Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites out today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:45
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

No offense, there's way better pop out there.

like what? 

It will take a long time to list that, but even the newest two Taylor Swift albums are better than the newest Steven Wilson album.

god no... 
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:50

like what? 

It will take a long time to list that, but even the newest two Taylor Swift albums are better than the newest Steven Wilson album.

god no... 

I used to one of those close-minded people until I branched beyond progressive rock and progressive metal. There's lots of good music out there and the newest two Taylor Swift albums are actually pretty good. Aaron from the National co-wrote those songs and he is an excellent songwriter. I used to think Taylor Swift was utter trash and the two newest albums have convinced me otherwise. I think while she is not a fantastic musician, her newest two records are at least decent. Why would Steven Wilson cover her latest song from Folklore? Embarrassed
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:54

like what? 

god no... 

I used to one of those close-minded people until I branched beyond progressive rock and progressive metal. There's lots of good music out there and the newest two Taylor Swift albums are actually pretty good. Aaron from the National co-wrote those songs and he is an excellent songwriter. I used to think Taylor Swift was utter trash and the two newest albums have convinced me otherwise. I think while she is not a fantastic musician, her newest two records are at least decent. Why would Steven Wilson cover her latest song from Folklore? Embarrassed

I do not listen exclusively to prog (rock and metal) and I listen to all sorts of music, but I will never be able to enjoy some one like Swift. And I tried a little bit. Plus you hear her music without ever wanting to as well. Dead
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:57

like what? 

god no... 

I do not listen exclusively to prog (rock and metal) and I listen to all sorts of music, but I will never be able to enjoy some one like Swift. And I tried a little bit. Plus you hear her music without ever wanting to as well. Dead

Then try her two newest records if you are truly open-minded. It is way different than anything she has released. 

LOLLOL

Edited by King of Loss - February 01 2021 at 00:59
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:00

like what? 

god no... 

Then try her two newest records if you are truly open-minded. It is way different than anything she has released. 

I don't think that if I dislike Swift makes me close-minded, I don't even like her vocals/voice. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:02
That's fine, but to write her off as just utter-sh*te is not fair. There are far sh*ttier pop records out there like the Future Bites.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:09

That's fine, but to write her off as just utter-sh*te is not fair. There are far sh*ttier pop records out there like the Future Bites.

I did not say that she's "utter-sh*te" (your words not mine), just that i dislike her. Big difference. 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:10

I did not say that she's "utter-sh*te" (your words not mine), just that i dislike her. Big difference. 

Fair enough, but then why did Steven Wilson cover a song from Taylor Swift's Folklore album? Embarrassed
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:29

Fair enough, but then why did Steven Wilson cover a song from Taylor Swift's Folklore album? Embarrassed

Maybe Wilson liked that song. 
I don't know that cover, will you post a listening link, please? 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:30

I already did. Look above.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:36
Aaron from the National co-wrote all of the songs on the latest two Taylor Swift albums, including that song. He's a great songwriter and knows how to write good memorable poppy songs.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:38

"meh". 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:41
I think the problem with Steven Wilson is that he's not really good at writing pop. He should stick to his strengths.Embarrassed
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:43

"meh". 

I bet if you do a sort of an experimental, blind hearing test, people will think differently about that song.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:46

I think the problem with Steven Wilson is that he's not really good at writing pop. He should stick to his strengths.Embarrassed
And repeat himself 156 times? Why would he do that? He is the artist, so he decides which way to go. He's not some musical bitch! I think he writes great pop songs, and he's done it since the very first Porcupine Tree album - Piano Lessons, Four Chords That Made a Million, Drown With Me, Lazarus, Hand Cannot Erase, My Book of Regrets, Permanating, Song of I are some of the songs that could fit the pop tag, and are pretty cool!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:48
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

And repeat himself 156 times? Why would he do that? He is the artist, so he decides which way to go. He's not some musical bitch! I think he writes great pop songs, and he's done it since the very first Porcupine Tree album - Piano Lessons, Four Chords That Made a Million, Drown With Me, Lazarus, Hand Cannot Erase, My Book of Regrets, Permanating, Song of I are some of the songs that could fit the pop tag, and are pretty cool!

Those are quite different than the direction he's taken on this record. I don't think many of those songs are as good as his more progressive songs. Not even close. He's not Benny Andersson or Paul McCartney.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 02:37
Poor Steven. If he does prog he’s chastised for doing retro-music that he preferably should leave to the classic bands..be unique or go home!
Then when he does something different he’s accused of not being true to his pork roots.
He just can’t win.
Personally I would like Steve Wilson to do whatever he feels like. If it’s good music I’ll probably end up buying it - regardless of the tag.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 02:57

Aaron from the National co-wrote all of the songs on the latest two Taylor Swift albums, including that song. He's a great songwriter and knows how to write good memorable poppy songs.

You say that like it's a good thing. 
Bigger on the inside.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 03:35
Nothing wrong with Taylor Swift. And there’s nothing wrong with pop. I interviewed Julia Marcell after her prog-pop album Skull Echo was released last year, and one of the things we talked about was the narrow-minded thought processes a lot of so-called progressive fans have towards pop. It’s like it’s anathema to some people if a band dare go pop - especially if they experience commercial success because of it.

As for SW, he has definitely been doing pop since the beginning. The one song that doesn’t work for me as well as the others on TFB is 12 Things, because it is so similar to songs like Lazarus from his past.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 05:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Poor Steven. If he does prog he’s chastised for doing retro-music that he preferably should leave to the classic bands..be unique or go home!
Then when he does something different he’s accused of not being true to his pork roots.
He just can’t win.
Personally I would like Steve Wilson to do whatever he feels like. If it’s good music I’ll probably end up buying it - regardless of the tag.

^THIS! Clap

There's something to be said about being obscure. When you go in a different direction, your one or two fans get over it in about 5 to 15 minutes and usually you never know that they were upset to begin with.

Edited by progaardvark - February 01 2021 at 05:15
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>