Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Genesis appriciation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Genesis appriciation
    Posted: March 26 2021 at 10:10
An hour ago the bell rang and my new vinyl copy of Genesis' Trespass was delivered ; the 2018 pressing of the 2007/2008 remix-remaster. I'm now listening to the instrumental finale of 'The Knife' as I'm writing this and must say I'm hugely excited about really 'getting' Genesis for the first time! I have owned all their classic albums on vinyl at one time and listened to Nursery Cryme a few times the last years, but I just couldn't get passed that muffled, vague sound of their records. This new mix is quite different from the original vinyl, and I can imagine it might take a while to get used to it if you've been listening to the seventies vinyl mix for the last fifty years. I think the 2007/2008 mix has way more clarity, less noise, crystal sharp acoustic guitars, more dynamics (difference in volume), thicker drums and perhaps most importantly; it shows the talent of Pater Gabriel beyond comparison with the original. His voice sounds warm, emotive, detailed and slightly more on top of the mix (instead of drowning in it). Listening to Trespass just now really made me realize how special his vocals actually are.

I'm writing this, partly because I'm that psyched , but also because I would warmly recommend trying these remixes if you've also struggled to get into Genesis because of the sound of their albums.

I also ordered the 2018 vinyls of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and I already received The Lamb - which I can appreciatie a bit now, though it still sounds largely like a demo to me. I expect to get as much joy out of Cryme and Foxtrot though, as the online digital previews sounded really good as well.

I'm curious what your opinions are on these 2007/2008 remixes!     

Edited by friso - March 26 2021 at 10:17
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 10:33
Have A Trick of the Tail 2007 remix, on CD/DVD, and to my ears it's dog doo. To much treble added to the mix that gives it a harsh sound. However, the DVD that is included, the 1976 concert footage with Bruford on drums is superb. Well worth the purchase for that.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 26 2021 at 17:32
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 11:38
Even though it is supposed to be about the music, many older albums are marred by poor sound on the masters used for release. Remasters and remixes help bring out the best qualities of the original music. For me, The Yes Album is the poster-child. Great songs, but I never liked the sound. I still think it sounds thin, but the remastered version I recently acquired goes a long way towards renewed enjoyment. Trespass has always been a great album in my book, and I am glad you are fully appreciating it.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 13:38
The Remixes are an order of magnitude better than the original releases...FULL STOP !
There is no comparison. I value my original albums as a bit of a collector, but for listenability...get the remixed version of the early albums. Can't speak to remixed Trick of the Tail, I think the original release is just fine.

Edited by JD - March 26 2021 at 16:40
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 13:52
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

The Remixes are an order of magnitude better than the original releases...FULL STOP !
There is no comparison. I value my original albums as a bit of a collector, but for listenability...get the remixed version of the early albums. Can't speak to remixed Trick of the Tale, I think the original release is just fine.
I'd go with the remix on ATotT. Never heard Phil's bass drum before. He's quite a little Bonham on those.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 15:30
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

An hour ago the bell rang and my new vinyl copy of Genesis' Trespass was delivered ; the 2018 pressing of the 2007/2008 remix-remaster. I'm now listening to the instrumental finale of 'The Knife' as I'm writing this and must say I'm hugely excited about really 'getting' Genesis for the first time! I have owned all their classic albums on vinyl at one time and listened to Nursery Cryme a few times the last years, but I just couldn't get passed that muffled, vague sound of their records. This new mix is quite different from the original vinyl, and I can imagine it might take a while to get used to it if you've been listening to the seventies vinyl mix for the last fifty years. I think the 2007/2008 mix has way more clarity, less noise, crystal sharp acoustic guitars, more dynamics (difference in volume), thicker drums and perhaps most importantly; it shows the talent of Pater Gabriel beyond comparison with the original. His voice sounds warm, emotive, detailed and slightly more on top of the mix (instead of drowning in it). Listening to Trespass just now really made me realize how special his vocals actually are.

I'm writing this, partly because I'm that psyched , but also because I would warmly recommend trying these remixes if you've also struggled to get into Genesis because of the sound of their albums.

I also ordered the 2018 vinyls of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and I already received The Lamb - which I can appreciatie a bit now, though it still sounds largely like a demo to me. I expect to get as much joy out of Cryme and Foxtrot though, as the online digital previews sounded really good as well.

I'm curious what your opinions are on these 2007/2008 remixes!     

I think...think, some of the 2018 reissues are mastered at Abbey Road and cut by Miles Showell as 1/2 speed using the 2007/8 remix versions by Nick Davis. I have all original Charisma issues and pretty much all are that krappy veiled, dull sounding mix. I have the 2007/8 Nick Davis remix versions of NC, Fox, SEBtP and ATOtT and yes these are all glorious pressings done also as 1/2 speed masters. These are all cut by Miles and pressed at Pallas or Optimal Media. My copy of Trespass is not too bad, its a later US version on MCA label, better than the horrid Charisma's cut at Trident in UK.
My '74 copy of The Lamb is really good as its a "Porky" (George Peckham) cut so I don't feel the need for the reissue version.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 16:28
I am guilty of not paying attention to the OP. If we are discussing only vinyl remixes of the Genesis catalog, I have no opinion, as I haven't bought or heard vinyl in over 35 years.

Carry on you wealthy vinyl audiophiles.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 26 2021 at 16:29
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 17:41
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I am guilty of not paying attention to the OP. If we are discussing only vinyl remixes of the Genesis catalog, I have no opinion, as I haven't bought or heard vinyl in over 35 years.

Carry on you wealthy vinyl audiophiles.

Don't go to your grave never hearing how music should really sound and be experienced......Analog gear is light years better than it was 30yrs ago, it's not even close. At least do yourself a sonic favor to your ears and go to an audio shop and see if they have a really nice analog setup and sit and listen, you'll be picking your jaw off the ground the whole time!
LOL
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 23:08
The remixes you can actually hear! A lot of the old prog stuff sounds like it was recorded through drywall, drums on the roof, guitar in the closet, etc. lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 02:29
And Then There Were Three is the best imo. Also totally disagree with the comment about Trick having too much treble. Squonk is so powerful bass wise on the remix it could blow a sub-woofer or two. The 2007/8 Genesis remasters are as good as anything I've heard. I have the studio albums up to and inc ABACAB (after that I stop caring about Genesis albums anyway). Would also have liked to get the 2007/8 Seconds Out remaster but didn't want to splash out on the expensive live box set.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 08:39
Trick of the Tail is not my favorite album (don't dig the second side), but I must say the digital version of the remix/remaster sounded way better. Almost bought it as well. The old Charisma version of Mad Man Moon was so vague it felt intoxicating to even listen to.

Edited by friso - March 27 2021 at 08:39
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
 Post Reply Post Reply