Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member - and question about forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member - and question about forum
    Posted: March 14 2021 at 13:19
Hello all, I set up my account about 8 yrs ago but only got active a few days ago. I posted a topic on “progressive 80’s music / sophisti-pop” that has been well-received. And I’ve discovered a bunch of stuff on the site and from recommendations and mentions on the forum. Seems like a good community. Glad to be here.

How do the ‘points’ work on this forum? They seem to be correlated to number of posts and thank you’s. I imagine there are more factors as well.

About me:

I’m trained in music composition. I play drums, bass, guitar, keyboards, and trombone, and I sing. Ask me about my music.

I love most music. I’m attracted especially to obscure music that I’ve discovered for myself. My favourite styles to listen to are sophisti-pop, tribal ambient, jazz fusion, soul jazz, and various sub-genres of prog.

For work I’m a delivery driver, and I’m an x-ray tech-in-training.

Edited by Crane - March 14 2021 at 13:20
“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 13:37
welcome the forum man... it is a good place... a good community.  There are a few oddballs, space cadets, and f**king freaks of modern chemistry floating around but don't let them turn you off if you run into them.  Enough drugs can do that to you I suppose.. instead of expanding minds they start making sh*t flow from the walls and turn you into living breathing bobblehead and start making you think that anything Genesis did is in ANY way comparable to what the big heavies were doing back then.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 13:54
Originally posted by Crane Crane wrote:

How do the ‘points’ work on this forum?

Welcome back my friend, to the forum that never ends... 

You gain 1 point for every forum post, 2 points for posting a new thread and 5 points every time someone thanks you for a forum post, as I've done just now by clicking on the "Thanks" button at the top of this thread. Smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 13:55
Welcome. I’m like yourself. I joined a long time ago, but only started posting recently.

I pretty much listen to most stuff, and enjoy it to some degree or another. Despite being on the prog metal team, that’s one of the genres that least interests me personally, although there are still plenty of prog metal bands and albums I like. I tend towards jazz, fusion, RIO and avant, but definitely not exclusively. Between reviewing for TPA, and listening to the prog metal bands put forward for PA, I have plenty to challenge my boundaries and take me out of my comfort zone.

I think you’ll be good for this site, as it’s nice to have a fresh voice that offers positive and constructive content - and not the same old topics regurgitated. I guess that may be because, like me, you’ve followed the forum for years without posting in it - so you already know what (and who) to avoid. 😜

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 13:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

You gain 1 point for every forum post, 2 points for posting a new thread and 5 points every time someone thanks you for a forum post, as I've done just now by clicking on the "Thanks" button at the top of this thread. Smile

Blimey! It is like an uncanny inception of a Black Mirror episode! Dead
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 14:07
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Blimey! It is like an uncanny inception of a Black Mirror episode! Dead

I've no idea what that means, which is probably just as well. Smile
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 14:10
^ Black Mirror is a very impactful TV show from your country. It undermines some serious things, I think in a good way. I don't want to give spoilers, lest you decide to watch it. Thumbs Up
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 14:45
Welcome to the active world 'Crane', much better than just lurking around.

Here's a little something to feed, what appears to be, a couple of your passions.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 15:25

That makes sense. Thanks for the break-down!
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 15:26
Thank you JD, I’ll check it out!
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 07:00
I finally got around to that album by The Nice. I didn’t think I’d like it (I never could get into ELP) but was very pleasantly surprised! Why is it rated so low on PA??
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 07:15
Glad you enjoyed it.
3.25 isn't a terrible rating, and it's only been reviewed 23 times.
Some might find it a little dated, but it is, after all, a 1968 album stepping off towards the end of the Psychedelic Era.

For other jazzy fares check out:
Brand X
Jean-Luc Ponty
UK
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 07:25
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

For other jazzy fares check out:
Brand X
Jean-Luc Ponty
UK

I like all of those! Smile
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 07:49
Welcome! I've been getting into "sophisti-pop" myself lately and am finding much to enjoy in the often maligned 80's. Prefab Sprout and China Crisis have impressed me most so far. I checked out your “progressive 80’s music / sophisti-pop” thread a week-or-so ago and have a few new things on my list to check out now.

I myself have just come back from a break from the forums here (something that seems to be happening more and more for me these days as my music taste changes. But I can tell you'll be a great presence here. Hope ya stick around!

- Gabe 
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 13:07
I'm a new member; also, although I have used the site for eight years. Rik Wilson-69 years old former graphic artist,middle school art teacher, and musician.In HOUSTON I was in the bands :Surgical II LS, which  morphed into Blistering Moments and  then later Jesus Penis. I also played in Xenophora, WIL-WIN; Cosmik Power Trio ( 1 CD) and Analites.(1982-1990 ). Blistering Moments released Therapeutic Dreams on the Dead Man Curve label (England) 1985 (vinyl) This band had three mellotrons and a bunch of other keys. Now I'm in CHARLOTTE making music as a solo artist ,as B. WILDERED...three self-released cd-r of space / esoteric musics and another project called A RAT KNEES which is a acid punk / nu metal band...three releases also. Thanks to PA I have grown to love ZEUHL and my music is bending in that direction. I hope to have my bands added to PA ,all fit the prog arena... I really do not know how to achieve this goal...working with the internet is difficult for me...I hope to figure it out soon.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 13:50
Adding to PA is as easy as having an official release...and then submitting it to the Star Chamber for review and approval, after that you need to supply 4 litres of pure blood plasma, a 40" flat screen TV and a box of Chocolate glazed chocolate donuts for the Admins lunch room. After that it's just a short 36 months before the band/album gets uploaded.  LOL

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 13:54
Anyone who changed their band name to Jesus Penis deserves a nod.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 02:45
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I can't imagine a band with that name getting too many gigs.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 06:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I can't imagine a band with that name getting too many gigs.
You never know. There was a band in my hometown called F*** Off C*** Face who seemed to do alright. 🤷🏻‍♂️

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 06:36
Originally posted by rik wilson rik wilson wrote:

I'm a new member; also, although I have used the site for eight years. Rik Wilson-69 years old former graphic artist,middle school art teacher, and musician.In HOUSTON I was in the bands :Surgical II LS, which  morphed into Blistering Moments and  then later Jesus Penis. I also played in Xenophora, WIL-WIN; Cosmik Power Trio ( 1 CD) and Analites.(1982-1990 ). Blistering Moments released Therapeutic Dreams on the Dead Man Curve label (England) 1985 (vinyl) This band had three mellotrons and a bunch of other keys. Now I'm in CHARLOTTE making music as a solo artist ,as B. WILDERED...three self-released cd-r of space / esoteric musics and another project called A RAT KNEES which is a acid punk / nu metal band...three releases also. Thanks to PA I have grown to love ZEUHL and my music is bending in that direction. I hope to have my bands added to PA ,all fit the prog arena... I really do not know how to achieve this goal...working with the internet is difficult for me...I hope to figure it out soon.

The band/artist submission procedure is here:

To pick the subgenre for the artist you're submitting, it's helpful to know what the subgenres are. These are on the main page of the site, just below the site's banner.

If you have questions about any of this, please ask here:
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>