Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can you please recommend me best songs from these
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you please recommend me best songs from these

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you please recommend me best songs from these
    Posted: February 20 2021 at 12:19
Can you please recommend me best songs from these bands?

Genesis (Peter Gabriel era only) , King Crimson, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer.

Im trying to put a document together on music, and i realised that when it comes to classic prog rock, my knowledge of good songs from this music is too scanty.    With Neo Pro Rock and Prog Metal i was able to pull it off, but not with classic prog rock.

With Pink Floyd ive picked One of These Days, but whats their best song from Dark Side of The Moon?,  i know the song Money, but thats it.    When Progressivearchives had free song streaming on here back in the 00s, there was a King Crimson song i thought was alright, but i dont remember the name of the song now.   I think it was from the In The Court of the Crimson King album.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 12:28
Genesis - Supper's Ready
King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man
Yes - Close To The Edge
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 12:51
From "Dark Side...", try "Great Gig in the Sky".
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 12:55
While BEST is a subjective perspective here are ones I find highly representative of each band.
Most of these bands have the 'classics', such as Supper's Ready as mentioned above. My choices may differ.

Genesis - The Knife & Firth of Fifth
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King & Fracture
Yes - Heart of the Sunrise & Release, Release
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - The Three Fates & Trilogy
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 13:27
A top 5 for each:

Genesis - The Cinema Show, Firth Of Fifth, Supper's Ready, The Musical Box, Watcher Of The Skies
KC - 21st Century Schizoid Man, Starless, Fracture, Indiscipline, Level Five
Yes - Close To The Edge, Heart Of The Sunrise, Yours Is No Disgrace, Awaken, Gates Of Delirium
ELP - Tarkus, Knife's Edge, Abaddon's Bolero, Karn Evil 9 (full suite), Toccata 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Corcoranw687 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corcoranw687 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 13:51
King Crimson has to be Starless, definitely their most "Crimson" song.
Yes - Awaken, Heart of the Sunrise
Genesis - The Cinema Show
ELP - Tarkus
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 13:55
Genesis - Firth of Forth
King Crimson - Epitaph
Yes - Homeworld (The Ladder)
ELP - Romeo & Juliet
Pink Floyd - Us & Them

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 20 2021 at 13:56
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 13:59
Genesis - The Knife
King Crimson- Starless
Yes - Close To The Edge
ELP - Karn Evil 9
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 14:01
what stops you from exploring their discographies on your own?  Confused
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 14:49
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

From "Dark Side...", try "Great Gig in the Sky".

Seconded.   

Also thinking something like that.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 15:00
^^ Incredible time constraints? Overwhelmed with the document. Ultimately lacking interest in exploring for oneself? I did wonder the same.

I believe the King Crimson song was 21st Century Schizoid Man

Best is subjective, but here is my list:

Genesis - "Cinema Show" and "In the Cage"
King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man" and "Red"
Yes - "Heart of the Sunrise" and "South Side of the Sky" or "Close to the Edge"
Pink Floyd (Dark Side...) - "The Great Gig in the Sky" and "Eclipse"
ELP - "Trilogy"

Edited by Logan - February 20 2021 at 15:03
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 15:07
In my view, Tarkus (the song) it ELP's sonic and compositional pinnacle. But Trilogy is more 'even' as an album.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 15:20
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Genesis - The Knife
King Crimson- Starless
Yes - Close To The Edge
ELP - Karn Evil 9
Being the target audience is not familiar with anything more than current pop music, these 4 songs from Genesis, KC, Yes (Roundabout is suitable too) and ELP seem the best bet. For a pick from Dark Side Of The Moon I would go with Time/Breathe reprise.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 07:32
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Because i kind of want a heads up on what are widely considered among the best songs from these bands.   Exploring anything prog related by yourself takes a very long time.   Its like i bought Thresholds latest album in 2018, and even in 2020, i was still getting to know that album.

I will admit, when it comes to exploring progressive music, ive found myself more interested in neo prog rock and prog metal, over classic prog rock.   But im gonna give these suggestions a go for myself.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 07:46
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

I will admit, when it comes to exploring progressive music, ive found myself more interested in neo prog rock and prog metal, over classic prog rock.   But im gonna give these suggestions a go for myself.

Hi,

I would like to add something to the "listen for yourself" contingent ... after almost 50 years in a lot of this material, there is one thing that is really important and the reason why we remember it and love it ... it's effect on us was incredible, and we just about remember every one of those moments.

AND, more importantly, the thing that helped was that at the time IT WAS ABOUT THE ALBUM a lot more than it was about one piece or a song. Thus, your "experience" was much more detailed and important when hearing a lot of these things.

I don't know that a lot of the suggestions we make will help ... I kinda think that they will come off as out of context for your ideas, and you might not be able to comment or enjoy them like you otherwise could or should.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 07:52

Because i kind of want a heads up on what are widely considered among the best songs from these bands.   Exploring anything prog related by yourself takes a very long time.   Its like i bought Thresholds latest album in 2018, and even in 2020, i was still getting to know that album.

for me nothing's more rewarding to discover music on my own, which with the internet is so much easy. Finding out about music before the internet has made things easier seems so long ago. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 10:28

for me nothing's more rewarding to discover music on my own, which with the internet is so much easy. Finding out about music before the internet has made things easier seems so long ago. Smile

The internet won't give you opinions about specific bands or songs though and I think that's what he was getting at. He wanted a more personal touch. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 12:55

I have to disagree with this approach for me. If it weren't for others, many of who I met in the early days of usenet groups, I wouldn't have (not discovered) learned about their existence at all let alone whether they were worth checking out or not. Ozric Tentacles, Spock's Beard, FrenchTV, Alglagard and Ars Nova, just to name a few, were brought to my attention by other members of the newsgroups and I am grateful to this day.

So, newbies...ask away, you've got my support.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 13:16

Let me suggest you a change in your question: don't ask about songs, ask about albums.
Anyway, sticking on song, I'd say

KC - 21st Century schizoid nar od Starless
ELP - The Endless Enigma part 1 and 2 (with Fugue im between)
YES - Close To The Edge
Dark Side - Any Colour You like
Genesis - Whatever you want. I don't like them.
Give also a try to Jethro Tull - Aqualung.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 15:14
King Crimson - Lizard. I wonder why no-one mentioned that one yet.
Yes - The Gates of Delirium. In my opinion much better than "Close to the Edge".
My Genesis recommendation will probably not be supported by anyone. It is "Waiting Room".
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Take a Pebble.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>