Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LOUDER: The 12 greatest prog drummers ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LOUDER: The 12 greatest prog drummers ever
    Posted: February 09 2021 at 12:26
The 12 greatest prog drummers ever | Louder (loudersound.com)

Quote "I apologise to your parents."

That was Neil Peart's stock answer when faced with young drummers who told him how much of an influence he'd been. Because, let's face it, drums aren't the most discreet instrument to master. They're loud, they're expensive, and they take up more them than almost any other instrument.

So hats off to the dozen drummers detailed here, who've overcome those hurdles to become the greatest sticksmen progressive rock has to offer, delighting audiences worldwide with ever-expanding kits, ever-lengthening solos, and everlasting genius.

Edited by verslibre - February 09 2021 at 12:28
RadlyGnarly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadlyGnarly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 12:34
 Easy list, great Peart quote though. All great prog bands need a great drummer.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:00
Nick Mason is an interesting choice:

Originally posted by Louder Sound Louder Sound wrote:

Nick Mason
Pink Floyd’s long-standing drummer, Mason was the dextrous engine room behind some of rock’s most adored and spectacular moments. Plus, having reignited the flame of Syd Barrett-era Floyd with his group Saucerful Of Secrets, he’s kept his chops in top shape.

Bill Bruford was an obvious choice.

I tend to favour the jazzier ones, and people like Christian Vander, Pierre Moerlen, Mani Neumeier, Pierre van der Linden, Jaki Liebezeit, Chris Cutler...

Edited by Logan - February 09 2021 at 13:01
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:07
I personally think it can be a bit too much with 10-12 toms, 3-4 bass drums and 117 cymbals. Very often less is more - which is why Nick Mason is probably my favourite among these. He is no virtuoso, but his playing is perfect for the music, and an important element in the sound of the band.

I admire Jaki Liebezeit too.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:20
Nice list. It's good to see Gavin & Marco on there along with the usual suspects. (Neil, Phil, Bruford, Palmer...)  
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:27
Nice list. But you know who is often overlooked? Jerzy Piotrowski of SBB.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I tend to favour the jazzier ones, and people like Christian Vander, Pierre Moerlen, Mani Neumeier, Pierre van der Linden, Jaki Liebezeit, Chris Cutler...

Both guys named Pierre are awesome!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:31
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I agree!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:48
Any list missing Moerlen, Cutler and Vander is invalid.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 14:04
Personally, I don't really feel it's right for Nick Mason to be on the list but not Alan White. However, Bruford is on there so I'll try not to complain too much. Wink 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 14:06
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

What about the guy from Arti e Mestieri? Tongue

I would say Guy Evans and Phil Ehart also.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 14:29
One of my favourites that hardly ever gets mentioned is Giulio Capiozzo of Area. Franz Di Cioccio of PFM wasn’t too shabby either. I guess that they might discount many of my favourites as being jazz drummers playing in progressive rock bands. If they were more open to jazz-fusion, then someone like Billy Cobham of Mahavishnu Orchestra quite likely would be on the list. I do think that such greatest lists tend to be an exercise in futility. More interesting tends to be the justifications and methodology than the list itself, and one questions how great is the list users knowledge and expertise, and how do they even attempt to seem relatively unbiased and varied in the choices.

Edited by Logan - February 09 2021 at 14:32
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 14:30
Nod to missing drummers...

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 14:54
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Nod to missing drummers...

[video removed for space]

I guess the drummer must be bored with the music he is playing?
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 14:54
Let me know when one of these list-makers discovers Tatsuya Yoshida.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 15:08
Tatsua Yoshida is great.

By the way, I guess being LouderSound, it favours louder bands. I just notice a lot of hard rock and metal types in the list and I suspect that the writer is not a big fan of the more Avant Prog ones. Not surprising to focus on the more mainstream ones when doing “greats” generally.

Edited by Logan - February 09 2021 at 15:16
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 15:16

Tatsua Yoshida is great.

By the way, I guess being LouderSound, it favours louder bands. I just notice a lot of hard rock and metal types in the list and I suspect that the writer is not a big fan of the more Avant Prog ones.
Nick, Phil and Bill, metal? Hardly.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 09 2021 at 15:16
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 15:41
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Tatsua Yoshida is great.

By the way, I guess being LouderSound, it favours louder bands. I just notice a lot of hard rock and metal types in the list and I suspect that the writer is not a big fan of the more Avant Prog ones.
Nick, Phil and Bill, metal? Hardly.

If you want to argue that there are not a lot of hard rock and metal types in the list, then I'm ready to learn.

I never said or implied those were (I didn't say all and I said hard rock and metal). I meant that it lists many "louder bands" with drummers who played in hard rock and metal bands, or made hard rock and metal music. I think they are going for drummers who play harder or flashier rather than the more subtle generally, but perhaps I'm wrong (Mason is not a flashy drummer). Of course I'm playing on the word louder for some humour (my humour rarely works), and that was what I most going for.

A reason why one of my brothers doesn't like King Crimson is because he finds it too hard rock (of course it depends on the piece). I mentioned jazz, and Bruford does come from that jazz tradition as they note, but an album like King Crimson's Red is definitely on the hard rock side (King Crimson might well be called a "louder" band by many even if it isn't always). Interestingly, they choose a jazz performance from Bruford as the video to highlight him (so my earlier jazz drummer comment does not seem true based on my first look). Neil Peart, the number one, played hard rock, influenced metal drummers, and Rush influenced progressive metal. Mike Portnoy, progressive metal. Gavin Harrison, they reference In Absentia and I would call that hard alternative rock with metal qualities. Marco Minneman has a hard rock/ metal pedigree in bands he has worked with. Danny Carey of Tool, involved in metal. Pat Mastelotto has been pretty varied, but the video they post sounds metal influenced to me. Mike Mangini, involved in Prog Metal.

They cover quite a few post-classic era ones, and there especially I do seem to see a hard rock or metal bias (heavy prog) in terms of the kinds of projects that the drummers have worked in. Frankly, I would have stuck with the classic era ones.

For more soft Prog drummers playing really quiet music see softersound.com

And here's some heavy duty Pink Floyd for you:

Edited by Logan - February 09 2021 at 16:07
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 16:39
A rather traditional list of prog drummers by LouderSound, hence why Portnoy and Mangini are listed. Super pleased to see Minnemann listed. As well Gavin is being noticed more and more, which is nice too...Gavin is so insanely musical its cra-cra.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 16:53
I'll go with the guy who drummed on Thick as a Brick, A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery and Songs From the Woods.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>