Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fields (1971)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fields (1971)
    Posted: March 30 2021 at 07:16
New to me...

https://youtu.be/BSAX1Bx4ZNg

Fields was an English progressive rock band formed in 1971 by drummer Andrew McCulloch, keyboardist Graham Field, and bassist-vocalist Alan Barry. McCulloch had previously been a member of King Crimson, appearing on the band's third album Lizard. Field founded Rare Bird in 1968 and departed in early 1971, and Barry was a former member of The Dowlands (aka The Dowland Brothers, 1962-1963) with the Giles brothers Peter and Michael who would eventually become members of King Crimson.

Fields released one album, "Fields", in 1971,[1] and one single from the album, "A Friend of Mine", in 1973. They did record a second album in 1972 with ex-Supertramp bassist-vocalist Frank Farrell replacing the departed Alan Barry, but the record was shelved by CBS and not initially released. The master tapes of this album were re-mastered and released as Contrasts: Urban Roar to Country Peace in 2015,[2] with the full involvement of Graham Field.

According to Field, CBS management changed and "the new faces did not want to know us",[3] so the group disbanded. Field had the rights to the name Rare Bird, and returned to working in that area and in television themes. McCulloch went on to become a founder member of Greenslade. Barry went on to become a founder member of the late 1970s-era UK rock band, King Harry.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 08:33
Good album.....have a cd of it. I'm also a fan of Rare Bird...have all the original vinyls as well as Greenslade and Crimson of course. Been looking in the shops for years,  have yet to find a used vinyl copy of Fields but then they are not all that common in the US. Originals are expensive on CBS and Epic also. They can be had on line if you want to shell out some money.

I'm a fan of those early 70's Brit proto prog and prog bands. You might know of these but a few others I like in a 'similar vein'....
Quatermass
Refugee
Samurai
Web
Flash
Badger
Fantasy
Spring

Edited by dr wu23 - March 30 2021 at 08:50
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 08:46
I hope I run across a CD of it one day.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 08:53
Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

It's available on Amazon at a decent price.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 30 2021 at 08:53
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 09:19
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Good album.....have a cd of it. I'm also a fan of Rare Bird...have all the original vinyls as well as Greenslade and Crimson of course. Been looking in the shops for years,  have yet to find a used vinyl copy of Fields but then they are not all that common in the US. Originals are expensive on CBS and Epic also. They can be had on line if you want to shell out some money.

I'm a fan of those early 70's Brit proto prog and prog bands. You might know of these but a few others I like in a 'similar vein'....
Quatermass
Refugee
Samurai
Web
Flash
Badger
Fantasy
Spring

I've given high ratings and rave reviews for all of those albums. Wink
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 11:28
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 11:34

I saw it on Discogs for $25
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 11:40
it’s £10 on Amazon in the UK, which is the upper range for a CD, but still normal.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 11:51
I wrote a review for the Fields album awhile ago, back in the days when I still had time to write album reviews. Smile

Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 12:56
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; text-trans: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-weight: 400; word-spacing: 0px; : none; display: inline !imant; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; widows: 2; : rgb255, 255, 255; text-decoration-color: initial; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-thickness: initial;">I wrote a review for the Fields album awhile ago, back in the days when I still had time to write album reviews. </span>Smile

Nice!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 13:55
Thanks for the heads up  , I've ordered it on Amazon and should get it tomorrow or Thursday. Also comes with 'auto-rip' which is very handy!

Andy McCulloch may be the most underrated/under appreciated drummer of that era. Greenslade were an immense band in no short measure down to him , and a band that I am getting to appreciate a lot more nowadays. Looking forward to hearing this.

Edited by richardh - March 30 2021 at 13:56
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 17:14

Many copies on A——n for under $20.

And you definitely want to check out Rare Bird's second album, As Your Mind Flies By.

Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 20:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Many copies on A——n for under $20.

And you definitely want to check out Rare Bird's second album, As Your Mind Flies By.

Oh I plan on getting the Rare Bird box set in May. :)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:24

Synphonic has it also and for only 16 dollars. 
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 13:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Synphonic has it also and for only 16 dollars. 

His website looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time. Is Synphonic still active?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 17:38

His website looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time. Is Synphonic still active?

It is. I know Greg and he's a great guy. The best way to order from him is to ask him to email you the latest update so you can check out the new arrivals. He has a lot of stuff that's not listed online. Then maybe you can order a few things along with Fields. He may take a few days to respond.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 18:28
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

It is. I know Greg and he's a great guy. The best way to order from him is to ask him to email you the latest update so you can check out the new arrivals. He has a lot of stuff that's not listed online. Then maybe you can order a few things along with Fields. He may take a few days to respond.

Thanks!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 18:36
Greg apparently is in the process of moving. He just hasn't updated his site(synphonic) in a while but he does add new items. I know he has stuff on there from 2020 and maybe even a few things from 2021. I remember an announcement a few years ago that he was going to have his website redone with a new look but it never happened. His site is awkward as far as navigating it goes but the important thing is he has lot's of great prog(even though the prices aren't always the cheapest).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 01:42
Excellent album if a little bit unfocused. It bridges the raw proto-prog of Quatermass and the clean sheen of Greenslade. Solid 4 star album if ever there was.
 Post Reply Post Reply