Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free prog vsti recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2021 at 10:06
Thanks for all the tips!
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 10:37
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Trouble with a lot of free VSTs is that they're all pretty much based on the same engine. 

Hi,

I have wondered about that ... sort of like a lot of the games in the market, that have the same "engine" for its start, and then are saddled with its limitations. This was much more visible 20 years ago, when all the engines for new games copied EQ. I can not say the same thing about VST's but I always wondered why they sounded so similar, when to me, a lot of the real instruments did not sound that ... poor!

I have used a few things ... IKT had that Philharmonic thing and it was really nice, with one problem ... using more than one item in their program meant that you had to know a lot more about music ... and it meant learning the geek stuff ... I still don't know how to use 2 or 3 different things from that program using different midi this or that bs! And, guess what ... no one can help you because most of them don't know it either!

It ended up being a frustrating money ripper.

Heck, I had Sonar X, and at one time Abelton Live 8 ... and I still could not record something then play something along with it and record it at the same time ... it got to be that I gave up ... I can still play things on my own, and love my trusty Jupiter 8-V (Arturia) for a lot of sounds and creative bruhaha, but some of these sounds are just sitting there ... I can do poetry over them, I can do some other music with it on my ear phones, but still can not record with them on. I guess geekery is not for me! Fudge on VST's and a lot of that crap of programs that are not for musicians ... I don't think!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 09:08
Trouble with a lot of free VSTs is that they're all pretty much based on the same engine. 

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 09:00
^I haven't heard of that one. Thanks for recommending it. I'll try that one out this weekend since I'm in the mood for goofing off and composing some new stuff.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 08:00
Blamsoft VK-1 completely blows MiniMogueVA out of water. It's IMHO the best free minimoog emulation out there.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 06:42
The only free ones I have are MiniMogueVA, AnaMark, and Surge. I don't think any of these would be good for neo-prog, but MiniMogueVA is good for analog-styled sounds. I downloaded AnaMark to play around with its microtonal abilities. I barely used Surge, so I don't know enough about it to comment. I believe I used Tapeworm two years ago, but I bought myself GForce's M-Tron Pro 3 and haven't used anything else for mellotron-styled stuff since then.

Edited by progaardvark - March 17 2021 at 06:47
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 05:30
The ones I use most often are Monolisa for leads, Sytrus for leads, pads, & various keys, Tapeworm for mellotron-type sounds, Samsara FabBass for bass (obviously).
“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 05:03
Hi there! Any recommendations for progressive rock sounds for midi-recording you can download for free? I would love to have some more neo-prog sounding patches.

I myself use:
- Tal Reverb
- Spitfire BBC Orchestra
- Redtron Mellotron
- MT Powerdrumkit
- Lost in 70's Hanon B70 Organ
- Bitsonic LP Keyzone Classic
- 2Gether Audio Cheeze Machine
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12