Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starfighter, by me (and other musics I make)!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starfighter, by me (and other musics I make)!
    Posted: April 24 2021 at 09:08
Thank you, I appreciate that. However there is a slightly better version uploaded.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 02:02
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

New from me, a longer piece.

Very good Martin, almost excellent. Really a pleasuresome listen. I've got a couple of "I'd do this in that part instead"s, but not a big deal. I beieve this is some extraordinary musicianship that can shade into top-notch craftsmanship. Very cool stuff!

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 24 2021 at 02:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 14:47
New from me, a longer piece.

Edited by Ghost Whistler - April 24 2021 at 09:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 08:19
You're welcome!

I actually don't have any recommendations. I believe as we humans mature, we get deeper in being able to sense what is right/proper. You've got the talent, very good ideas and a good taste in finding/creating delightful tones. So, perhaps you just need to improve yourself on this path. I, as a singer, became aware of what I was doing wrong mostly by myself. Some can get education/training for that, and that is also a viable way. It is up to you, I guess. In my philosophy, if I really "feel" (like intuitively) that something sounds good, I feel content enough. Rest is bonus... If you, one day, decide on being a professional in music, some other elements might be vital for producing music, like the expectancy of the target audience. But even then, your gut feeling had better be your pivotal priority IMHO.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 08:08
Thanks.

What would you suggest in terms of improvement?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 07:07
I got quite irritated at times, while listening to Astonishing Tales, but Psi Hawk has some really cool vibes. I think your "ideas" embody some genuineness, but still call for improvement and refinement. Anyway, I'll go on checking out what you put here, with interest. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 09:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 11:12
Here is a new piece I'm working on. A bit more 'techno' than perhaps is healthy, but a simple fun tune I call:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 09:13
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

You're on your way.  Thumbs Up
I once had a drummer do a paradiddle on the bottom of a tea tin cause liked the sound it made.
Keep posting your work from time to time, I'll be interested to see where you go with it.

Thanks I appreciate the encouragement. 

Although I'm a fan of prog, I think it would be inaccurate to say all the stuff I'm writing is prog (ymmv). 
I've always enjoyed electronic music however. In fact I got back into making stuff because Synthwave is a guilty pleasure, but as it transpires that's not what I'm writing. My influences are across the board, though if i can sound like Tangerine Dream from the early eighties I'll be happy :D Plus I love those old school electronic sounds. 

If you want to hear more in the meantime, I encourage you to check out my soundcloud as I've posted more stuff on there. Some of which isn't entirely finished. You can follow from the link I posted above.

Thanks again
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 15:49
You're on your way.  Thumbs Up
I once had a drummer do a paradiddle on the bottom of a tea tin cause liked the sound it made.
Keep posting your work from time to time, I'll be interested to see where you go with it.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 05:20
Thanks. I'll get to mixing these tracks when I have enough written I think. Procrastination? Perhaps.

I once played my bass with some drumsticks, but that's because I was busy listening to Tony Levin at the time :D

Sounded pretty good actually.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 15:36
My advice would be to only use compression on recording individual tracks and only if there is a huge dynamic range you need to control. In big studios one of the main uses of compressors is to ever so lightly decrease the volume of portions of the tracks while solo's or sometimes vocals are present.

At the end of the day don't get too hung up on 'criteria', instead just learn to listen. It will all come together if you continue to experiment and apply what you learn.

I once put a mike inside a dryer drum with the guitar amp across the room and fed that back as a reverb effect. You never know till ya try. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 14:59
I shall do my best. I'm just not entirely sure what criteria I should follow for applying what effects and/or EQ. Like, i'm not sure when compression is needed, but I know that too much of it is hard on the ears. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 05:52

I welcome any experience people would be willing to share, thanks.

My problem with mixing is knowing what I need to do. I an sit and EQ and jsut turn everything up - and hey it sounds better (not always, obviously). But that's not the answer. So it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm not entirely sure how to learn this.
I have updated the arrangement. I think the music itself is now done
As the saying goes..."How do you get to Carnage Hall? Practice, practice, practice."
Take a track, mix it, change one aspect and mix it again, set it back to the original and change a different aspect. Then start combing and refining. It's an iterative process.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 02:49
I welcome any experience people would be willing to share, thanks.

My problem with mixing is knowing what I need to do. I an sit and EQ and jsut turn everything up - and hey it sounds better (not always, obviously). But that's not the answer. So it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm not entirely sure how to learn this.
I have updated the arrangement. I think the music itself is now done

Edited by Ghost Whistler - March 09 2021 at 04:52
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 14:00

Not sure what your recording software or playback system is, but I don't get shrill from any of this.
In fact I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of some Klaus Schultz I've heard.
A few facts...
-I'm a sound engineer/producer who has extensive experience working with a keyboard player who had an original Big Blue ARP 2600. It now resides in my basement in storage.
-He recorded an all electronic album which include tonnes of ARP 2600.
-Mixing is an art and can really change the mood of a piece depending on how its done.
-Being the composer and performer, you know what you had in mind when you recorded it so you should be best positioned to know where you need to focus.

My suggestion would be to work on the sound stage placement of the various voices. It seems pretty balanced over the JBL near field monitors I have at my desk. Try moving things around a bit and isolating different voices either L or R to give a deeper sound stage. Maybe work on making the rhythm voices more percussive.
the beauty of what you have here is that you can experiment and in doing so discover or perhaps even stumble upon something that make it pop.

Well done keep it up. Thumbs Up
Thanks so much for the comments. I'm using Reaper on my laptop. I have a pretty cheap midi controller and some decent synth emulations, including an ARP2600 vst that i've been trying to wrap my head around. I'm motivated by those classic 70's 80's sounds, including people like Schulze and Tangerine Dream, and more besides of course.
I'm using a basic set of headphones to work with. By no means are they studio monitors. Hopefully in time I can get something better. So it would be very easy to make this sound shrill without realising it. I am pleased it doesn't. 
Mixing is certainly an art, the problem is I'm not sure how to learn it. There are certainly hundreds of clips on Youtube, too many really. I know the basic idea, but it's knowing what to do and what not to do without getting lost. You could spend hours EQing without a clear idea of how and why. So, as I say, for now, I'm trying to get material written. Enough for an album I can upload to something like Bandcamp. If people want to purchase it, it'll be as cheap as possible. That way, with no small amount of luck, I can make a few quid to upgrade my gear. But I'm under no illusion anyone would pay, and of course it would nee dot be good quality sounding. So there's a ways to go yet.

Well as I said, you're on the right track IMHO. While this site is not a recording tech site, there are members who have some experience in this area. Keep posting and asking questions. We're here to help.
As for EQ'ing...ahhh, EQ'ing. As you may have already discovered, a beautifully EQ'd instrument doesn't stay that way as the tracks build. That's because of the build up of harmonics and overlapping frequency ranges of instruments. As you progress you need to keep revisiting the tracks with little tweaks, including possible reverb and sound stage placement. I find that reserving reverb to vocals and gently applied to some keyboards or guitars, mostly during solos.

Thumbs Up

Edited by JD - March 08 2021 at 14:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 04:11
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Thanks. I'm talking about the polyphony (and presumably polyrhythm) beginning about half the minute. The faster melody that begins with a fade-in gets annoying when it gets louder. At least, to my ears.
Ah, well that's unfortuante. Perhaps mixing can help. That's an arpeggiated part that's integral to my vision of the track. Fair enough if it's not your taste otherwise. I can respect that, and thanks for your feedback

Edited by Ghost Whistler - March 08 2021 at 04:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 03:42

Not sure what your recording software or playback system is, but I don't get shrill from any of this.
A few facts...
-I'm a sound engineer/producer who has extensive experience working with a keyboard player who had an original Big Blue ARP 2600. It now resides in my basement in storage.
-Mixing is an art and can really change the mood of a piece depending on how its done.
-Being the composer and performer, you know what you had in mind when you recorded it so you should be best positioned to know where you need to focus.

My suggestion would be to work on the sound stage placement of the various voices. It seems pretty balanced over the JBL near field monitors I have at my desk. Try moving things around a bit and isolating different voices either L or R to give a deeper sound stage. Maybe work on making the rhythm voices more percussive.
the beauty of what you have here is that you can experiment and in doing so discover or perhaps even stumble upon something that make it pop.

Thanks so much for the comments. I'm using Reaper on my laptop. I have a pretty cheap midi controller and some decent synth emulations, including an ARP2600 vst that i've been trying to wrap my head around. I'm motivated by those classic 70's 80's sounds, including people like Schulze and Tangerine Dream, and more besides of course.
I'm using a basic set of headphones to work with. By no means are they studio monitors. Hopefully in time I can get something better. So it would be very easy to make this sound shrill without realising it. I am pleased it doesn't. 
Mixing is certainly an art, the problem is I'm not sure how to learn it. There are certainly hundreds of clips on Youtube, too many really. I know the basic idea, but it's knowing what to do and what not to do without getting lost. You could spend hours EQing without a clear idea of how and why. So, as I say, for now, I'm trying to get material written. Enough for an album I can upload to something like Bandcamp. If people want to purchase it, it'll be as cheap as possible. That way, with no small amount of luck, I can make a few quid to upgrade my gear. But I'm under no illusion anyone would pay, and of course it would nee dot be good quality sounding. So there's a ways to go yet.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 15:20
A few facts...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 15:13
Thanks. I'm talking about the polyphony (and presumably polyrhythm) beginning about half the minute. The faster melody that begins with a fade-in gets annoying when it gets louder. At least, to my ears.

Edited by Shadowyzard - March 07 2021 at 15:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>