0 [0.00%]
2 [10.00%]
3 [15.00%]
2 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 07:58
Assumming that new-wave drummers are welcomed here, what about Martin Chambers from The Pretenders?
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 08:09
Poll makes no sense now that Stuart Copeland's name has been removed.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 08:20
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I will also vote for Warran Can of Ultravox and i will lett wikipedia to sa it for me why.

" 1978 when Ultravox released the Systems of Romance album, Cann's style of drumming turned away from its rock roots and toward what was becoming the New Wave sound. He endeavoured to have extremely precise timing; this would make the songs with live drums match songs driven by electronic, programmed percussion. For an example of this, compare the song "Sleepwalk", where Cann plays live drums, to "Mr. X", where the drums are sequenced. Both of these tracks can be found on Vienna. Despite his machine-like timing, Cann would often do things that neither drum machines nor electronically sequenced percussion could do at the time. Specifically, he would often play very precise triplet fills and crescendos, especially on the snare drum. While these two techniques are easily accomplished by electronic instruments today, around 1979–1982 they were virtually impossible. In essence, it could fool the listeners to believe they were hearing a drum machine, only to prove them wrong through out-performing the rather rudimentary sequencing possibilities of the time". 000000
I agree. Cann's precision was like a machine. Very under rated.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 08:34
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

why?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 08:36
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Assumming that new-wave drummers are welcomed here, what about Martin Chambers from The Pretenders?

Good choice.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 08:40

I shouldn't have included him to start with. It was always going to be a landslide, and he had effectively won. So, Itought removing him would make it less of a no brainer.

His inclusion was a bit like pitting Neil Peart against Bill Ward in the same poll. No disprespect to Bill, of course, but people voted Copeland on his obvious technical skill, no whether they preferred the Police to the bands the other drummers were in. It was also pointed out that Copeland was historically a prog drummer.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 08:45
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I was hoping there would be jazz drummers here. 

Copeland is the easy choice. 

The OP makes it clear that this is not about jazz drummers. That is why there are no jazz drummers there.

No it doesn't.

The OP is

Non prog/metal/hard rock drummers

To the best of my knowledge jazz is neither prog, metal or hard rock

Jazz-fusion is not pure jazz

OP means Opening Post. If you actually read the OP, you will see it is clear that this is not about jazz drummers. It specifically talks about pop and punk drummers.

I’m not even sure why you put the “jazz-fusion is not pure jazz” part! 😄

Now that someone has changed the title it's clear but it wasn't when i first posted Wink

It was. As you point out, the title was changed. I stated that the OP made it clear what the poll was asking. You stated it didn’t, and quoted the title (not the OP). I never said that the poll was clear by the title. In fact, in another comment I said that the reason the question wasn’t being answered as intended was because the title didn’t make it clear. But the OP did, if anyone bothered to read it. (Which, it seems, most didn’t.)

There was no OP. Whatever you're talking about wasn't visible on my end. I don't know what happened but i promise i read everything before responding.

But whatever. I think it's all clear now :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 10:43
^ Here was the original OP.

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Ok, so prog rock, hard rock and metal are synonamous with excellent drummers, but in the world of pop and punk, who stands out??

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 11:39

I shouldn't have included him to start with. It was always going to be a landslide, and he had effectively won. So, Itought removing him would make it less of a no brainer.

His inclusion was a bit like pitting Neil Peart against Bill Ward in the same poll. No disprespect to Bill, of course, but people voted Copeland on his obvious technical skill, no whether they preferred the Police to the bands the other drummers were in. It was also pointed out that Copeland was historically a prog drummer.

Maybe be an idea to have a rethink and post a fresh poll on this theme. Might also be interesting to do similar polls for pop/punk guitarists, bass players & keyboard players.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 15:44
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^ Here was the original OP.

Ok, so prog rock, hard rock and metal are synonamous with excellent drummers, but in the world of pop and punk, who stands out??

Where did it go? I never saw that. This thread is too confusing. I'll just opt out :)

I do love both pop and punk though but don't equate excellent drummers with those styles.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 15:50
I'm going with the blank space that has 8 votes.

Edited by SteveG - March 26 2021 at 15:50
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 06:05
Now that Copeland has been taken out of the equation, I can give my vote to the excellent Budgie of Siouxsie and the Banshees (he was also married to Siouxsie for over 15 years). Anyone interested in his skills should also check out Budgie and Siouxsie's side project, The Creatures, which focuses on vocals and percussion.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 07:11
If I hadn’t already voted, I’d go for Roger Taylor, because I love a lot of what he did with Duran Duran. Often his drumming was integral to the song. This is by no means anywhere near my favourite DD song, nor the best example of Taylor’s drumming, but it’s a music video based around Shakespeare and zombies. What more could you ask for? 😜🧟🧟‍♀️🧟‍♂️

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 15:07
Budgie - Siouxsie & the Banshees
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 15:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm going with the blank space that has 8 votes.

Was that Stewart?
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 17:28
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I will also vote for Warran Can of Ultravox and i will lett wikipedia to sa it for me why.

" 1978 when Ultravox released the Systems of Romance album, Cann's style of drumming turned away from its rock roots and toward what was becoming the New Wave sound. He endeavoured to have extremely precise timing; this would make the songs with live drums match songs driven by electronic, programmed percussion. For an example of this, compare the song "Sleepwalk", where Cann plays live drums, to "Mr. X", where the drums are sequenced. Both of these tracks can be found on Vienna. Despite his machine-like timing, Cann would often do things that neither drum machines nor electronically sequenced percussion could do at the time. Specifically, he would often play very precise triplet fills and crescendos, especially on the snare drum. While these two techniques are easily accomplished by electronic instruments today, around 1979–1982 they were virtually impossible. In essence, it could fool the listeners to believe they were hearing a drum machine, only to prove them wrong through out-performing the rather rudimentary sequencing possibilities of the time". 000000
I agree. Cann's precision was like a machine. Very under rated.

My vote would have been Cann.    
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 20:56
I’ll give a belated vote to Topper Headon.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123