Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three albums run - Camel vs Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What's your favorite out of these?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [41.67%]
35 [58.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three albums run - Camel vs Genesis
    Posted: February 06 2021 at 22:50
It's almost even because ATTWT isn't a good album. The strength of ATOTT and W&W gets Genesis over the line.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 22:45
The years when Tony Banks ran Genesis wins for me
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 14:52
Camel by quite a way, because ATTWT is way below the others and Moonmadness is the best by some way.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 08:52
Camel, because of ATTW3...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 08:40
Camel.....because Moonmadness is my favorite of the 6 lp's named.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 01:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Genesis but please name the albums. Big smile

I did, but I see you haven't read my original post. Ouch
Opps, you're right. My bad then. Ty
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 01:45
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I wouldn't vote, since I don't know 2 of the Camel albums, but I guess it would be Genesis. I would have found the more predictable choices more interesting, with Nursery Crime, Foxtrot, and Selling England vs Mirage, The Snow Goose, and Moonmadness... or well, I would like to think it would have been more interesting, though I guess it would actually have been an even wider landslide for Genesis... I myself might have ended up voting for Camel in that case.

that's not a bad idea for a poll, maybe you should create it. 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 19:54
I wouldn't vote, since I don't know 2 of the Camel albums, but I guess it would be Genesis. I would have found the more predictable choices more interesting, with Nursery Crime, Foxtrot, and Selling England vs Mirage, The Snow Goose, and Moonmadness... or well, I would like to think it would have been more interesting, though I guess it would actually have been an even wider landslide for Genesis... I myself might have ended up voting for Camel in that case.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 15:15
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

Went for Genesis.TOTT and WAW are classics. However the two later Camel albums Raindances and Breathless are far better albums than their scores on here denote. They are not overtly prog but are fun and I prefer them these days to ATTWT.

That is a good point.  Those 2 Camel albums are perhaps, or should be, entering a period of re-appraisal amongst fans and non fans alike.  To my ears, the passing of decades has been very kind to them.  At the time I lamented the change in style and the move away from the "classic" Camel sound as defined by the previous three albums.  Now I realize how bold and accomplished they were.  OK I will never like them as much as those earlier albums but I think they deserve a lot of love, or at least respect
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 15:06
Went for Genesis.TOTT and WAW are classics. However the two later Camel albums Raindances and Breathless are far better albums than their scores on here denote. They are not overtly prog but are fun and I prefer them these days to ATTWT.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 14:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Maybe not fair for me to vote since I'm not that familiar with those Camel albums but I have at least heard them. I voted for Genesis anyway.

how are you NOT familiar with 70s Camel?!
unless of course you don't like them...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 14:02
Maybe not fair for me to vote since I'm not that familiar with those Camel albums but I have at least heard them. I voted for Genesis anyway.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 13:28
Camel of course.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 13:00
Camel very easily;   Trick is the only album that is as good as Rain Dances or Breathless (and it's still nowhere near as good as Moonmadness)

Edited by kenethlevine - February 05 2021 at 13:01
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:59
Genesis even though it has imho the start of the poppy not prog!!!! Album ATTWT!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:53
Good poll, by the way. Very evenly matched. Tough choice. A 'Both' option softens the process, thus making the choice more difficult, but Prog is not for sissies.Tongue
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:51
Moonmadness and Wind & Wuthering are two of my favorite albums. Rain Dances and ATOTT are both excellent. Breathless and ATTWT are both quite enjoyable, but I have to say I like Breathless better - it has an upbeat style and I like the sound of the album as a whole. Giving the vote to Camel.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:13
Interesting poll.....on the strength of WaW - more specifically, on the strength of Hackett's contributions of WandW, I chose Genesis.  Close though - Camel really did "progress" as a band during these years with Moonmadness being a personal favorite.......but Hackett, man, Hackett.

Edited by Intruder - February 05 2021 at 11:14
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forgotten Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 10:39
Moonmadness > A Trick of the Tail
Rain Dances < Wind and Wuthering
Breathless > And Then There Were Three

Camel takes it for me.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 10:15
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Genesis but please name the albums. Big smile

I did, but I see you haven't read my original post. Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>