Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free prog vsti recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free prog vsti recommendations?
    Posted: March 17 2021 at 05:03
Hi there! Any recommendations for progressive rock sounds for midi-recording you can download for free? I would love to have some more neo-prog sounding patches.

I myself use:
- Tal Reverb
- Spitfire BBC Orchestra
- Redtron Mellotron
- MT Powerdrumkit
- Lost in 70's Hanon B70 Organ
- Bitsonic LP Keyzone Classic
- 2Gether Audio Cheeze Machine
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 05:30
The ones I use most often are Monolisa for leads, Sytrus for leads, pads, & various keys, Tapeworm for mellotron-type sounds, Samsara FabBass for bass (obviously).
“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 06:42
The only free ones I have are MiniMogueVA, AnaMark, and Surge. I don't think any of these would be good for neo-prog, but MiniMogueVA is good for analog-styled sounds. I downloaded AnaMark to play around with its microtonal abilities. I barely used Surge, so I don't know enough about it to comment. I believe I used Tapeworm two years ago, but I bought myself GForce's M-Tron Pro 3 and haven't used anything else for mellotron-styled stuff since then.

Edited by progaardvark - March 17 2021 at 06:47
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 08:00
Blamsoft VK-1 completely blows MiniMogueVA out of water. It's IMHO the best free minimoog emulation out there.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 09:00
^I haven't heard of that one. Thanks for recommending it. I'll try that one out this weekend since I'm in the mood for goofing off and composing some new stuff.
----------
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 09:08
Trouble with a lot of free VSTs is that they're all pretty much based on the same engine. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 10:37
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Trouble with a lot of free VSTs is that they're all pretty much based on the same engine. 

Hi,

I have wondered about that ... sort of like a lot of the games in the market, that have the same "engine" for its start, and then are saddled with its limitations. This was much more visible 20 years ago, when all the engines for new games copied EQ. I can not say the same thing about VST's but I always wondered why they sounded so similar, when to me, a lot of the real instruments did not sound that ... poor!

I have used a few things ... IKT had that Philharmonic thing and it was really nice, with one problem ... using more than one item in their program meant that you had to know a lot more about music ... and it meant learning the geek stuff ... I still don't know how to use 2 or 3 different things from that program using different midi this or that bs! And, guess what ... no one can help you because most of them don't know it either!

It ended up being a frustrating money ripper.

Heck, I had Sonar X, and at one time Abelton Live 8 ... and I still could not record something then play something along with it and record it at the same time ... it got to be that I gave up ... I can still play things on my own, and love my trusty Jupiter 8-V (Arturia) for a lot of sounds and creative bruhaha, but some of these sounds are just sitting there ... I can do poetry over them, I can do some other music with it on my ear phones, but still can not record with them on. I guess geekery is not for me! Fudge on VST's and a lot of that crap of programs that are not for musicians ... I don't think!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2021 at 10:06
Thanks for all the tips!
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 08:04
Seriously, Friso, consider paying a little money for a VST. The quality really goes up for not much money. 

Then again, you can get so many good, cheap keyboards on eBay, and I'd rather have a physical instrument than a VST. But that's another post. ;-)

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 08:38
Slightly off-topic but you might come up with something interesting by playing around with something like Pure Data or SuperCollider.
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 10:50
Lists of free stuff, some of which might be useful for your purposes:

https://freedigitalinstruments.wordpress.com (mostly sample libraries; lots of orchestral stuff)

Some of the major makers of virtual instruments offer freebies:

https://u-he.com/products/ (scroll down a bit)

You might also check out KVR (https://www.kvraudio.com), both for the instrument listings and for the forum.

Edited by Tancos - March 23 2021 at 05:19
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 08:04
why dont you use like, real instruments
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 08:11
Originally posted by Tancos Tancos wrote:

Lists of free stuff, some of which might be useful for your purposes:

https://freedigitalinstruments.wordpress.com (mostly sample libraries; lots of orchestral stuff)

Some of the major makers of virtual instruments offer freebies:

https://u-he.com/products/ (scroll down a bit)

You might also check out KVR (https://www.kvraudio.com), both for the instrument listings and for the forum.

That Podolski synth from U-He had some really cool sounding presets. Thanks for the suggestions!
----------
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 12:27
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

why dont you use like, real instruments

Hi,

I'm not sure it is possible to learn so much and so many different instruments now, as it was before ... music has changed and the electronic VST's give someone a chance to create something else different from before ... although it is my opinion (sometimes) that most of it is misused so badly that it hurts ... but seeing a lot of the "new" generation of electronics these past 10 years and the amazing work, a couple of things are really easy to see ... 1) how Tangerine Dream had an effect on so much music and 2) how creative some folks have become ... and in some ways that scene is better than ever ... and more varied, and it has stretched much further than just one country!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 08:08
Cheap VSTs produce bad sounds, full stop. 

Arturia used to claim that their analogue synth range sounded identical to the original instruments. I can absolutely assure you that they don't. 

VSTs have their place for me insofar as you can write something using a preset, output the MIDI and get a quick example track. You then run the MIDI back through a real instrument and record that for a proper sound. 

Proper instruments are cheap, nowadays. You can just not do quality sounding music on the cheap or for nothing. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - October 14 2021 at 08:09

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 09:22
This modular styled freebie (Odin 2) does a decent impersonation of analogue styled retro goodness

Tyrell N6 from u-he is also a ridiculously brilliant analogue synth wannabe for precisely zero dollars

These could never replace the real hardware beasties of course given the practically infinite subtle and nuanced imperfections imparted by analogue circuitry alone which cannot be reduced to zeroes and ones in an algorithm. Two versions of a production line Moog wouldn't sound exactly the same even with the same front panel settings. It's interesting to see the prevailing fashion among plugin manufacturers for DSP processing that adds the sorts of imperfections and audio artifacts that the digital revolution celebrated as being consigned forever to the past. Imagine marketing a beauty cream that makes you look older?

Edited by ExittheLemming - October 14 2021 at 09:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 08:27
"Imagine marketing a beauty cream that makes you look older?" 

Big smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 08:37
The reason why two Moogs didn't sound the same was that tolerance of electronic parts was very wide back in the 60's and early 70's. I've seen resistors and capacitors from that time which were much as 20% out. Theoretically, you'd put a trim potentiometer in to make sure you got a correct voltage at one point, but they're actually not there in the older Moog designs. 

Plus, since all the PCBs were hand etched - you draw a circuit on the board using a pen and then acid etch the copper layer off - all the boards are different resistances as well. There's 1001 reasons why two hand built synths don't sound similar and whilst the Moogs are a very simple design, each one is different. 

The "Moog sound" relies on a transistor ladder filter which introduces distortion as the signal passes through several stages of transistor and capacitor filter stages. Because there are two transistors per stage of the ladder, each had to be performance matched (which is a black art in itself) . With modern transistors, you can bet performance is within the required parameters, but if you get hold of System 55 (etc) then you've got a filter which is now nearly 60 years old. So it'll have some degree of degradation in it somewhere. 

As Moog got more established, they produced much more complicated modules like the Bode filter and vocoder, which is basically a many stage filter. So, whilst they're made of slightly better stuff, they're much more complicated electronically and therefore with more individual variation. 

Etc etc etc. If anyone tells me you can replicate this in software - and my job is in software - then they're just *wrong*. You might be able to approximate it, but "approximate" is a very broad term. 

Put it like this. If a VST Arturia Moog Modular and MIDI keyboard sounded exactly like a 60's Moog Modular, they'd be selling it for much more. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 09:16
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

The reason why two Moogs didn't sound the same was that tolerance of electronic parts was very wide back in the 60's and early 70's. I've seen resistors and capacitors from that time which were much as 20% out. Theoretically, you'd put a trim potentiometer in to make sure you got a correct voltage at one point, but they're actually not there in the older Moog designs. 

Plus, since all the PCBs were hand etched - you draw a circuit on the board using a pen and then acid etch the copper layer off - all the boards are different resistances as well. There's 1001 reasons why two hand built synths don't sound similar and whilst the Moogs are a very simple design, each one is different. 

The "Moog sound" relies on a transistor ladder filter which introduces distortion as the signal passes through several stages of transistor and capacitor filter stages. Because there are two transistors per stage of the ladder, each had to be performance matched (which is a black art in itself) . With modern transistors, you can bet performance is within the required parameters, but if you get hold of System 55 (etc) then you've got a filter which is now nearly 60 years old. So it'll have some degree of degradation in it somewhere. 

As Moog got more established, they produced much more complicated modules like the Bode filter and vocoder, which is basically a many stage filter. So, whilst they're made of slightly better stuff, they're much more complicated electronically and therefore with more individual variation. 

Etc etc etc. If anyone tells me you can replicate this in software - and my job is in software - then they're just *wrong*. You might be able to approximate it, but "approximate" is a very broad term. 

Put it like this. If a VST Arturia Moog Modular and MIDI keyboard sounded exactly like a 60's Moog Modular, they'd be selling it for much more. 

Hi,

You just showed how/why Tangerine Dream had to go through in their early years and how difficult it was for Christopher Franke, at times, to get the proper setup ready in time for the next piece of music, instead of sitting down and having a cup of coffee and donut while he fiddles with his behemoth machines! Add to this the temperatures of various places and how different things would come out. And then, add to this a place that did not have enough electricity to heat the audience and the stage and the equipment ... Poland ... and it became a live album of excellent material! Get a bone on that one!

Sadly, as the times changed, TD could not be fighting with the behemoths any more, and CF ended up having to leave and the next run of folks in his place were folks that could handle a digital synth that could make it sound like some of the old stuff if necessary, something that CF was slow to come to.

You know what would be funny and weird? CF doing a comeback tour and then show up with 5 stacks of behemoths ... I actually might enjoy the freeform material he comes up with a lot more than the pre-fab anything else that we already know ... but the laugh so many folks will have about this "has been" would probably be one of the saddest things we all will ever see ... a man that really helped develop and find things that were needed from the synthesizer, in a way that most could not even imagine.
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 09:28
So how were those two posts connected ?

The specific ambient temperature of a venue has no effect on oscillator drift, so long as it's kept constant. Which is why they contain tempco resistors as adjusters. 

And "the next round of digital synths" sounded pretty much like their analogue forbears. If you were, say, Helen Keller. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - October 18 2021 at 09:35

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>