Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Necks for Jazz Rock/Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Necks for Jazz Rock/Fusion
    Posted: March 14 2021 at 15:29
The Necks are a musical trio from Sydney, Australia, who play a difficult-to-categorise avant-garde jazz-rock. The lineup, stable since the group's formation in 1987, primarily conists of Chris Abrahams (piano), Lloyd Swanton (bass) and Tony Buck (percussion/guitar). They have released nearly thirty studio and live albums of their long, slowly-unfurling experimental improvisations. Their unique sound is heavily informed by minimalism and krautrock - their sophomore record, Next, is perhaps the most "traditionally" jazz-fusion of their discography, and one of the few to include outside collaborators. A more pronounced post-rock influence has entered their musical vocabulary over the past decade. The Necks will appeal to fans of a wide range of groups, from Can, Faust and Talk Talk to Miles Davis and Medeski Martin & Wood, to Tony Conrad and Philip Glass and even Swans.

"Sex" (1989)

"Next" (1990)

"Aquatic" (1994)

"Silent Night" (1996)

"Piano Bass Drums" (1998)

"Hanging Gardens" (1999)

"Aether" (2001)

"Athenaeum, Homebush, Quay & Raab" (2002)

"Drive By" (2003)

"Silverwater" (2009)

"Open" (2013)

"Vertigo" (2015)

"Unfold" (2017)

"Body" (2018)

"Three" (2020)

Edited by Gordy - March 14 2021 at 15:31
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 15:33
Wow. They aren't on here? 
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 15:37
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I was surprised, too! I see they have a Progfreak page, though, and their most recent album was classified as "Instrumental Prog Post Rock."
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 17:19
Thanks for the suggestion. I've always considered The Necks avant-garde jazz or experimental jazz with ambient flavorings. The only possible album i would consider having rock elements, much less prog would probably be BODY which has aspects of post-rock.

Keep in mind jazz-fusion isn't an all inclusive category here. We only add the MOST progressive of such acts that incorporate healthy doses of prog to the mix. Sure there are a few examples on this site where artists were added that probably shouldn't have been that doesn't mean we continue doing so.

Personally i'd give them a no but we'll see what others have to say.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 17:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Same thought here. I only know parts of their work but what I know seems very post-rocky to me with some jazz and experimentation (with some hints at psychedelia and kraut rock) thrown in. For me they fit 100% but I don't have to say much here.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 21:17
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Personally i'd give them a no but we'll see what others have to say.

Same here. They are a jazz band through and through (and if they skid off that track they fall into the avant-garde realms) and really have no place on PA.

Great band though. Enjoy them well. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 07:02
Would Post/Math ever consider giving them an evaluation? :3
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 08:20
They're an experimental improv minimalist jazz band to me. I adore them, but it's jazz.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply