Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere are our mp3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 17:21

Have to admit I quite like the streaming MP3s.

p

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 17:25
Theres one good thing about streaming them, I can now listen to them at school, I couldn't before because MP3s are filtered.
I'm so prog, I clap in 9/8
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 17:48

Cripes I've only been away two days and look what happens. I've read a couple of pages of this thread before writing this and my view still hasn't changed from previous threads. I think the mp3's are a great idea and led me to buying loads of CDs. Yes I have downloaded loads of them. But only to listen to them in my own time, get used to the bands style and if I like them I more often than not get the featured album plus a few more besides. If the music is not my style the mp3 is deleted. What's the point in clogging up one's hard drive with music that is not my style. I also delete the track once I have bought the album so that I can listen to it in full.

In fact I usually don't buy now unless I have heard the track a few times. For me, I have to be in a certain mood to match the music I am listening to. Streaming will inevitably lead to missing out on some albums because I wouldn't be in the right mood. Moody git I know, but aren't we all?

To those types who gloat over downloading as many tracks as they can - shame on you  You are obviously spoiling it for those of us who take this site seriously and appreciate what it brings. It's just not cricket. The word 'parasite' springs to mind

I have an interest in marketing and I always thought that this site was an excellent source of quality music. I have always advocated that record labels should do what most companies do and market their wares - often using free samples. Many times I have passed through the train station to be handed some promotional pack. I see no difference here provided we follow some basic rules.

I don't like the streaming system as it stops when you change pages. I personally like to listen to music whilst I am navigating this site or even computing generally. I have bought 200+ CDs since being a member of this site, with no signs of it slowing down - if anything it is increasing exponentially. However, if the record companies continue to take this line then they can kiss goodbye to my patronage. I usually operate on a give and take principle, this seems all take by the record companies to me.

Rant over, but I had to say it

M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 18:52
Originally posted by limeyrob limeyrob wrote:

I don't like the streaming system as it stops when you change pages. I personally like to listen to music whilst I am navigating this site or even computing generally.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

I will however (soon) allow visitor to POPUP the Streaming App to surf while visiting progarchives.com others pages

Prog On !
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 06:42

By the way, should the the description text in the prog archives home page be quickly fixed? There still reads "Progressive Rock Ultimate Discography ... with MP3 and reviews"!  This text is seen at least when one uses MS Explorer...

Edit: Oh, ofcourse the streams are mp3's also. Too hasty post, sorry.

Edited by Eetu Pellonpää
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 06:58
Many bands' official websites contain MP3 samples for downloading. Most of the older bands don't but a lot of new ones do. On the Jadis website, you can even order a sample CD to be sent to you for free.
The Mister View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 09:23

Ooh... another friendly suggestion: Track time elapsed/total.  I want to know how long until (1) the next track or (2) the next restroom break.

And another: a pause button (stop means I have to start the song over and I can't search to the middle).

Woo!

Norm Cash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 10:22

M@X

I know you're working hard to come up with a solution to things here, but could you (or someone else if you don't know) please answer the question about why PA simply didn't drop the MP3s of the labels that complained?

Like many others, I too enjoyed the ability to easily download an mp3, take it with me wherever I wanted to go, and give it a good listen before deciding whether I wanted to pursue that particular artist. As a direct result of the files on offer, I've purchased some 60 CDs in the course of the past 4 months, most of which I'd NEVER have considered had I not had the chance to listen first.

In fact, limeyrob sums up my feelings absolutely perfectly in his post above.

Unfortunately, it looks as if PA has already made the decision to go fully for the streaming option, and since this isn't a democracy I guess the best thing that we, as users, can do is support guys like M@X in the job they're doing to try to provide us with the best system we can get. The absence of fully downloadable mp3s certainly won't stop me from using PA to further my knowledge and enjoyment of progressive music.

"We did it....you and me! Put him right under the table!"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 10:42
Originally posted by limeyrob limeyrob wrote:

I have an interest in marketing and I always thought that this site was an excellent source of quality music. I have always advocated that record labels should do what most companies do and market their wares - often using free samples. Many times I have passed through the train station to be handed some promotional pack. I see no difference here provided we follow some basic rules.

Yes, I think it's in the record companies' interests to give a few free samples. For example, the record company Inside Out could probably make a good profit if they went into collaboration with this site giving a few free samples of their albums. I'm sure that there is a lot of stuff on Inside Out that I'd like but I just never hear it.

I used to buy Metal Hammer magazine.  They would give a free CD each month with samples. I would usually buy one of the CDs from the sample. It's a shame that there is nothing like this for prog. I would love to see something like this and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Where do the record companies think we're going to hear this stuff? On Prog FM Radio?

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 10:46

Of course you can also listen to a lot of prog internet radio stations:

http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?s=progressive

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 10:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Of course you can also listen to a lot of prog internet radio stations:

http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?s=progressive

I'm hoping to do that in the future but at the moment with my Internet connection it's useless.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 11:03
^ there are many 24 or 48 kbit channels that should work with a dialup connection ... although the audio quality is sub optimal and you shouldn't try to access web pages while listening.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 18:49
For those of you still interested in free MP3 downloads, you can visit

http://music.download.com 

They have MP3's from many genres of music, including some pretty cool post rock stuff.  A lot of it is placed there by band members trying to get their music out.  Most of it is not from bands posted here but they do have some that is (Mars Volta, Explosions in the Sky, etc.)

I have to agree with many others who have posted - I have but over 100 cd's this past year, largely a result of this website and after downloading MP3's that I could listen to at my leisure.  Those I didn't like were deleted and those I did povided a good sampling and led to me buying the cd.

If at all possible, bring them back.

Edited by rushaholic
Darin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 07:11
I just started using this site about 5 months ago, and I've really enjoyed it. Progressive music is pretty new to me as a genre. As in... I've listened to a lot of bands that were considered "Progressive" and liked them, but I never realize how vast it was, and how much more was out there - so this site really helped in that way.

I thought at first the MP3s were neat, but didn't think much of them... but quickly started to! I began reading about a band, and would download the MP3s. My problem is I don't always want to listen to a song immediately, or to have to be online or be at my computer to hear it.

So I would download these MP3s and put them on one huge playlist, and listen to them while laying down... or I would listen to them in the car, etc. I've come to enjoy so many bands it's ridiculous! I've bought a lot more CDs lately because of it - A LOT!

I enjoy the streaming idea. It looks neat and works well. But I will miss the MP3s and I agree with some that this will make it less encouraging for people to listen to new music. I do wish there was MP3s in addition to streaming. I like being able to instantly hear the artist FROM the artist page if you want to while you're reading, but the ability to download was what really got me listening!

With downloading I could hear the songs in a setting not so... critical I guess? Like how I would just naturally listen to my other music. I could hear it when I wanted to, become interested in something I wasn't really listening FOR.

Anyway, I don't want to get on anyone for it. I understand the reasoning behind it. I like the look of the streaming so far, and I really like some of those future ideas!

I guess it could work both ways... While for someone who doesn't like to hear songs right away always, who like to just kick the songs up whenever, or those who want to hear them away from the computer... I'm sure they will be less involved/interested in the way they were.

But this new streaming way could work very well. You can sure listen to songs faster and more randomly! I enjoy that. I like that each page will have a playlist, and you can listen to whole genres - that's a big plus. Any improvements, like User-specific playlists, could make a much better communitity. Say you find a review you really agree with, and you want to see what else the user likes... you can do that now, but maybe you could have the option to listen to their playlist. That would be cool.

Anyway, I like the idea a lot. I will just miss the MP3 downloads and I wish there would be that option still in some way. But streaming might work great too... and I'm excited for any improvements.

One request... the text is hard to read! Can it be made bigger/taller/bolder somehow?

Anyway, good luck with things, and maybe in some form the MP3s can return. But either way, I think the streaming thing could open up a lot of new possibilities for things here, and especially a better community!

- Darin
flying teapot View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 15:04

As so many MP3 sites had to disallow the downloading I was quite surprised to find Progarchives to have loads of MP 3's available. I also believed that Progarchives had their "rears" covered to the fact that they had cleared all MP3's with the corresponding artists or record companies.

The fact that we can listen, and even better with Prog-rock which often needs a few plays... to download it is a pity the whole site has lost ALL Mp3's.

Downloadable MP 3 can be a make or break situation for many new bands, and can bring attention to older bands re-issues. Especially in Prog-rock it is essential that one can listen to the songs or albums in its entirity. It is up to the artist to evaluate the benefits of this, they should be able to overwrite the record companies decision...it is the same as if a band has the songs to download on their personal webpage.

It is Progarchives duty to make sure that the mp3's are legal...tis can be a huge job that may be far bigger than web owners or or webmasters can handle. We often forget that many websites are just a single person effort.

I have to admit I downloaded my share, and have discovered dozens more bands that I would not have had a chance to listen to. The fact that we still can listen to some of the songs by stream is an Okay alternative, but indeed you have to be on the PC, on the site to listen to it, and THAT is what makes the download better. I listened to the music I downloaded while driving in the car, working or elsewhere away from the computer...that is what makes it more versatile.

I appreciate the downloads I have, but the wel being of Prog archives is far greater and more worth while. I hope that a "improved" version can return some artist to "downloadable level" It is a good promotion for many foreign bands, or those starting up, PROG is unique and cannot fall under the normal regulatory rules of record companies.

ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 15:37
There

Edited by ShW1
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 09:25
Originally posted by ShW1 ShW1 wrote:

dear m@x

Where are the MP3 of THINKING PLAGUE ?

I've just now posted a review of THINKING PLAGUE - HISTORY OF MADNESS. I gave it 5 stars. I worked very hard on the review. I've recommend to listen to Rapture of the deep - and now see that its gone! vanished!

the band record at lausy Cueniform records that complaind.

How the f**k they think i could reach this band? to reach this album? this album IS NOT THE PREFARED TP ALBUM by the members of this site - how could i reach it if i wouldnt LISTEN to it?

m@x, you said that there will be streaming instead of downloading - you didnt say that some tracks will be VANISHED!

There's no reason to get all agressive! Max can't help this. The Cuneiform label contacted ProgArchives and demanded that all mp3s from their artists (including Thinking Plague) had to be removed.

Stiefel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 11:55

i think it could be good to have a complete list in alphabetical order of all the streaming mp3, maybe to find in the band index, under the single letters (so you click band index 'A' and you find the list of bands and the list of streaming music concerning them).   

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 13:41

Originally posted by The Mister The Mister wrote:

Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

So you can't stream music to your computer, unless you have a broadband? How does that feature work?
It's not a "feature".  Simply put, you CAN stream music without broadband, but it takes forever, and you can only listen to bits and pieces of the song in 20-second segments with long pauses between, since the bits and bytes can only be sent to the listener at the rate that the dialup connection is physically able to provide.  If it takes 15 minutes to download a 5 minute track, you will be listening to ~20 seconds of song followed by ~40 seconds of silence followed by the next ~20 seconds of song, etc., for 15 minutes.

The solution is to stoplistening to the stream. It will continue to download to your computer, when it is about halfway through press play et voila! That should give you uninterupted play!

blacc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 21:18
 HI EVERYONE! I HAVE DISCOVERED MANY BANDS, PREVOUSLY UNKNOWN TO ME, BY DOWNLOADING AND LISTENING MP3 FROM PROGARCHIVES.  I HAVE BOUGHT CDS OF
         &nbs p;
         &nbs p;                               ARENA,
         &nbs p;                       DREAM THEATER,
         &nbs p;                    PAIN OF SALVATION,
         &nbs p;                               PALLAS,
         &nbs p;                            THRESHOLD,
         &nbs p;                           QUEENSRYCHE,
         &nbs p;                               ANGRA,
         &nbs p;                       FATES WARNING
         &nbs p;                             ENCHANT ETC.

AFTER LISTENING THOSE MP3 AND FINDING THESE BANDS VERY INTERESTING.
I AM VERY SAD BECAUSE DUE TO MY PSTN-DIALUP INTERNET CONNECTION I CAN'T LISTEN THE STREAMING MP3 NO MORE.I HOPE THAT IN THE  FUTURE MOST OF THE MP3 OF THIS SITE WILL BE AGAIN "DOWNLOADABLE".
  THE RECORD COMPANIES MUST UNDERSTAND THAT THE MP3 SELECTION (ONE SONG PER ALBUM THE MAXIMUM) OF THIS SITE MADE MANY PROGRESSIVE MUSIC FANS AWARE OF NEW OR OLD BANDS. AND I THINK THAT FACT INCREASED THEIR PROFITS AND HELPED MANY BANDS. IF MOST RECORD COMPANIES LIKE "INSIDEOUT" OFFER FREE MP3 IN THEIR SITES

CHECK:  www.insideoutmusic.com/

I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THE LIMITED MP3 SELECTION THAT OFFERED THIS SITE CAN HARM THEM. PROGRESSIVE ROCK ISN'T "ONE SONG FROM AN ALBUM" AND OUR MUSIC HASN'T HIT SONGS. MOST PROGFANS LISTEN AND LOVE PROGRESSIVE ROCK ALBUMS AS A WHOLE.
  WE ONLY WANT TO HEAR NEW AND DIFFERENT SONGS AND IF WE LIKE THEM THEN WE BUY  THE ALBUM.
  ANYWAY, CONGRATULATIONS TO PROGARCHIVES FOR BEING A SITE FOR THE TRUE MUSIC LOVERS AND I WISH THEM GOOD LUCK IN THIS BATLLE AGAINST THE PEOPLE WHO EXPLOIT PROGRESSIVE MUSIC, PROGRESSIVE BANDS AND US.

&nbs p;                   "SEASONS CHANGE AND SO CAN I..."  DT

&nbs p;                                                                         BLACC,
         &nbs p;                                                                         GREECE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>