hollywood Bowl, still is, for me, the best of them all! ONE OF THESE DAYS, had its opening stretched and it went around you in the Quadraphonic Sound, enveloping you in its sound, and then incredible piece of music ... not very many people EVER got to experience PF so soundly, and so strongly as that moment. And the loudness after all that in the rest of the tours was not a good replacement.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 12:33
I find these lists fascinating.  I'll go through my first five:

Druid, Nottingham Playhouse (1976) - a good substitute for Yes - my first proper gig!
Genesis, Leicester De Montfort (1977) -  'Wind and Wuthering' tour - yes, I did get to see them with Hackett
Henry Cow, Nottingham Victoria Leisure Centre (1977) - yes, I did see them with Dagmar!
Hawkwind, Leicester De Montfort (1977) - 'Quark' tour, first of two occasions I saw them with Calvert
Peter Gabriel, as above - first album, rewarded with 'Back in NYC' as the encore
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 13:28
I'm sad enough to have kept most of my ticket stubs, so I have -

Genesis - Hammy Odeon June 11th 1976
Yes - Wembley Oct 27th 1977
Rush - Hammy Odeon Feb 19th 1978
Be Bop Deluxe - Hammy Odeon Feb 25th 1978
Yes - Wembley 3rd Oct 1978 (the version of Don't Kill The Whale on Yesshows comes from this gig)
Rush - Hammy Odeon May 4th 1979
Peter Gabriel - ditto March 12th 1980
Rush - ditto June 8th 1980
Yes - ditto Dec 16th 1980
Marillion - Milton Keynes 28th June 1986 (Jethro Tull also on the bill I think)
ABWH - Wembley 28th Oct 1989
Yes - ditto 28th June 1991
Yes - Royal Albert Hall 20th Feb 2000
Greg Lake - Dartford 12th November 2005
Pendragon - Mean Fiddler 16 June 2006
Anderson & Wakeman - Southend 24 Oct 2006
Spocks Beard - Mean Fiddler 13 May 2007
Rush - Wembley 9th Oct 2007
Pendragon/Magenta - The Peel 8th Nov 2008(?)
ELP, Opeth, Steve Hackett, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash at High Voltage 2011 (?)
Roger Waters - Wembley, 14 Sep 2013
Yes - Southend 30 Apr 2014
Kate Bush - Hammy Odeon Sep 2014
The Enid - Cadogan Hall 2 Apr 2016
Susanne Sundfor - Union Chapel Oct 2 2017
Lifesigns - Borderline, not sure and also The Lexington
Susanne Sundfor -Barbican not sure
Soft Machine - Borderline 16 Nov 2018
Rick Wakeman - Union Chapel 17 Dec 2019
and various Tinyfish gigs

Edited by chopper - May 01 2021 at 13:36
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 13:56
I'd have to dig into my storage bins to find my envelope of ticket stubs, but I have one and it has almost every stub from every event incl. sports in it.
However, if memory serves me, my first ever concert was The Guess Who, London Gardens (London,On) October 20, 1972. First time I ever smoked Hash. An old couple (maybe Early 30's) Wink passed a pipe down the row to us (me and 7 friends from high school). I happened to be next to them so I asked them what it was. Green Moroccan Hash they said. Needless to say the concert was EXCELLENT !

My second one might have been Rush at Centennial Hall (London,ON) July 25 1974. We didn't get a lot of name band concerts in London back then. Most of them were in Toronto. Symphonic Slam opened for them.

Edited by JD - May 01 2021 at 13:58
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 14:43
Not many prog artists on my list but I´ve seen quite a few (mostly metal related) artists through the years:
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/UMUR/artists-i_ve-seen-live/
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 09:24
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

I find these lists fascinating.  I'll go through my first five:

Druid, Nottingham Playhouse (1976) - a good substitute for Yes - my first proper gig!
Genesis, Leicester De Montfort (1977) -  'Wind and Wuthering' tour - yes, I did get to see them with Hackett
Henry Cow, Nottingham Victoria Leisure Centre (1977) - yes, I did see them with Dagmar!
Hawkwind, Leicester De Montfort (1977) - 'Quark' tour, first of two occasions I saw them with Calvert
Peter Gabriel, as above - first album, rewarded with 'Back in NYC' as the encore
A huge list, especially with Be Bop Deluxe (although I've never heard The Enid, Opeth, or Tinyfish). [meant for Chopper's list]

Edited by Rednight - May 07 2021 at 09:25
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply