Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaligonaut for Symphonic or Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caligonaut for Symphonic or Folk
    Posted: February 28 2021 at 06:19
Caligonaut announces the release of his debut solo album Magnified as Giants. Caligonaut is a solo project by artist Ole Michael Bjørndal, a guitarist best known for his work with Oak, Airbag and Bjørn Riis Band. Bjørndal has composed the music, written the lyrics and also performs lead vocals. 

The album will be released through Norwegian label Apollon Records Prog on February 26, 2021 on all platforms – vinyl, CD and digital. The performers on the record include members of Wobbler, Airbag, Oak, Pymlico and Meer, and a special guest appearance by Norwegian church organ legend Iver Kleive. 

Magnified as Giants contains four songs within a classic prog rock landscape inspired by the guitar and bass work of King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis and Rush but blended with the more modern sounds of Tool and Opeth. Several of the pieces are written in Robert Fripp’s new standard tuning. The album also features an extended use of vintage keyboards played by Wobbler keyboardist Lars Fredrik Frøislie.

Caligonaut is a word composed of the Latin words for mist or dimness, “caligo”, and traveller/ navigator, “naut”, lyrical themes that are also prominent on the album. The album artwork was created by visual artist Marte Bjørndal, who has held exhibitions in Brazil, South Africa, China and Russia. The photography is by Anne-Marie Forker, known primarily for her work with Marillion. The album is mixed by Lars Fredrik Frøislie and mastered by Jacob Holm-Lupo. 

Ole Michael Bjørndal has recorded and played live with Airbag, Oak, Gentle Knife and Bjørn Riis Band since 2012. Airbag describes him as “an essential part of our touring band for nearly a decade and both his playing and stage presence have no doubt had a big impact on Airbag becoming a more confident and mature band”. Together with Airbag, Oak and Bjørn Riis Band, Bjørndal has performed at festivals like Cruise to the Edge (2015/19), Night of The Prog (2019), «2Days Prog + 1 Festival» in Veruno, Italy (2016) and «Artrock i Stadsträdgården» in Lidköping, Sweden (2019), and he has toured in England, Poland, The Netherlands and Sweden. 

Since 2012, Bjørndal has attended several courses with Guitar Circle, formerly known as Guitar Craft, which was founded by Robert Fripp and uses new standard tuning. One of these courses was a week in Caorle, Italy directed by Fripp himself. 

Bjørndal on the album: “Magnified as Giants was born out of a growing desire to make an album where l decide the direction of the music and build on my experience as a musical performer.”

His foremost musical companion is Wobbler bassist Kristian Hultgren, who has played with Bjørndal in various projects since 2007. With the exception of vocals and keys, all recordings were made at Double Decker Studio by the steady handed Pymlico founder Arild Brøter. Bjørndal chose to record the vocals under the guidance of Wobbler frontman Andreas W. S. Prestmo at his private studio, Vilthagen Studios. The result is an album of four unique songs that will take the listener on a journey through several decades of progressive music with Bjørndal’s guitar and voice as the focal point.

TRACKS:
 Emperor - 14:35 (O. M. Bjørndal) 
Hushed feat. Iver Kleive - 10:43 (O. M. Bjørndal) 
Magnified as Giants - 05:46 (O. M. Bjørndal) L
ighter than Air - 19:34 (O. M. Bjørndal/K. K. Hultgren)

Ole Michael Bjørndal: Lead vocals, electric guitars, acoustic guitar (tuned in new standard tuning), 12-string guitars 
Kristian Karl Hultgren (Wobbler): Bass guitars 
Andreas W. S. Prestmo (Wobbler): Backing vocals
 Lars Fredrik Frøislie (Wobbler): Hammond organ, Mellotron, grand piano, synths and keyboards
 Iver Kleive: Church organ on Hushed
 Arild Brøter (Pymlico): Drums and percussion on Hushed and Lighter than Air
 Henrik Fossum (Airbag): Drums on Emperor 
Åsa Ree (Meer and Wobbler): Violin and backing vocals on Emperor and Hushed 
Stephan Hvinden (Pymlico and Oak): Rhythm guitars on Hushed
Mastered by Jacob Holm-Lupo (White Willow, Frequency Drift)

As I listened  I thought, "Bjørndal approaches his craft like an ancient woodworker who fells his own trees. Bjørndal fells a Porcupine Tree, an Oak, an old King Crimson Maple, and an Opeth Spruce. Bjørndal's astonished me at his ability to cut, fashion, sand, and polish his sylvan influences seamlessly into four personal woodcuts of prog poetry.

Bjørndal's guitar sepia solos soar like the seagull cornet at the end of the King Crimson song, Islands. Twelve string guitars. This guy must play with his fingers like Linsey Buckingham. Bass and Keys erupt like Spring bluebells against the softer wheat tones.

Lars Fredrik Frøislie of Wobbler's analog keyboards and a rhythm section reminiscent of Genesis era combination of Wind and Wuthering and Nursery Crime. Vocal harmonies from the forest. Retro, similar vein to Opeth's Pale Communion. Introspective poetic lyrics. Melodies galore.
-Cindy O 

https://caligonaut.bandcamp.com/album/magnified-as-giants

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 28 2021 at 08:16
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 06:37
please consider the Artist Submission Process Topic
we definitely need more informations

I could have a listen already, the music certainly fits our scope
I'm tending to crossover, but can't find sufficient liner notes concerning the album
probably you can provide that

band name is Caligonaut, by the way

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 08:26
thanks for the update Clap
will listen once again and forward this submission afterwards

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 09:26
while listening I've formatted things a bit Tongue

Magnified As Giants

LP/CD/Digital Album Apollon Records ARP046, Norway
mastered by Jacob Holm-Lupo

1. Emperor (14:35)
2. Hushed (10:43)
3. Magnified As Giants (5:46)
4. Lighter Than Air (19:34)

Total time: 50:38

- Ole Michael Bjørndal / lead vocals, acoustic, electric & 12-string-guitars
- Kristian Karl Hultgren / bass
- Lars Fredrik Frøislie / Hammond organ, Mellotron, grand piano, synths, keyboards
- Iver Kleive / church organ (2)
- Andreas W. S. Prestmo / backing vocals
- Arild Brøter / drums, percussion (2,4)
- Henrik Fossum / drums (1)
- Åsa Ree / violin and backing vocals (1,2)
- Stephan Hvinden / rhythm guitars (2)

Edited by Rivertree - February 28 2021 at 09:34

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 09:47
awesome songs indeed, a tough case concerning the appropriate genre though Ouch

equally symphonic prog (tracks 1,4) and singer/songwriter art pop (2,3)
I still tend to forward this to the crossover team

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 10:46
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

awesome songs indeed, a tough case concerning the appropriate genre though Ouch

equally symphonic prog (tracks 1,4) and singer/songwriter art pop (2,3)
I still tend to forward this to the crossover team

Thanks for your attention. I'm sure Ole Michael Bjørndal will be happy with whatever sub-genre you guys catagorize Caligonaut under.  I was thinking Symphonic since songs 1,4 comprise 34 minutes of the album. Yet, I see what you mean about crossover. Smile
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 00:50
 Post Reply Post Reply