Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cardiacs-Pendragon 4 Dirty Boy Masters of Illusion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiacs-Pendragon 4 Dirty Boy Masters of Illusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Dirty Boy or Master of Illusion?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [43.75%]
9 [56.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiacs-Pendragon 4 Dirty Boy Masters of Illusion
    Posted: February 14 2021 at 14:14
In what might well be the final of these , I took two tracks off two very well regarded and classic albums from 1996. I would think that it would be a rare forumite who has heard of Pendragon that hasn't at least heard of Masquerade Overture and it would be methinks a rare forumite who has heard of Cardiacs who hasn't at least heard of Sing to God. I thought that these two songs would make for an interesting pairing.

Cardiacs - Dirty Boy

Pendragon - Masters of Illusion

Some PA album stats:
Sing to God has a 4.26 with 320 ratings
Masquerade Overture has a 4.05 with 700 ratings

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 14:17
Pendragon - The Masters of Illusion
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 14:27
Just to add some covers, so many of Dirty Boy despite the album not having very many ratings here.

For fun, here's an a cappella version of Dirty Boy from a cover album of Sing to God called Singin' to God (yes, I do have this cover album). They also did a The Residents cover album. If anyone knows a cover you like of Masters of Illusion, please post it.

That's a version I sing along to.

Not required listening of course, unlike having heard both original songs in the poll.

And I really like this cover:

And this I really like too:

Edited by Logan - February 14 2021 at 15:43
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 14:39
Easily, Pendragon. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 15:01
Would pick Dirty Boy over Pendragon's whole discography. 

Edited by Homotopy - February 14 2021 at 15:02
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 15:20
I should abstain.

That particular Cardiacs song just isn't for me.

The Masquerade Overture was the second-to-last Pendragon album I paid money for. "Master of Illusion" is the sonic equivalent of the album's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink cover art: They try to sound like at least three different bands (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd) inside thirteen minutes, and thus it sounds like they're going through the motions.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 15:56
Another great Cardiacs song against a good Pendragon one.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 16:01
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I should abstain.

The Masquerade Overture was the second-to-last Pendragon album I paid money for. "Master of Illusion" is the sonic equivalent of the album's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink cover art: They try to sound like at least three different bands (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd) inside thirteen minutes, and thus it sounds like they're going through the motions.

I wasn't as confident in my choice for Pendragon this round as last, but then I do prefer The Jewel to Masquerade Overture. I do hear what you mean. And I figured this Cardiacs you wouldn't care for.

I had planned to go for As Good as Gold from Pendragon, which I prefer, and I forgot and changed my mind. That would have worked better I think. Silly.

The only other one I do want to do is an instrumental one of both. I know which Cardiacs track I'd go for (All His Geese are Swans)

As for Dirty Boy, I adore it (posted a few covers because I love the love music itself so much). It was the song that turned me onto Cardiacs and remains one of my very favourites. An ear opening song for me that made me an instant fan, and then I got Sing to God. More recently I have been returning to earlier material.

Next stop, Dream Theater vs Tangerine Dream (just kidding, and it's already been done, but as a joke).

Edited by Logan - February 14 2021 at 16:05
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 17:09
Cardiacs.

Honestly, these Cardiacs songs have not been my favourite of the band, but over Pendragon, they win every time.

Edited by Spacegod87 - February 14 2021 at 17:10
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 18:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I should abstain.

The Masquerade Overture was the second-to-last Pendragon album I paid money for. "Master of Illusion" is the sonic equivalent of the album's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink cover art: They try to sound like at least three different bands (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd) inside thirteen minutes, and thus it sounds like they're going through the motions.

I wasn't as confident in my choice for Pendragon this round as last, but then I do prefer The Jewel to Masquerade Overture. I do hear what you mean. And I figured this Cardiacs you wouldn't care for.

I had planned to go for As Good as Gold from Pendragon, which I prefer, and I forgot and changed my mind. That would have worked better I think. Silly.

Nah, it's all good. These mash-ups are fun!

On TMO, they really dialed it up. It's their "We're gonna compete with IQ and Marillion" album. I guess it sold decently, moving around 10,000 units in the U.K. alone within weeks of release.

The only other one I do want to do is an instrumental one of both. I know which Cardiacs track I'd go for (All His Geese are Swans)

Sounds good!

Next stop, Dream Theater vs Tangerine Dream (just kidding, and it's already been done, but as a joke).

Are you serious? How did I miss that one!? Shocked
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 18:21
Fun stuff, I am actually have a lot of fun with this, and enjoying the contrasts between switcing my head band and forth between songs by Cardiacs and Pendragon, while I have this strange cnnection between the in my mind.

The forums are slow anyway, so I don;t feel too bad doing another This time short tracks, and I'll go back to the Jewel and just do the first one and first one off an 80s Cardiacs album, and this pairing works for me, but it might not for anyone else.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 20:50
I love  "Dirty Boy", epic itīs the word
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 05:22
Actually, The Masquerade Overture was the last Pendragon album I bought. I listened to most of their later work (I think I only missed their Pure album...), but it became all to formulaic to me.
I very much like the assumed over-the-topness of this Cardiacs track - not my favourite of theirs but between these two I prefer this Cardiacs one.

Edited by suitkees - February 15 2021 at 09:26

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 07:00
On this one, Pendragon.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 08:30
Pendragon very easily.
The Masquerade Overture is an astonishing album.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 11:45

Pendragon - The Masters of Illusion
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply