Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Hammill (Swiss TV '74)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Hammill (Swiss TV '74)
    Posted: March 11 2021 at 12:11
Here's a 1/2 hour video of Peter Hammill that was broadcast on Swiss TV in 1974. He plays a few songs from his current album The Silent Corner...

I don't think this is on YouTube yet so the link is to my VdGG/PH Facebook page where I posted the vid this morning. Hope this will work

jc
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 13:10
Wow amazing! Thank You Clap 
Buddhabreath View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buddhabreath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 08:46
Phenomenal! What a great find and a real treasure for me since I consider this PH at his prime (not to take away from his myriad subsequent and prodigious quality material).

Anyway many thanks for the heads-up Bucka. It is now on YouTube: 

Edited by Buddhabreath - March 18 2021 at 08:48
There are more stars in the visible universe than grains of sand on all the world's deserts and beaches.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 23:23
Stellar clip, thank you OP!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2021 at 05:05
I didn't know he speaks French. I was aware that he must speak some German; his German pronunciation on "Offensichtlich Goldfisch" is much better than the pronunciation of Peter Gabriel on his two German albums.

He also translated some songs of German singer Herbert Grönemeyer (who sings the vocals of the herbalist on Hammill's "The Fall of the House of Usher") into English for Grönemeyer's album with English lyrics. The way he said "Keine Blitzlichter, bitte" ("No flashlights please") at some of his concerts is an indicator for this too; he got the pronunciation totally right while most native English speakers would have problems with the pronunciation of the "ch" in "Blitzlichter". Take for example Robert Calvert in the Hawkwind song "Steppenwolf" where he sings "Ich weiß nicht was ich sagen soll" ("I don't know what to say"); he pronounces the "ch" in "Ich" and "nicht" like the English "sh", which is wrong.

When I had my long walk and talk with Peter Hammill (about two hours) before one of his concerts in the late 80s or early 90s we only spoke English though. I still had my hair back then; it started falling out after a traumatic incidence in 1992.

Edited by BaldFriede - March 19 2021 at 05:08

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply