Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1994 Dream Theater & Portishead: The Dummy Awakes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1994 Dream Theater & Portishead: The Dummy Awakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [50.00%]
7 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1994 Dream Theater & Portishead: The Dummy Awakes
    Posted: March 01 2021 at 22:43
I imagine that DT's Awake will get the most votes, but this apples and oranges 1994 poll is not a contest. I chose to pit a favourite of mine not in PA from 1994, Portishead's Dummy, against the most popular album according to the charts in PA for 1994, which is Dream Theater's Awake (I did not know that that would be the top-ranked album at PA for 1994 until I checked). I was going to do this as tracks, but opted not to.

I'll post just the first two tracks off each album to give a taste of both (feel free to vote just based on these tracks without hearing the full albums).

There is purposefully no both or neither option.

Commentary is appreciated.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 00:40
DT - Awake, I don't know the other band.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 00:44
DT
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 00:52
very "apples and oranges" poll 

Awake. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 00:55
Portishead.

More original and interesting than DT.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:04
^ again, I listened to DT's Awake when it was released, quite unique, nothing sounded like it (despite DT wearing their influences on their sleeve). 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:18
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

DT - Awake, I don't know the other band.

If one doesn't know both albums I'm fine with just comparing the tracks I posted to inform the vote (if those are available in your country, which they might not be). I would request that people don't vote without hearing something of both albums at the least.

It's an apples and oranges comparison, but still intended to be a comparison (which does require listening to music from both if one is not already familiar with both albums). Like I said "feel free to vote just based on these tracks without hearing the full albums".

Edited by Logan - March 02 2021 at 01:24
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:25
Portishead's debut is one of the most important of the decade.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:26
Hmmmmm...... this one wasn’t a no brainer! 🤔😉
In fact, my brain really does struggle to compare things when they are so vastly different.

It would probably be easier if I didn’t like both bands, I guess. But after some careful consideration, as great an album as Awake is, I think I have to give this to Portishead.

It’s nice to see others have also voted for Portishead. I thought DT would be far further in the lead. I’m guessing over time, DT is likely to be he winner by a huge margin, but for the moment the two are closer than expected. Nice! 🤗

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:42
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Hmmmmm...... this one wasn’t a no brainer! 🤔😉
In fact, my brain really does struggle to compare things when they are so vastly different.

It would probably be easier if I didn’t like both bands, I guess. But after some careful consideration, as great an album as Awake is, I think I have to give this to Portishead.

It’s nice to see others have also voted for Portishead. I thought DT would be far further in the lead. I’m guessing over time, DT is likely to be he winner by a huge margin, but for the moment the two are closer than expected. Nice! 🤗

As a self-confirmed zombie, I dislike no-brainers. Mmmm, more brains. I could surely do with more brain, be I a zombie or not.

I do expect that we will get a quite a few voters who unfortunately are not at all familiar with both albums. Anyway, I'm always much more interested in the commentary and discussion than the votes themselves.

I hadn't listened to Awake (at least not in full) before making this poll, but then I hadn't known that Awake would be the number one album at PA (had my methodology down for the PA choice before searching, whereas I went with the Portishead just case I wanted to compare it to something). Had it been the number two ranked album (Epilog by Anglagard), then I would have already had both in my collection. It's good, this forced me to listen to a new album that is somewhat out of my comfort zone (I have enjoyed DT's debut the most).
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:53
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As a self-confirmed zombie, I dislike no-brainers. Mmmm, more brains. I could surely do with more brain, be I a zombie or not.

I do expect that we will get a quite a few voters who unfortunately are not at all familiar with both albums. Anyway, I'm always much more interested in the commentary and discussion than the votes themselves.

I hadn't listened to Awake (at least not in full) before making this poll, but then I hadn't known that Awake would be the number one album at PA (had my methodology down for the PA choice before searching, whereas I went with the Portishead just case I wanted to compare it to something). Had it been the number two ranked album (Epilog by Anglagard), then I would have already had both in my collection. It's good, this forced me to listen to a new album that is somewhat out of my comfort zone (I have enjoyed DT's debut the most).

Awake might just scrape into my top five DT, I’m not sure. 🤔 I suppose it depends if I include A Change of Seasons, or not. I love The Astonishing, though, and am not much of a fan of Scenes at all - so I’m hardly the typical DT fan. 🤪

I love the trip hop sound more than the prog metal sound in general, though, I think. Not that they can’t be combined, of course - and that definitely tends to tickle my feathers.

Two albums I particularly enjoyed last year had a trip hop vibe:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 02:24
^ Cool, will check those out.

I really liked what I heard of The Astonishing actually (was going to mention that), which considering the ass-tarnishing it gets (oops, second post with a bottom-of-the-barrel quip made by me, which might make me the butt of many jokes) made me think that I really must be very far from the DT fandom (well, I guess the biggest fans will love everything DT, but I mean the kinds of comments I see here regularly about that album). By the way, I love lots of classic 70s "heavy metal" type things and lots of music with metal elements and have been getting into more metal music of late.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 04:03
Awake (number 3 in my top of Dream Theater). And I also like/have this CD of Portishead.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 04:21
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ again, I listened to DT's Awake when it was released, quite unique, nothing sounded like it (despite DT wearing their influences on their sleeve). 

I do like Awake. Along with Images & Words it's probably my joint fave DT album, but to me it is just prog metal. The Portishead album is almost beyond categorisation. Branded 'Trip Hop' at the time, it still didn't bear any resemblance to anything else branded the same at the time; Massive Attack, Morcheeba etc..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 11:47
^ Gotta say I do like Morchheeba's album Big Calm a lot, and to me it does have Portishead similarities. Morcheeba came a little later than Portishead (I mean they overlap in 90s active years). It's first release was 1996 and was formed in 1995 while Portishead's Dummy was 1994 and Portishead was formed in 1991.
Portishead as I recall was one of those acts that was talked about so much in the 90s, and it surprised me that more albums weren't released due the impact I have thought it had (was also playing clubs of course ). I got into Portishead late even though I knew the name and had heard some music much earlier. Just those two 90s albums (1994 and the self-titled in 1997), which I think were both great in their way, and then that 2008 one which I haven't heard. Of course it released a lot of singles, got airplay.... Portishead was influential and innovative. Trip Hop is a wide net. I wish I knew more about the scenes at the time, although there's lot of music that I would loosely relate to Portishead. Dummy in particular I think was a really significant album that is quite seminal in its way. I went get into whether Awake or Portishead had the bigger musical impact, although I am quite confident that it would be the Portishead, and that that album would be more likely to make varied great albums of the 90s lists.

I'm just rambling. I wanted to post a little blast from the 90s past courtesy of Blue Jam:

"Hey, Portishead, when you play live, how about some strip-hop? Boozy girl naked, very pleasant."

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 23:35
Awake is my favourite Dream Theater album, it flows perfectly, all just works there.

I need to listen to Portishead today (or Potato Head as i call them)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 02:15
DT
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply