Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pawn Hearts is the most popular album on PA!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 06:43
"Pawn Hearts" is a masterpiece. In my personal top 10. Of course number one is "Fairy Tales" by Mother Gong.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 08:29
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

It's quite a journey, but perhaps its popularity on PA is also because of its controversy.

Clap

controversy??  Goddamn right.

since you are on the right track.. one I've tread with this album for years on this forum... can you elaborate why you think it is controversial. See if you get a 2nd clappie
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 09:18
^ Inner gatefold.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 09:20
I'll be listening to it this weekend. I recently bought it again and it's been a long time since I heard it. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 11:53
Pawn Hearts imho is a incredible spiritual journey
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 10:33
so no one complaining about that Kayak album as the most popular? LOL 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 13:01
Ok, I just listened to Pawn Hearts today for the first time in many years. I stopped after lighthouse since I didn't feel like listening to the bonus tracks(for me they should always be separate listenings). Anyway, I'm not sure what to think. I'm definitely going to need to listen to it again and maybe give it several listenings before I can completely get it and enjoy it. It's not bad and I can see why it's considered a masterpiece but it can be a lot to take in. I also listened to the previous two over the past couple of days and have more or less the same impression. VDGG isn't a band for everyone but I think they are one of the most special prog bands of all time and definitely one of the most unique. No one sang with as much angst and passion as Peter Hammill imo. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 21 2021 at 13:03
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 16:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No one sang with as much angst and passion as Peter Hammill imo.

I agree. No one quite like him.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Old Father Thames View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Father Thames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 17:15

It's quite a journey, but perhaps its popularity on PA is also because of its controversy. I imagine Genesis fans reading review after review in order to find a clue of why any-one would listen this nightmarish record. I myself love the album. It also serves as a great cathartic experience for coping with a brain-melt caused by everyday live.
I consider myself one of the biggest Genesis out there and I love VDGG and all of their material. They're one of my favorites.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 17:30
Originally posted by Old Father Thames Old Father Thames wrote:

It's quite a journey, but perhaps its popularity on PA is also because of its controversy. I imagine Genesis fans reading review after review in order to find a clue of why any-one would listen this nightmarish record. I myself love the album. It also serves as a great cathartic experience for coping with a brain-melt caused by everyday live.
I consider myself one of the biggest Genesis out there and I love VDGG and all of their material. They're one of my favorites.
You fanned on the word fan , right after Genesis! WinkEmbarrassedTongue LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 17:51
I see more of a connection(at least musically) between VDGG and King Crimson than I do with VDGG and  Genesis. They all had dark elements in their music though.
Old Father Thames View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Father Thames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 08:56
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by Old Father Thames Old Father Thames wrote:

You fanned on the word fan , right after Genesis! WinkEmbarrassedTongue LOL
Haha, damn, so I did. 
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 14:01

I see more of a connection(at least musically) between VDGG and King Crimson than I do with VDGG and  Genesis. They all had dark elements in their music though.

I think the main connection between Genesis and VDGG were they were both part of the Charisma label stable.. Tony Stratton Smith had the same kind of intense gut response to their music so developed them in a similar way (and sent them both out into emerging european markets).. but then he also felt the same about Lindisfarne (who actually generated some money for the label rather than debt!).. Imagine being on the tour bus of one of the '6 Bob' tours circa early '72 with Lindisfarne, VDGG and Genesis.. Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks sitting at the front, eyes forward, nervously hugging their hamper whilst Phil Collins and Steve Hackett hang out at he back with Lindisfarne supping their Newcastle Brown ale and VDGG lounge in the middle creating exotic herbal smells!LOLWink

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - February 22 2021 at 14:02

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 14:04
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I think the main connection between Genesis and VDGG were they were both part of the Charisma label stable.. Tony Stratton Smith had the same kind of intense gut response to their music so developed them in a similar way (and sent them both out into emerging european markets).. but then he also felt the same about Lindisfarne (who actually generated some money for the label rather than debt!).. Imagine being on the tour bus of one of the '6 Bob' tours circa early '72 with Lindisfarne, VDGG and Genesis.. Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks sitting at the front, eyes forward, nervously hugging their hamper whilst Phil Collins and Steve Hackett hang out at he back with Lindisfarne supping their Newcastle Brown ale and VDGG lounge in the middle creating exotic herbal smells!LOLWink

Is that how they were actually sitting in the tour bus or is that just your interpretation of how it was? WinkTongue
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 11:22
I'm paraphrasing various written and verbal accounts from sources such as the VDGG 'The Book' ,Richard Mac Phail, various other books and articles on Genesis and the Charisma label and from other Charisma label artists such as Chris Adams of String driven thing and Alan Hull of Lindisfarne. And yes there's a bit of my own imagination in there too (the hugging the hamper bit certainly)WinkTongue

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 11:26
Arc of Life, new supergroup, barely released is the MOST POPULAR ALBUM (last 24h)
no comments? LOL
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 14:41
^ The name "Billy Sherwood" is attached to it, that should tell you everything you need to know about that dumpster fire album.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 05:23
Arc of Life deserves merely a 3 word review. Arc of Shіt. xD
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 05:28
now Gojira's new album, to be released in April is the most popular (last 24 hours).
I feel like there's something wrong with that setting or there are a lot of lurkers on PA that check out those albums that end up there. I do not know. Stern Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 00:01
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

now Gojira's new album, to be released in April is the most popular (last 24 hours).
I feel like there's something wrong with that setting or there are a lot of lurkers on PA that check out those albums that end up there. I do not know. Stern Smile

Is there an actual algorithm in place, or is it like if five people in an hour search the same thing the site deems that MASSIVE TRAFFIC! Lmao.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>