Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starfighter, by me (and other musics I make)!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 15:09
Do you mean the zappy sound? 

I tend to like using parts a lot so that they integrate more into the piece, rather than pop up once or twice. Then they feel superfluous. I thought adding it there would add to the drama of the intro when it kicks in. But the criticism is fair.

There's a lot going on at the end to be fair. Most of it is meant to fade out but it does get a bit muddy.

I'd like to learn to mix, but it's pretty difficult so I've been focusing more on getting a body of work together first.#That's my excuse anyway :D

Thanks for the response
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 14:57
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Are you saying there's too much going on at once in some parts?

I guess about the end of the 1st minute, there suddenly entered an "unwelcomed guest" which was abrupt, fast and discourteous to the slower melody. LOL (I listened to it again, it began earlier. The naughty melody was sinisterly going with the main melody, but when it reaches its full sound, that is where the problem begins. Don't let it be that dominant with a good mix, I'd say. Or change, if not alter, the composition.) Specifically I was mentioning that. And a similar thing happened again towards the end. As I said, you need to "blend" it to the sound with a good mix, or mathemathically think of a smoother part. Overall, good tones and a good job. I really liked it. Thumbs Up

Edited by Shadowyzard - March 07 2021 at 15:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 14:53
Thanks. Always good to find fellow defenders of the Frontier :D

Are you saying there's too much going on at once in some parts?

I'm not very good at mixing. At the moment I'm just writing tunes, then we'll see about properly mixing.

I do tend to overload the piece with parts

I appreciate the feedback

Edited by Ghost Whistler - March 07 2021 at 15:05
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 14:42
I think this is something nice. I enjoyed it. But keep in mind that your utilization of polyphony is sometimes distracting. A better math, or a masterful mix is needed there. Good job!

BTW, The Last Starfighter (1984) is one of my favourite movies. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 11:11
https://soundcloud.com/user151958515/starfighter

Song written! Needs mixing. If only I knew how to do that. Oh well!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 10:26
Not done, probably sounds shrill and badly mixed because it is and I suck at mixing. Work in progress, blah blah blah. Greetings starfighter, you have been recruited to write awesome music. Starring my knowledge of the ARP 26000 and some mellotronic love.

Constructive feedback is welcome. Space lasers especially. Bad vibes aren't, but if you don't like it, that's cool!

Not sure this is prog, but it has mellotron! Who doesn't love mellotrons?

Thanks

Edited by Ghost Whistler - March 16 2021 at 11:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12