Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 So Far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 15:50
^ I’ve not listened to that, but I’m expecting to like it a lot. It’s the bloke from Oak, is it not? 🇳🇴 

bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:02
Wow - didn't realise this would create so much discussion Big smile

2019 vs 2020 is an interesting one, it definitely depends on what subgenres of the wide world of prog grab your interest. For me 2020 is propped up by me unexpectedly finding a lot of music out of Italy worthy of 5 stars, and some really good space rock too. Anything more eclectic is perhaps a bit thin on the ground?

Loads of 2021 recommendations so thanks - might take until 2023 to listen to them all at the rate I'm going this year. Just glad I have a cheap Spotify subscription rather than having to buy hundreds of records (I know, I'm killing the industry...)
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:43
Originally posted by bartymj bartymj wrote:

Wow - didn't realise this would create so much discussion Big smile

2019 vs 2020 is an interesting one, it definitely depends on what subgenres of the wide world of prog grab your interest. For me 2020 is propped up by me unexpectedly finding a lot of music out of Italy worthy of 5 stars, and some really good space rock too. Anything more eclectic is perhaps a bit thin on the ground?

Loads of 2021 recommendations so thanks - might take until 2023 to listen to them all at the rate I'm going this year. Just glad I have a cheap Spotify subscription rather than having to buy hundreds of records (I know, I'm killing the industry...)

I’ve seen a lot of people suggest that 2019 was a “better” year than 2020, but I don’t know that there is much difference at all. If anything, I’m inclined to think 2021 was better - for me. And that, ultimately, is what it comes down to. Last year was a phenomenal year for music that I like. And, thanks to reviewing for TPA, I was also introduced to quite a few bands I would never have heard of, or who I’d heard of but never listened to. Several I went into not expecting to enjoy much, only to find they blew me away.

I made a list on the previous page (with Bandcamp links) for the albums I’ve particularly enjoyed so far this year, and I know it will soon be outdated. I have a few albums in my inbox I’ve simply not got around to, yet. For example, I’ve had Kurushimi’s new album sitting in my downloads folder for almost a month now. I know I will love it, because there’s not been a single Kurushimi release yet that I haven’t loved. (It’s only because I know the band, that I’ve not listened to it yet.) Honestly, 2021 is looking like it’s going to be just as good a year as the last two have been, music-wise.

[EDIT] I’ve given it a little more thought, and I think that actually 2020 was better than 2019 (for me), and a lot of that was due to covid. A lot of music was written in reaction to covid and lockdowns and the suchlike, and a lot of that was really, really good. A lot of music was also written because there was not much else to do for some artists. Necessity is the mother of invention, and out of great adversity comes great triumph, and all those good old clichés.

2020 saw more artists with multiple releases in one year than any other year for a very long time. That’s not necessarily a good thing, of course, hence why the constant caution of quality over quantity. But there was so much quality. 2019 was a great year, for sure. But I think 2030 might jus5 have been greater...

Edited by nick_h_nz - March 02 2021 at 02:00
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 02:04
At that moment, my number 1 of 2021: Meer - Playing House.

And very soon, I will receive the CDs of God Is An Astronaut, Cosmograf, Human Factor (Russia), Soen, The Pineapple Thief, ...

yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 05:35
My favorite of the year so far actually not a Prog album. its the EP "A Piper For janet" by Cosmo Pyke.

Edited by yogev - March 02 2021 at 15:42
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 15:30
new Tusmorke anyone?..

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 00:15
As far as prog goes I've only heard two new albums this year: Steve Hackett's Under A Mediterranean Sky and Steven Wilson's The Future Bites. I really enjoyed both, but I'd have to say Hackett probably is the winner for me. I love the weird experimental crossover stuff on The Future Bites, but Under A Mediterranean Sky is almost effortless in its beauty.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:14
We now got Frost*, Gojira and Liquid Tension Experiment coming and on Pete Pardos prog show the other day I heard word on a potential new Echolyn so that could be exciting. The Ocean Collective has apparently written two new albums already according to the band as well. 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:25
^Looking forward to Frost*. LTE nah. Used to listen to them but anymore they aren't interesting to me, just a bunch of notes played really fast. If you like that type of music with good compositions check out Intervals. Echolyn would be cool but I understand drummer Paul Ramsey left. He was amazing.
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:36
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

If you like that type of music with good compositions check out Intervals. Echolyn would be cool but I understand drummer Paul Ramsey left. He was amazing.

Also Plini. He's INCREDIBLE.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 00:58
3 (Robert Berry) - Third Impression . Despite the ELP reference , its mostly well produced AOR ish stuff but not bad. Berry is a talented musician but would rate this 3 stars. 

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites . He's not the messiah just a naughty boy. Yeah its okay but 3 stars at most for me.

Lifesigns - Altitude . Maybe not as good as their stellar debut but very solid and enjoyable all the same. 3.5-4 stars.

I usually but a lot of average stuff at the beginning of the year until recommendations start filtering through. Looking forward to the Frost* release certainly , but not sure what else is on the horizon.  
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 02:53
Marillion are hoping to get their new album out by the end of the year, pre-order details to come soon....

Really looking forward to the new Frost*. Enjoying the new Transatlantic!

And I would love to hear a new Ghost album after the brilliance of Prequelle in 2018Cool
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 03:15
There are a few good reissues around so far this year -

1) Be Bop Deluxe - Drastic Plastic box set
2) Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow reissue due out this month
3) Japan - Quiet Life box set
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 05:43
New Godspeed You! Black Emperor coming in less than a month
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 09:55
As the Love Continues by Mogwai blew my mind!!! I discovered the Post Rock genre lately and I love it.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 10:45
I'm still trying to recover from 2020! 

I honestly have not listened to a single new release yet. My burnout seems worse this year than ever before. Plus, I'm still overwhelmed by how much music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that I missed and am still trying to get to know! Plus, life . . . if you know what I mean . . .
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 02:48
11/03/2021, my top albums:

01-God Is An Astronaut: Ghost Tapes #10,
02-Meer: Playing House,
03-AmartiA; Daylight Beauty,
04-Illuminae: Dark Horizons.

Edited by PhideauxFan - March 11 2021 at 02:49
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 05:12
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I'm still trying to recover from 2020! 

I honestly have not listened to a single new release yet. My burnout seems worse this year than ever before. Plus, I'm still overwhelmed by how much music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that I missed and am still trying to get to know! Plus, life . . . if you know what I mean . . .

I do feel your pain here. Until joining PA I will openly admit my prog knowledge stopped after about 10 major albums of the 70s/80s. I'm in my late 20s and finally reaching out beyond listening to Absolute Radio and falling asleep. But there's just too much out there, and I'm too much of a nerd to be happy missing anything. 

If there's one good thing that's come from Covid and working from home on my own, its meant I can listen to album after album after album with very little interruption...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 07:37
1. Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe
2. Antony Kalugin - Stellar Gardener
3. JPL - Sapiens 2
4. The Besnard Lakes - Are The Last Of The Great Thunderstorm Warnings
5. Tusmorke - Nordisk Krim
6. Kerrs Pink - Presence Of life
7. Caligonaut - Magnified As Giants
8. Needlepoint - Walking Up That Valley
9. Soen - Imperial
10. Strawbs - Settlement
11. Like Wendy - The Fisher
12. Lifesigns - Altitude
13. Meer - Playing House
14. Arc Of Life - s/t
15. Steven Wilson - The Future Bites

And we are looking forward to new ones from The Neal Morse Band, Jordsjo, Big Big Train, Liquid Tension Experiment and Motorpsycho.
The Prog Corner
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 10:28
Only ones that have caught my attention:

1. Steven Wilson - The Future Bites
2. Needlepoint - Walking Up That Valley

Two albums I have discovered and played as much this year are Heavy Horses and Sing to God.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>