Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do we want from the artists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 18:28
For once, I agree with mosh. I don't want anything specific from artists because I don't know what I want. I didn't know I wanted hip hop until a few years ago. It all depends on whether at that particular point in time, what the artist makes resonates with me.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 19:23
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

For once, I agree with mosh. I don't want anything specific from artists because I don't know what I want. I didn't know I wanted hip hop until a few years ago. It all depends on whether at that particular point in time, what the artist makes resonates with me.
Without sounding old and decrepit, any off the wall or different from my comfort zone music that hasn't peaked my interest by now never will at this point in my life. Good bless you younger music fans. You can still be moved by something new and different. And not even know why. You will just know that you like it and that's enough.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 19:51
I think it's all about having that "one" album that moves you so much that you'll seek out more music like it and expand your boundaries. Up until my junior year of highschool (when I was about 16) I would only listen to prog or metal music with no other genres interesting me. But one fateful day, following a Devin Townsend and Children of Bodom concert, I decided to give Ghost by Devin Townsend a listen. The relaxing, new age-inspired material astonished me and soothed me at the same time, and all of a sudden there was a whole new world of music that I'd never considered. By that next year, my genre list had expanded to include folk, new age, ambient, indie rock, jazz, pop (don't worry, not just the top 40 pop), and just about everything in between.

For me personally, I don't like to write off an artist doing an unfamiliar genre until I actually hear it. The results may just surprise the listener, as Ghost did for me

Edited by Necrotica - February 24 2021 at 19:52
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 19:54
Also, regarding the original post, I really hope you're not referring to my Future Bites review. I specifically stated that I'm fine with Wilson making a pop record as long as it's executed well (see: To the Bone). But to me, it simply was a matter of poor execution and messaging rather than a matter of genre

Edited by Necrotica - February 24 2021 at 19:58

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 22:27
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I want music that is new to me. sometimes I like it at first listening, sometimes it needs repeated listening to be liked, and sometimes it will not be liked ever. but that's fine with me. I want to expand my mind, and for that I have to go into uncharted territory. I will check out any genre of music. but after repeated forays into a certain genre without satisfying results I will no longer explore it

Hi,

I had a bit of this same point in a private conversation with a member about "improvisation", that the idea was to take things COMPLETELY to an unchartered territory, but I am not sure that he felt comfortable considering that option ... within an improvisation, I asked, when would be your "tricks" and "bits and pieces" you knew over and done with before you repeat yourself silly?

And I think that this is an issue with the teaching of music in schools for the most part ... I can tell you, for example, that Berklee is the worst school at improvisation, but their folks all know how to count and know the chords, and that makes them a musician, see? And if they try to improvise, try it for an hour or two, to see if you can get past your bits and pieces and tricks ... you will be dry wondering what to do next, and ...

An artist experiments, in terms of the way we think ONLY ... because for them it might not be an experiment at all ... this could easily be said of Peter Hammill for example, someone that many people don't like because he is so different all the time ... maybe less these days, but his incredible catalog of music shows an impressive array of moments ... something that we rarely find in any artist!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 22:33
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Also, regarding the original post, I really hope you're not referring to my Future Bites review. I specifically stated that I'm fine with Wilson making a pop record as long as it's executed well (see: To the Bone). But to me, it simply was a matter of poor execution and messaging rather than a matter of genre
For me, the problem with The Future Bites was the marketing hype that was going on for months before the album came out (I think it was delayed by COVID). It was a smart campaign that seemed to be taking the p*ss out of his own fans and with that type of campaign you're expecting the greatest album ever (I think it was called "OK Computer for the 2010s or something like that) and it's therefore quite likely to be a bit of a letdown for some.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 23:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

For me, the problem with The Future Bites was the marketing hype that was going on for months before the album came out (I think it was delayed by COVID). It was a smart campaign that seemed to be taking the p*ss out of his own fans and with that type of campaign you're expecting the greatest album ever (I think it was called "OK Computer for the 2010s or something like that) and it's therefore quite likely to be a bit of a letdown for some.

EXACTLY! I knew I couldn't have been the only one who had issues revolving around the marketing and messaging as much as the music itself. Not to mention, this is the same guy who constantly criticized technology and phone use, while promoting the damn album on TikTok! I don't mind him using TikTok - there's not much money in music anymore as it is, so good on him for using new marketing strategies - but it's the hypocrisy that bothers me. And unfortunately that's a flaw that runs deep in the album as a whole (especially on Personal Shopper)

Edited by Necrotica - February 24 2021 at 23:48

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 08:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Without sounding old and decrepit, any off the wall or different from my comfort zone music that hasn't peaked my interest by now never will at this point in my life. Good bless you younger music fans. You can still be moved by something new and different. And not even know why. You will just know that you like it and that's enough.

That about sums it up for me.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 09:41

... Without sounding old and decrepit, any off the wall or different from my comfort zone music that hasn't peaked my interest by now never will at this point in my life. Good bless you younger music fans. You can still be moved by something new and different. And not even know why. You will just know that you like it and that's enough.

Hi,

I feel that way sometimes, but the funny thing ... the minute I say it something shows up that is different and far out! Go figure.

One last detail, and this is not meant as a plug ... but the inevitable question is, where are these things ... and for me the Space Pirate Radio show has been one of the best "new material" for some 40 years, since no other show has the variety and the ability to do something that is not a cookie cutter mentality and continuously make the show sound like another top ten!

I think, Steve, that in the end, it depends on where you listen to things and how ... thus the same place with the same bands is not a good place at all ... and neither are some articles here about new bands when all they can say is that it sounds like ... and like ... and so on, something that turns me off immediately.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 09:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

That about sums it up for me.
Smile

Hi,

That's kinda strange for me ... and I'll give you an example ... sometime in 1972 or early 1973, I came across a bunch of albums that had a lot of English stuff and I ended up getting 2 or 3 of them, and they were "The Battered Ornaments" (Pete Brown), "Roy Harper" and "Kevin Ayers" ... and when I put on the albums, they were so different as to make your head spin ... but they were ... very interesting ... and you could tell easily enough that Roy was a poet, not just a coconut singer!

INSIDE the Battered Ornaments cover was a record sleeve that had the "Hipgnosis Breakfast Ingredients" and it listed over 15 artists ... and in the next year I got just about all of them ... only to find out that these were all over the place and very interesting. The differences were out of this stratosphere. Lol Coxhill? How do you measure that THEN? And then I came across Capability Brown ... what a treat on both albums ... amazing stuff ... and of course, by the end of that time I had all the Kevin Ayers' albums (all great!!!) and all of the Roy Harper albums ... and the following year, I got into what was called "krautrock" but I never EVER lost touch or feel for the many HARVEST artists at all ... they were all far out to listen to.

Krautrock did a different number with their total outright experiments ... but it felt like an extension of what the English musicians were not able to do, and a couple of websites saying that they were not interested in Westernized (Rock) Music concepts ... MADE SENSE TO ME .... Europeans have a music history that America does not have, and a lot of their music comes from different elements than the ones that we think are "progressive music", which by its current definition .... wake up ... it isn't progressive anymore.

So listening to different things is good, and it is not always about you like it or not ... because too many things fit into the "middle" where you are not sure how you see it or feel, and this is what happened to me when I first heard PH/VdGG which I had already been listening to for a year before the Harvest thing happened. (I'll try to post the picture from the Hipgnosis book of the breakfast ingredients ... you'll look at it and go 1972? Crazy!!!!)

www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 14:52

EXACTLY! I knew I couldn't have been the only one who had issues revolving around the marketing and messaging as much as the music itself. Not to mention, this is the same guy who constantly criticized technology and phone use, while promoting the damn album on TikTok! I don't mind him using TikTok - there's not much money in music anymore as it is, so good on him for using new marketing strategies - but it's the hypocrisy that bothers me. And unfortunately that's a flaw that runs deep in the album as a whole (especially on Personal Shopper)
I agree! I mentioned in the thread about the record that I'm not a fan of this social messaging krapp. If someone wants to spend money on useless stuff, who cares, and for whatever reasons. Although I am sure he is simply playing on that for song subjects, not sure he truly feels that way especially when he is buying expensive LP and CD boxsets of stuff he already has as noted in his most recent What's In My Bag video by Amoeba Records. Not sure I would call him hypocritical, I think he's just using it for topic......

I too think he misses the boat on creating a true pop album, he's not a pop singer or musician like ABBA, Prince or the Beatles (Dead). Plus the musicians he used are not pop musicians, to create a pop albums he's really gonna have to go outside his box of support musicians. Again, that being said I do like the album. If he really, really wants to be a pop star, ain't gonna happen buddy, it's not in his DNA.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 01:22
Its a prog rock forum so we want prog rock. I get a bit fed up stating a simple fact , this forum wouldn't exist with ELP, Genesis , Yes etc doing their thing when they did it. You can pretend all you like that we all want new music but actually I don't really believe it. We just want a feeling that we had 40 years ago. Trouble is that just isn't happening , not really. The late sixties and early seventies was a unique time for music. It will never likely happen again. Get over it. Anyway where is M27Barney when you need him to talk about panheads or whatever.Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 01:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I agree! I mentioned in the thread about the record that I'm not a fan of this social messaging krapp. If someone wants to spend money on useless stuff, who cares, and for whatever reasons. Although I am sure he is simply playing on that for song subjects, not sure he truly feels that way especially when he is buying expensive LP and CD boxsets of stuff he already has as noted in his most recent What's In My Bag video by Amoeba Records. Not sure I would call him hypocritical, I think he's just using it for topic......

I too think he misses the boat on creating a true pop album, he's not a pop singer or musician like ABBA, Prince or the Beatles (Dead). Plus the musicians he used are not pop musicians, to create a pop albums he's really gonna have to go outside his box of support musicians. Again, that being said I do like the album. If he really, really wants to be a pop star, ain't gonna happen buddy, it's not in his DNA.

You can like SWilson's pop albums all you like Jose. Just don't dis the Beatles in the same post, because SWilson is no better or worse than the Fabs now.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 04:03
I want artists to pay me 10 € every time I listen to one of their albums... Ermm

But since that is probably not going to happen, I want them to do what they want, and then I'll buy their music or not.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 04:20
What do I want from artists ? ... Simply to surprise me !

That's why I listen to good (of course !) post/alternative/progressive sounds. And that's why I will not buy the new albums of Transatlantic, Wobbler (for classic retro progressive rock) and the new Steven Wilson CD (far from the level of artists like Massive Attack and Portishead).

Edited by PhideauxFan - February 26 2021 at 04:25
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 05:18
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Its a prog rock forum so we want prog rock. I get a bit fed up stating a simple fact , this forum wouldn't exist with ELP, Genesis , Yes etc doing their thing when they did it. You can pretend all you like that we all want new music but actually I don't really believe it. We just want a feeling that we had 40 years ago. Trouble is that just isn't happening , not really. The late sixties and early seventies was a unique time for music. It will never likely happen again. Get over it. Anyway where is M27Barney when you need him to talk about panheads or whatever.Wink

Speak for yourself and don't assume others are the same. I'm here almost exclusively to explore.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 05:45
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Speak for yourself and don't assume others are the same. I'm here almost exclusively to explore.

I’d personally like to think (or, at the very least, hope) that people with views like richardh are the minority in this forum.

I’m here to explore, too - from any year, and within any genre.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 06:32
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I’d personally like to think (or, at the very least, hope) that people with views like richardh are the minority in this forum.

I’m here to explore, too - from any year, and within any genre.

I don't doubt your sincerity as it's a laudable but strictly minority view when you consider the vast majority of top 100 albums listed on PA's front page were recorded 30 to 40 years ago and represent an unequivocal preference for 'Dad Prog' over 'Sprog Prog'. Many of these will of course be new to many but only by virtue of us not having heard what is now historical music. Music journalist

Of course, prog rock was not the future—at least, not more than anything else was. Nowadays, it seems clear that rock history is not linear but cyclical. There is no grand evolution, just an endless process of rediscovery and reappraisal, as various styles and poses go in and out of fashion. We no longer, many of us, believe in the idea of musical progress. All the more reason, perhaps, to savor the music of those who did. (Kelefa Sanneh)

Edited by ExittheLemming - February 26 2021 at 06:44
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 07:08
Sprog prog LOL

Seriously though, I just let everyone pelt me with songs and I see which ones stick, old or new.

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 08:04

We just want a feeling that we had 40 years ago. Trouble is that just isn't happening , not really. The late sixties and early seventies was a unique time for music. It will never likely happen again. Get over it. Anyway where is M27Barney when you need him to talk about panheads or whatever.Wink

Hi,

I'm not sure it is possible ... the way things are going in music these days ... 

In the late 60's and early 70's in America, the FM radio came alive ... and it took WELL, because 1) IT WAS IN STEREO, 2) IT HAD NEW MUSIC, and 3) IT FLIPPED A FINGER TO HIT (AM) RADIO.

The sad thing was that 10 years later the FM radio had gotten completely bought by corporate raiders and it became just another "hit show", with different top tens ... a "classic" bs top ten!

These days, I was hoping that when the concert thing died ... that many bands would get up and stand out by STREAMING something and showing something different ... and guess what? ... it is now obvious that many of those bands that we thought were tops are just another bunch of manikins kissed by a record company or small group of investors ... and they are not competent, or strong enough to even consider doing something in the stream side of things ... you really think that Dream Theater or Iron Maiden or some of those big bands can not sell 20K tickets for one show? Or even more? 

We will NOT get a new generation, until someone says ... screw it ... and gives us the music in a different way than what is happening right now ... look at the posts here ... we're all waiting for the 2nd coming of everything ... not even considering the ability and option of new music!

As I keep saying ... have you looked at the mirror lately to see if you are "progressive" or "regressive" as a listener ... and from the listing of posts and a quick evaluation I would almost say that at least 50% of us are very regressive, and it has nothing to do with us being old ... it has to do with our own inability to get past the "top five" ... and the over abundance of posts and kissing taking place. How many times do you have to say you like TAAB? or CTTE?

Maybe tomorrow we will wake up to new music ... but it ain't gonna happen with folks from PA ... that's for sure! As sad as that may sound!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>