Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chick Corea Memorium Poll #1: Return to Forever
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chick Corea Memorium Poll #1: Return to Forever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which is your favorite RTF album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [33.33%]
7 [15.56%]
1 [2.22%]
21 [46.67%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:24
WHIKYB

Just listen to that.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:42
this is my favorite Chick Corea album:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Return_to_Forever.jpg

here an excerpt:

Edited by BaldJean - February 12 2021 at 16:44

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 18:08
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Spinning that one right now! Thumbs Up
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 00:12
^Be sure to vote for it in my upcoming poll.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 00:14
"This next one is written by Stan Clarke, it's called "Vulcan Worlds":

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 09:11
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^Be sure to vote for it in my upcoming poll.

Are you doing separate polls for Chick's solo electric albums, the CCEB and Chick's solo piano records?
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 12:33
Probably. It will go in eras for his solo material, but there will be an Elektric Band poll. I have yet to delve into his solo piano stuff much, so that might come after I've listened a bit. Or who knows? Maybe I'll do it beforehand to get an idea of which ones I should listen to first.
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 09:43
Lots of HeartHeartHeart on my account for this beauty (way beyond RTF):

(I wonder where it is on PA's ranking  Pinch LOL  (half) joking...  Tongue ).

Listen to the upbringing Theme To The Mothership, what a beautiful song... with that sort of maritime (or space) ship, trip and/or adventure-starting motive..  fix on the bass.

Edited by Machinemessiah - February 15 2021 at 17:48
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 12:39
Bump
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 13:15
7th galaxy
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 13:43
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Spinning that one right now! Thumbs Up
Yup. His and theirs classic.

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

P.S. Not including Return to Forever (the album) and Light as A Feather as those are more like Chick solo albums. They will be included in another poll.

I think you're wrong (especially about LAAF), but it's your right to be wrongTongueWink
They desrrved to be here

Hymn for me.
Yeah I don't get it. To me there's no real solo album feel to any of them. Also I much prefer these to anything in the poll. But I like Where Have I Known You Before too so it got my vote. I find Romantic Warrior plain awful and it represents everything that went/was wrong with this sort of "mainstream fusion" in the mid-to late 1970's. Soulless, sterile w**kery.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 13:59
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I find Romantic Warrior plain awful and it represents everything that went/was wrong with this sort of "mainstream fusion" in the mid-to late 1970's. Soulless, sterile w**kery.
I respect your opinion but it's wrong. There is nothing sterile or soulless about "Romantic Warrior". It opened the fusion door for me. I find the album oozes with extra soul.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 15:51

Where Have I Known You Before (1974)

I find Romantic Warrior more Progressive but also more polished, synthetic and Pop-influenced.

Edited by David_D - August 20 2023 at 16:12
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 16:44

I find Romantic Warrior plain awful and it represents everything that went/was wrong with this sort of "mainstream fusion" in the mid-to late 1970's. Soulless, sterile w**kery.

Actually, I see similar trend in the mainstream '80's Jazz-Rock/Fusion as in Neo-Prog comparing to 70's Progressive Rock, and that is getting (more) synthetic and Pop-influenced.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 00:11
^yes, I agree with you
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I respect your opinion but it's wrong. There is nothing sterile or soulless about "Romantic Warrior". It opened the fusion door for me. I find the album oozes with extra soul.
I respect your wrong opinion as well, so we're all being very respectful here:)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 06:11

^yes, I agree with you

And I find "soulless", not the same verve as in the '70s, also to be a good characteristic.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 06:44
Chick Corea's best music happened before he started Return to Forever.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 08:29
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Chick Corea's best music happened before he started Return to Forever.
Chick's music was brilliant all through his career. One of his last projects, Trilogy, is amazing.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 23:16
These beauties were written after Chick started RTF...
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 10:45
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Actually, I see similar trend in the mainstream '80s Jazz-Rock/Fusion as in Neo-Prog comparing to '70s Progressive Rock, and that is getting (more) synthetic and Pop-influenced.

On the other hand, some of the Jazz-Rock/Fusion around the world included elements of traditional and regional classical music with very fine results.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>