Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bowchicawowow Tape Co.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bowchicawowowtapeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bowchicawowow Tape Co.
    Posted: March 28 2021 at 15:48
Hey Prog Archives folks!

This site means the world to me.  I discovered it in 2004 while I was in my first year of college, and by reading reviews and using the streaming function, I was introduced to many of my favorite artists, many of which I became my friends' favorite artists as well. Off the top of my head, some of the artists that were delivered to me via progarchives are: Magma, Can, Ruins, The Residents, Henry Cow, Dün, Behold! The Arctopus. 

It's a weird thing to consider:  What would my life be like if I was introduced to Magma ten years later?  *shudder*...

The internet was very different back then, and we didn't have instant access to nearly any song we wanted via youtube or spotify.   The playlists that progarchives had set up for each artist almost became albums unto themselves.  Some of the playlists are still memorized in my head in the same way an album's track listing would be.   Of course I regularly used them to listen to the classic artists I wanted to hear when I was away from my CD collection (Genesis, Yes, Jethro, Zappa, Beefheart, Floyd, etc)

This time spent exploring music on progarchives shaped my life for the better.  So to any of you contributors reading this, a big thank you!  Lots of admiration your way.  Your hard work has a deep impact.

As this is the "Welcome Artists" section, I should probably get on with it.

Bowchicawowow Tape Company is my "fake" record label.  It exists as a seemingly necessary device to foster the many musical projects I've been involved with over the years.  The label consists of many bands which are all really different combinations of the same dozen or so musicians, creating more material than is realistic for our real-life bands to take on.  And so, I am sitting on a pile of music that would like to be heard, and hopefully through whatever Bowchicawowow becomes, that will happen.

Here's three samples of the sounds we're making:

One albums still in the works at the studio, from Black Fax Bulletin. Here's one of the songs as a work-in-progress: https://soundcloud.com/user-559211456/black-hat-white-hat-early/s-GjqxDAybhY2

From a band called Thurpt is the next album to come out (once I find somebody who wants to host/debut it): https://soundcloud.com/user-559211456/the-quest-1

And our first record to go out was 'The Luncheon' from Sylvia's Taco Salad:
https://bowchicawowow.bandcamp.com/album/the-luncheon

Thanks for reading and listening!

Edited by Bowchicawowowtapeco - March 28 2021 at 16:46
Chaperone of brown and decidedly un-hip music in Ontario.
Bowchicawowow Tape Company
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 18:24
The music is nice but the song titles reek of lazy and forced avant-garde. ;)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 19:11
Originally posted by Bowchicawowowtapeco Bowchicawowowtapeco wrote:

Hey Prog Archives folks!

This site means the world to me.  I discovered it in 2004 while I was in my first year of college, and by reading reviews and using the streaming function, I was introduced to many of my favorite artists, many of which I became my friends' favorite artists as well. Off the top of my head, some of the artists that were delivered to me via progarchives are: Magma, Can, Ruins, The Residents, Henry Cow, Dün, Behold! The Arctopus. 

It's a weird thing to consider:  What would my life be like if I was introduced to Magma ten years later?  *shudder*...

The internet was very different back then, and we didn't have instant access to nearly any song we wanted via youtube or spotify.   The playlists that progarchives had set up for each artist almost became albums unto themselves.  Some of the playlists are still memorized in my head in the same way an album's track listing would be.   Of course I regularly used them to listen to the classic artists I wanted to hear when I was away from my CD collection (Genesis, Yes, Jethro, Zappa, Beefheart, Floyd, etc)

This time spent exploring music on progarchives shaped my life for the better.  So to any of you contributors reading this, a big thank you!  Lots of admiration your way.  Your hard work has a deep impact.

As this is the "Welcome Artists" section, I should probably get on with it.

Bowchicawowow Tape Company is my "fake" record label.  It exists as a seemingly necessary device to foster the many musical projects I've been involved with over the years.  The label consists of many bands which are all really different combinations of the same dozen or so musicians, creating more material than is realistic for our real-life bands to take on.  And so, I am sitting on a pile of music that would like to be heard, and hopefully through whatever Bowchicawowow becomes, that will happen.

Here's three samples of the sounds we're making:

One albums still in the works at the studio, from Black Fax Bulletin. Here's one of the songs as a work-in-progress: https://soundcloud.com/user-559211456/black-hat-white-hat-early/s-GjqxDAybhY2

From a band called Thurpt is the next album to come out (once I find somebody who wants to host/debut it): https://soundcloud.com/user-559211456/the-quest-1

And our first record to go out was 'The Luncheon' from Sylvia's Taco Salad:
https://bowchicawowow.bandcamp.com/album/the-luncheon

Thanks for reading and listening!

That's a great story!! Thanks for sharing your journey with PA...........Thumbs Up
Bowchicawowowtapeco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowchicawowowtapeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 21:47
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

heh, which album?

I ask because It's likely that I agree with you and would probably forward your post to somebody in particular who needs to know it's not only me that thinks that. XD

Edited by Bowchicawowowtapeco - April 20 2021 at 21:51
Chaperone of brown and decidedly un-hip music in Ontario.
Bowchicawowow Tape Company
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 09:50

Really?

This is a place where "the Greats" have titles like Karn Evil 9, Return of the Giant Hogweed and 21st Century Schizoid Man

Their song titles are just fine.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 10:11
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Really?

This is a place where "the Greats" have titles like Karn Evil 9, Return of the Giant Hogweed and 21st Century Schizoid Man

Their song titles are just fine.
Oh, and let's not forget the hilarious ones like 'If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You', or 'Rattlesnakeplumcake'; Also, I love titles like: 'Prelude to the Afternoon of a Sexually Aroused Gas Mask', 'The Nine Lifeless Daughters of the Sun', 'Squeezing Sponges over Policemen's Heads', 'Sunrise in the Third System', 'Restless Skylight-Transistor-Child', 'Birth of Liquid Plejades', 'Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus', 'Larks' Tongues In Aspic', 'Nebehr Gudahtt', and 'Meurglys III (The Songwriters Guild) - killer tracks that are also a healthy reminder how prog has always been 'Close to the Edge', and even got way past it in the mid-to-late 70s. And that is why we love it!

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - April 21 2021 at 10:11
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 12:58
Actually the titles are fine. I was probably in a weird mood when I wrote that post. xDDDDDD
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply