Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands that stopped while they were still great

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands that stopped while they were still great
    Posted: March 24 2021 at 04:32
Just what the title says. Can you think of bands who stopped while they were still great? My friend brought this up on FB. I thought of The Clash.
“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 04:42
Egg
Coroner
Sieges Even
Crimson Glory
Savatage
Magnitude 9
Twelfth Night
Talk Talk
Cinderella
OSI
Chroma Key

Edited by Cristi - March 24 2021 at 04:42
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 04:43
ABBA
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 04:45
The Jam and XTC.

Edited by chopper - March 24 2021 at 05:01
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 04:56
The Mahavishnu Orchestra

Artists Choice: Lee Ritenour on His 1970s Influences - JazzTimes
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:16
Comus
Songs cast a light on you
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:19
Certainly XTC.

In the prog world I think King Crimson stopped at their peak in the 70's. Yes, they resumed later but there was a significant break.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

XTC.

Folks on this forum seem to really like them a lot. Ok, unpopular opinion. I think Andy Partridge was capable of genius works of pop music, but often he wasn’t doing his best work. I think he wrote too many songs. Even their best albums have weak songs, and they’re always “colour by numbers” Partridge songs. He seems to have been a habitual song-writer who was more focussed on quantity than quality at times. But when he wrote well he wrote really, really well.

Suffice to say I don’t think they were at their peak when they ended. And didn’t Partridge continue to release songs after the band ended anyway?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:28
Originally posted by Crane Crane wrote:

XTC.

Folks on this forum seem to really like them a lot. Ok, unpopular opinion. I think Andy Partridge was capable of genius works of pop music, but often he wasn’t doing his best work. I think he wrote too many songs. Even their best albums have weak songs, and they’re always “colour by numbers” Partridge songs. He seems to have been a habitual song-writer who was more focussed on quantity than quality at times. But when he wrote well he wrote really, really well.

Suffice to say I don’t think they were at their peak when they ended. And didn’t Partridge continue to release songs after the band ended anyway?

I agree they weren't at their 'peak' when they stopped as the classic line up; Partridge, Moulding and Gregory, but they were still 'great' and that was the question posed for discussion.

They probably peaked around English Settlement for me, although some of the albums they released afterwards were excellent. I think Mummer is criminally underrated. Skylarking is also fantastic. I also always regarded Partridge as a very original and eclectic songwriter, not a 'colour by numbers' writer at all.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:29

XTC.

Partridge did release some stuff after XTC split for good but not much that I know of - there's the Fuzzy Warbles albums but they're mainly old songs and demos. Anyway, that doesn't count because XTC had finished.
I don't think they were at their peak when they ended either (that was probably English Settlement) but their last 2 albums were still great. Talking of English Settlement, Partridge wrote most of the songs for that album and there aren't many double albums I can think of that have such consistent quality of songwriting.
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:33
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I also always regarded Partridge as a very original and eclectic songwriter, not a 'colour by numbers' writer at all.

I critique him as a composer myself. He certainly has an idiosyncratic songwriting style. Some of his songs feel like simple rearrangements of the same ingredients as other songs, if that makes sense. And especially lyrically I think he can be overwhelmingly trite at times. “Pink Thing” from the otherwise excellent ‘Oranges & Lemons’ is the prime example for me, it almost makes me embarrassed. I wouldn’t give him this level of scrutiny if I weren’t a fan, mind you!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:34
King Crimson kept stopping at their (whenever) current peak. Always great in different ways.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:41

I also always regarded Partridge as a very original and eclectic songwriter, not a 'colour by numbers' writer at all.

I critique him as a composer myself. He certainly has an idiosyncratic songwriting style. Some of his songs feel like simple rearrangements of the same ingredients as other songs, if that makes sense. And especially lyrically I think he can be overwhelmingly trite at times. “Pink Thing” from the otherwise excellent ‘Oranges & Lemons’ is the prime example for me, it almost makes me embarrassed. I wouldn’t give him this level of scrutiny if I weren’t a fan, mind you!

I agree about Pink Thing. Lyrics are bloody awful!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:45

Pink Thing is basically a pun/joke ("I want to take you out and show you to the girls,"). 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:46

Pink Thing is basically a pun/joke ("<span style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">I want to take you out and show you to the girls,"). </span>

Yeah, I'd be horrified if I thought it was serious...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:47
Oranges & Lemons vs Nonsvch.

What's the verdict?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:48
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Beatles yet.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:49
Jellyfish
Mirthkon
Khan
Antique Seeking Nuns
Nova Collective
U.K.
Frogg Cafe
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:53
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Jellyfish
Mirthkon
Khan
Antique Seeking Nuns
Nova Collective
U.K.
Frogg Cafe
Ah yes, if ever there was a band that should have made a second album, it was Khan. Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 06:21

Oranges & Lemons vs Nonsvch.

What's the verdict?

Tough one, not heard Nonsuch as much as O&L. I'll have to pass for now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>