Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-Prog Artists Doing Slightly Prog Things?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-Prog Artists Doing Slightly Prog Things?
    Posted: March 13 2021 at 00:45
Speaking of 60’s music, this Jefferson Airplane track took me by surprise when I was listening to ‘After Bathing at Baxters’:

Edited by Crane - March 13 2021 at 00:46
“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 17:43
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I think many artists have dabbled in prog at one time or another
For sure, especially in the 70's when you had non prog people like The Allman Brothers, Steely Dan, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Loggins and Messina, Chicago(admittedly much of their early stuff was pretty progressive but they aren't often thought of as prog), Sweet, Led Zeppelin, Billy Joel and several others dabble in prog to one degree or another. Even the Rolling Stones had "moonlight mile" which I consider pretty prog. Come to think of it so was "Can't you hear me knocking" which has a second half that reminds me a bit of Traffic.

If you look at later music there were new wave, gothic and alternative bands who had bits of prog in their music whether it was accidental or on purpose.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 12 2021 at 17:45
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 17:04
from one of the main men of soft rock group Bread, this beautiful prog related suite

Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:41
While I’ve found other things to like in Bourgeois Tagg’s discography, none of their other material quite has the peculiar prog pop sound of “Waiting for the Worm to Turn”:

Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:38
I know, I know, this is MOR radio trash music. But listen carefully. It’s very strange melodically and harmonically. The chords changes are quite spiky, and that the melody has any semblance to a normal one is IMHO remarkable. And then the synth solo hits!

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:20
I think many artists have dabbled in prog at one time or another... let me add to this thread Intermezzo no.1 by ABBA from their eponymous 3rd album.

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 23:56
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I think the prog related section of this site has more than enough examples

true, but it's more than that, "slightly prog" is nicely worded, any kind of examples are welcome, it can be a lot of things. 
And it's for the fun of it, you are taking this too seriously, or am I wrong if I say that? 

Not too serious at all Wink

Just saying there are tons of examples of slightly prog which is why many are put into the prog related category.

Muse, Led Zepplein, Iron Maiden, Metallica, David Bowie etc. They are all here for that very reason.

Well, push the boundaries a bit!! How about AC/DC, Slade, etc.!!  Muse, Led Zep etc. are low-hanging fruit.  

This song by the Monkees was one of the first uses of the Al Dimeola/Spanish electric lead guitar style!  This song inspired me to pick up the 6 string electric at a young age. 

Edited by cstack3 - March 11 2021 at 23:59
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 18:37
The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (?)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 16:28
Originally posted by bartymj bartymj wrote:

Glad this has prompted so much discussion!

I'm just glad no one has mentioned Meat Loaf.

Somebody had to do it....

Edited by cstack3 - March 11 2021 at 16:29
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 15:28

Starting at around 6:30 minutes the mellotron kicks in. Otherwise not really prog sounding but the title does say slightly so this definitely qualifies for at least "slighty." I think the Red Hot Chilipepper's follow up album "one red hot minute" was even more proggy than this one despite no long songs. I remember thinking there was some rather Frippish sounding guitar on that one.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 12 2021 at 17:35
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 15:03
I know and love this for ages but was struck just today by how prog this is:

bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 04:45
As an aside, not long ago I remember seeing someone on Twitter, born this side of the millennium, say "I bet you can't name a single decent song over 8 minutes long".

You can imagine the replies. However my favourite was one simply saying:

"Laughs in irregular time signatures"
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 04:40
Glad this has prompted so much discussion!

As some have said, and put it far better than I could, I was trying to look beyond the semi-obvious and the prog related bands on PA, and try to find an artist that most would consider entirely unrelated to prog music but has produced a track that would get a nod of approval from a prog afficionado.

I'm just glad no one has mentioned Meat Loaf.
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 04:10
Originally posted by bartymj bartymj wrote:

nother even more tenuous example - Green Day's Jesus of Suburbia. No its not prog as many would know it, other than it being a suite of five movements. They stated at the time it was an effort to make the "Bohemian Rhapsody" of the future, and the influence of albums like The Who's Quadrophenia in terms of the style and the concept album as a whole are quite clear. Plus, it was a departure from their simple 90s punk rock into more of a rock opera. Stretching definitions to their full extent but as above, perhaps if it was a track found on a Who album....

I love Jesus of Suburbia as an example. Despite being a fan as a kid of the band, the only album I can still really enjoy is that one and that track specifically. 

Soul music has a lot of progressive like features. Listen to Innervisions by Stevie or There's a Riot Going on by Sly and the family stone. And more recently, Anderson .Paak is really ahead of the pack. 

In modern rock, the Foo Fighters have often been good for some progressive surprises Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace specifically is the closest they get to a prog statement. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:29
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 20:24
In fact, I always found the concept of "progressive hip-hop" very promising. Imagine having the complex social and political commentary of To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar or Illmatic by Nas combined with more unconventional song structures and weird time/tempo shifts... that would be pretty amazing. I mean, those albums are already fantastic as they are, but still... just daydreaming a bit, haha
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 20:21
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

What about Travis Scott's "Sicko Mode" Obviously it's not rock, it's trap, but structurally it seems to have attempted the mini suite form of a song like Band On The Run or Carry On Wayward Son.

I'm glad you brought that one up. For being a trap song, there's a strangely progressive and unorthodox structure to that track. Then again, Travis Scott is easily one of my favorite trap artists for that very reason... in a sea of countless soundcloud and mumble rappers, he always stuck out as one of the most inspired modern hip-hop producers and songwriters. 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
sidc58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sidc58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 20:12
Ultravox- Western Promise https://youtu.be/vk82GuIE2dY
"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 20:03
^ Actually, Band on the Run might work nicely for this thread. And I guess there are a few obvious Beatles songs that would fit too.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 17:22
What about Travis Scott's "Sicko Mode" Obviously it's not rock, it's trap, but structurally it seems to have attempted the mini suite form of a song like Band On The Run or Carry On Wayward Son.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>