Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Hillage: The Hippie from Outer Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Hillage: The Hippie from Outer Space
    Posted: February 14 2021 at 08:56
Steve Hillage has been part of the Canterbury Scene since the late 1960's. It all began when he teamed up with keyboard player Dave Stewart for the self-titled Arzachel album in 1969. They went onto even greater things together in 1972 with the acclaimed one-off album by Khan: Space Shanty  - voted the best Canterbury Scene debut in a recent poll. Steve Hillage was also a long-standing member of the Jazz Fusion collective, Gong, before making a splash with his debut solo album, Fish Rising in 1975. If you like Canterbury Scene music, this fish-themed album will have you hooked! His follow up album is one L of a good album too. Smile

Steve Hillage Albums

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 21 2023 at 13:33
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 09:46
he also is a guest on the 3rd Egg album "The Civil Surface"

Edited by BaldJean - February 14 2021 at 10:01

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 12:10
Fish rising!! masterpiece!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 12:57
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Maybe the band Egg poached Steve Hillage from Gong. Tongue
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 13:02
Egg is nothing else than Arzachel without Hillage.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 13:05
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I've always liked that album cover. LOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 14:07
Later Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy did some techno (or rather "Ambient Dance", as Wikipedia says)  as "System 7".
I've got to say that this remix of one of my favourite songs ever is super-stunning, even if I'd be the only one on this site who can appreciate it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 15:18
Steve Hillage - Live at Rockpalast, Germany - 1977

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 16:47
Love Hillage. Khan is beyond words! Anyway, here is Steve's other project... System 7.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 17:04
Khan's Space Shanty has been one of my very favourite albums. It's not one I have easily been able to listen to since early 2008 because it was a painful time and that was the music I was most listening to for solace.

Arzachel is my other favourite. I do like Hillage's Green. Fish Rising was a disappointment for me when I picked it up, but there is very good music on it. I'd heard that it was like a cross between Space Shanty and Gong's You, which were the two albums I was most into at the time, and for me it didn't reach the peaks of either. I have since returned to it and liked it more, but I guess that initial disappointment due to my expectations never totally went away.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 18:52
It's "L" for me!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 02:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Khan's Space Shanty has been one of my very favourite albums. It's not one I have easily been able to listen to since early 2008 because it was a painful time and that was the music I was most listening to for solace.

Arzachel is my other favourite. I do like Hillage's Green. Fish Rising was a disappointment for me when I picked it up, but there is very good music on it. I'd heard that it was like a cross between Space Shanty and Gong's You, which were the two albums I was most into at the time, and for me it didn't reach the peaks of either. I have since returned to it and liked it more, but I guess that initial disappointment due to my expectations never totally went away.

I love the Arzachel album too. Steve Hillage is just one of the many outstanding artists I've discovered since joining ProgArchives. Until recently, not only did I not realise he was part of the Canterbury Scene, I didn't even know there was such a thing as the Canterbury Scene before arriving here just seventeen months ago. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 02:03
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

It's "L" for me!

I picked up "L" in a handbasket of CD's recently. Smile
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 02:24
Like all his stuff but Fish Rising is probably my favorite thanks to the addition of Dave Stewart, who along with Dave Sinclair are my favorite keyboard players. Steve also features heavily on the Clearlight Symphony album which is in a similar vein. 

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 08:17
Aw, Rainbow Dome Musick is a great album! I mean, I suppose I could see why someone would hate with it not really having the drive or the pulse of a conventional rock album while also being too attention-demanding to serve as ambient music, but I think it's a wonderful listening experience personally.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 08:36
I've always thought he should have an album titled "Pillage the Village by Hillage.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 08:37
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Aw, Rainbow Dome Musick is a great album! I mean, I suppose I could see why someone would hate with it not really having the drive or the pulse of a conventional rock album while also being too attention-demanding to serve as ambient music, but I think it's a wonderful listening experience personally.
It's okay if you like that kind of thing, but I found it a bit of a drone. Maybe you have to listen to the musick inside a dome to truly appreciate the album. Smile
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 11:51
Love his guitar playing especially on Fish Rising. Great melodies and great solos too.

Edited by yogev - February 15 2021 at 11:53
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 12:26
I have the four albums: "Fish Rising", "L", "Motivation Radio", and "Green". My favourite track is "Lunar Musick Suite" (which I distinctly prefer to "Solar Musick Suite"), as well as "The Glorious Om Riff", which I have since discovered is based on a Gong track.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 12:33
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I have the four albums: "Fish Rising", "L", "Motivation Radio", and "Green". My favourite track is "Lunar Musick Suite" (which I distinctly prefer to "Solar Musick Suite"), as well as "The Glorious Om Riff", which I have since discovered is based on a Gong track.

I have those same four Steve Hillage albums too. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>