Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pawn Hearts is the most popular album on PA!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pawn Hearts is the most popular album on PA!
    Posted: February 19 2021 at 00:25
As the subject says, the legendary album by Van der Graaf Generator is the most popular one on the site right now. Has there been a reissue recently, or there is just a common spark of interest for this grandiose sonic journey?
Maybe this could be a reason for this post to become a 'Pawn Hearts' appreciation post? I personally adore the album, it scares the hell out of me, and is one of the most satisfactory experiences when you have some good headphones on! Smile

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - February 19 2021 at 00:25
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 00:54
It's quite a journey, but perhaps its popularity on PA is also because of its controversy. I imagine Genesis fans reading review after review in order to find a clue of why any-one would listen this nightmarish record. I myself love the album. It also serves as a great cathartic experience for coping with a brain-melt caused by everyday live.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 02:15
I don't need to say anything... my username says it all.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 03:07
It's because Pawn Hearts is a 6/5 record and SEBT is only 4/5 because of More Fool Me Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 03:08
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I don't need to say anything... my username says it all.

well, you still said something. 

God knows how that "most popular album (last 24 hours) works, I think it's the most visited album page in 24 h or something. Confused

But it's a solid album, why wouldn't it be popular ?!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 03:43
The stats constantly change on PA.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 04:41
It's a conspiracy. Peter Hammill has been visiting the Pawn Hearts page and hitting F5 to bump it up to number one.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 07:21
Boooo! Put it back to that Serge Fiore album that seems to just chill at that top spot every other week!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 07:27
it turns 50 years old in coupla months, so maybe an anniversary deluxe edition boxset is on the way with Steven Wilson remasters and all
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 08:27
Well it's certainly not popular with me. 
I'd rather drink the contents of a bedpan than listen to it.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 08:43
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

LOL

Well..it's only rated at #12 in the best of all time list.
I have an original vinyl as well as a cd version...rarely play it....but I will say it is a 'unique piece of music'.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 08:43
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

that's harsh, gross and unnecessary... 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 08:49
I love the album.

It can be divisive, much like the contents of Hercules' bedpan, which may be ambrosia (nectar of the gods) to some and utterly unpalatable to other tastes.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 08:52
My girlfriend was pulling out records based on the cover the other day for us to listen to. She grabbed that album and I was just like "yeaaaaahhhh that might not exactly be your cup of tea." Maybe one day if she spends enough time with me LOL 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 09:13
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

It's quite a journey, but perhaps its popularity on PA is also because of its controversy. I imagine Genesis fans reading review after review in order to find a clue of why any-one would listen this nightmarish record. I myself love the album. It also serves as a great cathartic experience for coping with a brain-melt caused by everyday live.
I like that way of putting it, quite accurate. Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 09:28
It's an OK album, I would not go so far as what Hercules said but I can for sure appreciate his comparison, plus its funny as hell. We need more of that honesty around these parts, prog is too pretentious and all that usually.

I have a repress from 1972 on the large mad hatter Charisma label, non pink, gatefold version mastered at Bell Sound in NY.........I spin it 3-4x a yr probably. The inside gatefold pic he's holding a watermelon looks like, freaking weird people man!

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:41
I just  recently bought this (I also recently acquired He to he and the least we can do) on cd(yes, I still buy cds). I had them all a long time ago but foolishly sold them because I thought I needed the money. 

Anyway, Pawn Hearts is currently number 12 on here and not number 1. Not sure what chart the op was referring to. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 19 2021 at 11:49
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:45
Quote Not sure what chart the op was referring to.

I'm pretty sure it's the " MOST POPULAR ALBUM (last 24h) " thing
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:51
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Quote Not sure what chart the op was referring to.

I'm pretty sure it's the " MOST POPULAR ALBUM (last 24h) " thing

Oh I see. Well, lot's of different albums pop up on that. In fact some on here have speculated that it's related to advertising or something like that or that people pay to have their albums show up. 
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 05:12
Great album, not best, and also not nightmarish or weird at all for me.
Am I missing something? Do I need to be on an acid trip like the rest of you?

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>