Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Preferred album of David Bowie's Berlin trilogy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preferred album of David Bowie's Berlin trilogy

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [50.00%]
7 [38.89%]
2 [11.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preferred album of David Bowie's Berlin trilogy
    Posted: February 11 2021 at 19:36
Which album of David Bowie's Berlin Trilogy do you prefer?

My vote goes to the in my opinion very underestimated "Lodger", by the way.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:18
Well, I live in Warszawa, so... Wink

Edited by Tuzvihar - February 12 2021 at 10:18
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:35
Heroes is great, the two others have their moments - but also their moments when they annoy me.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 14:50
Heroes just narrowly over Low.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 14:58
I may be high but I’m feeling Low.

I’d vote for all three if it were an option.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 15:23
I chose Heroes, just for today. Edged out Low.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 15:37
Heroes, followed by Low. Never cared for Lodger.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 15:39
Low just over Heroes and both over lodger...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:04
I really like Lodger, but I always felt it was a mistake to launch it as part of a trilogy with Low and Heroes. It doesn't belong with them, and in many ways I think it resembles Scary Monsters more. Favourite track: probably "African Night Flight".

Then there are Low and Heroes, and it's a tough choice between the two. Both are amazing albums.

I'll go with Low.

By the way, I made an analysis of the Berlin Trilogy in my final year in high school. It included more thorough song analyses of "Sound and Vision", "Sense of Doubt" and "Boys Keep Swinging" respectively.

Edited by The Anders - February 12 2021 at 16:07
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 01:20
Low and Lodger to me are far more interesting albums than Heroes. My vote goes to Lodger. There’s not a bum track on there and the experimental edge coupled together with an Eno on fire really get my juices flowing.
Red Money, Red Sails, Assassin, Fantastic Voyage, D.J, Boys Keep Swinging and more where they came from.
Granted..if you’re coming from Bowie’s more conventional albums like Ziggy or indeed Heroes, it may take a few spins to unleash it’s charm on you
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 02:05
Low. Killer songs and those awesome grim soundscapes. Heroes is dead equal but had to go with one...

Lodger just not quite there. Good album though with some great songs.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 02:18
Low. Side 2 is one of the best parts of Bowie's catalog. I strongly dislike Lodger.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 03:32

Always found it a bit funny that Low would be considered as an essential Berlin album, since (the way I understand it) most of it was born in Herouville - the album was finished in Berlin.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 08:59
Low for me, easily. Definitely superior to Heroes. Lodger is still a nut I haven’t quite cracked yet. I’ve found it a tough listen so far, but maybe it’ll hit me one day.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 10:18
Only one of Bowie’s Berlin trilogy really belongs there geographically, and that is “Heroes”. You could make an argument that Bowie’s “real” Berlin trilogy was The Idiot, Lust for Life and “Heroes”.

Even the argument that the three albums grouped together as the Berlin trilogy are done so because of sonic, rather than geographic, similarities is a bit off - as Lodger pairs better with Scary Monsters than with Low and “Heroes”.

I love all three, and I’m not sure I can really decide which I like more. I like each of them for quite different reasons. If my hand is forced, I’m going for Low today - but I can almost guarantee I’d give a different answer tomorrow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

BobafrigginFeet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobafrigginFeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 13:55
It works if you listen to Lodger with the mindset of listening to a Zappa album
 Post Reply Post Reply