Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covet - a band you should hear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 17:59
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I am impressed with Yvette Young on guitar, and she has a pleasant voice as well as good looks (which can help), and would like to hear her on piano and violin as well. I rather hope she ditches the hairy dudes and releases albums under her own name (maybe she has). It is such an amazing time for female musicians (maybe it always was, but I feel like lots of the best singer-songwriters these days are women).
LOL The original hairys have been replaced by a new (girl) drummer and another hairy bassist.
Yvette has indeed issued three self-released all-acoustic solo EPs, on disc and digital, that showcase her boss skills on violin, piano, guitar, harp and banjo.

Some interesting parallels in approach, tone, and background with the late Eddie Van Halen--  both came from musical immigrant families, grew up in California, started on piano, taught themselves to play guitar, became multi-instrumentalists, often play Ibanez Strat-styles, and generally emulate the technology of rock guitar.   Cool chick.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 11:54
Sumfin (bad) happened and all the supremely gifted members are no longer with her. The new album has its moments, but on the whole this is a band that is best seen/heard live. Unfortunatley they cancelled their gig at the Trix. I would say that, as with Chon, this wonderful kind of music gets into a dead end quickly :-(
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 12:49
Originally posted by telefunk telefunk wrote:

Sumfin (bad) happened and all the supremely gifted members are no longer with her.

After a little more research, it's apparent the "badness" began with original bassist David Adamiak's behavior on their previous tour. Yvette's remarks remain cryptic and diplomatic (apart from, no, he'll never be able to rejoin).

Quote Young said, “I’ve been contemplating how to say this in a respectful way. It’s no secret now that my lineup is completely different for this tour (and future tours). I didn’t want to just leave this unaddressed.

“Simply put, things got to the point where I wanted to quit my own project and it really came down to whether I continue on with a fresh start or I just scrap this project entirely,” she continued. “I won’t get into hurtful details because I want to focus on the many big positives that have come into my life: Brandon and Jessica. 

“These lil birdies will be supporting on bass and drums (respectively) and I can’t explain how grateful I feel for them. I called it the rebirth tour for a reason. This is my shot at trying one more time. 

“Thank you to everyone who has been understanding, supportive, and patient [through] my silence.”

The announcement comes three months after Adamiak – who has been with Covet since their birth in 2014 – took to social media in August to share details over his departure from the band.

“I’m saddened to share today that I’ve decided to part ways with Covet,” he wrote. “I want to acknowledge all the fans who have reached out to express their concern, I’m grateful for your kindness and please know I’ve been wanting to reply to you but haven’t because I’ve been unsure how to navigate this subject.

“I’m very proud of the things we have accomplished,” he continued. “I wish Covet well as they continue forward.”

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 15:14
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I am impressed with Yvette Young on guitar, and she has a pleasant voice as well as good looks (which can help), and would like to hear her on piano and violin as well. I rather hope she ditches the hairy dudes and releases albums under her own name (maybe she has). It is such an amazing time for female musicians (maybe it always was, but I feel like lots of the best singer-songwriters these days are women).

LOL The original hairys have been replaced by a new (girl) drummer and another hairy bassist.

Yvette has indeed issued three self-released all-acoustic solo EPs, on disc and digital, that showcase her boss skills on violin, piano, guitar, harp and banjo.

You can hear the Piano EP here! piano EP | yvette young (bandcamp.com)

Upthread, I posted the video for "Jolt," the lone track which features percussion by then-bandmate Forrest Rice.

I enjoyed Jolt, good percussionist, and I checked out various of her "solo" music. She certainly is a very talented musician. I had read the thread, so had noticed that there wa s female drummer, thinking more long-term future for her.

And no real negativity intended here. I just thought that given her instrumental prowess, and attractive looks, she might find more success releasing music under her name (even as a bandleader) without hirsute, but not hideously so, and somewhat aesthetically alarming to my delicate disposition, bandmates. I will say that although I enjoy plenty of Covet's music, especially the earlier music, I do find it can be a bit samey and bit too conventional in a way for my quirky tastes. If it was more out there and compositionally unique then I might like it more. Maybe since I was playing black midi before listening to Covet yesterday, it seemed too tame to my ears by comparison.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 10:05

And no real negativity intended here. I just thought that given her instrumental prowess, and attractive looks, she might find more success releasing music under her name (even as a bandleader) without hirsute, but not hideously so, and somewhat aesthetically alarming to my delicate disposition, bandmates. I will say that although I enjoy plenty of Covet's music, especially the earlier music, I do find it can be a bit samey and bit too conventional in a way for my quirky tastes. If it was more out there and compositionally unique then I might like it more. Maybe since I was playing black midi before listening to Covet yesterday, it seemed too tame to my ears by comparison.

I think the new album is what it is: more of the same. Yvette is consistent, Covet is consistent (maybe a little too consistent). The next album, if things continue to heal, will be the real tell. Tracking Catharsis was no doubt affected by behind-the-scenes drama. I guess it was a bigger deal than I estimated, since Yvette nearly folded the tent. But the next album will surely spell things out. Either way, I'm along with Yvette on her journey, wherever that takes her.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2023 at 13:26
Barely an hour old, the new video for "Coronal" is the first to feature the current Covet line-up!

Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2023 at 21:39
Didn't Covet release a new album this year?
D~B
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2023 at 00:27
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

Didn't Covet release a new album this year?

Affirmative! It's called Catharsis. I've posted two videos. Go back a page and scroll halfway down. It's on A-zon for only $10, shipped.
ledzepfan63 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledzepfan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 08:51
no than k  youTongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12