0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 15:54
Gillan "No Laughing in Heaven" (Raff). Knowing Ian Gillan only for his singing in Deep Purple, this was actually a rather weird experience. Don't know if I find it particularly funny (it's a bit theatrical at times), but I quite like the composition. I still prefer him as a Deep Purple singer. The performance looks like playback, unfortunately.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 16:01
Here are my votes.  Thank you all so much for participating, all of these were funny in so many different ways, there are so many ways to laugh in life and may we all keep smiling!  

1  Raff:  Gillan “No Laughing In Heaven” As expected, a hard rocker with Ian Gillan’s whiskey voice taking on the unlikely theme of religion in such a funny way!  Perfect choice, Raff.  Great organ riff comes in after Ian’s fire and brimstone preacher impersonation.  Surprise!  He’s arrested after St Peter lets him in to the Pearly Gates, summing it all up with heaven ain’t all it’s cracked up to be, in fact, it’s actually hell!  this one won for me, I love irony.  And I love a guy who can poke fun at himself.

2  dr wu23John Prine “Dear Abby”  The venerable John Prine (RIP) in a live recording, this particular song I haven’t heard.  Here he writes to Dear Abby, asking for advice, solo acoustic guitar and John’s voice alone.  This poor guy is so afflicted with his life, lol!  We are what we are and we ain’t what we ain’t!  Love his pseudonyms for each verse….And, pretty good advice there, too.  Some people never learn this, who knew that John Prine had all the answers we need, in this tidy package of a song.  I love songs that take something we all know about and then riff on it, with a twist.  

3.  suitkees:  King Missile “Eating People”  Begins with piano, beautifully played, and a person going into the possible reasons for cannibalism.  It becomes very light in tone, with the awful concept being happily sung (hilarious!).  A good parody on some of the discussions of why someone is vegetarian or vegan.  Nice horn solo ¾ of the way in.  I have a healthy love of dark humour and found this very laugh-worthy 

Honourable Mention:

The Anders:  Fjernsyn Fjernsyn "Nr. 1"  This one has a beginning that resembles warped kazoos (saxophone?) in a staccato rhythm and some drums.  Some washy guitar flailing with feedback enters and the kazoos are gone.  It becomes a clattering like a kitchen in a washing machine with the saxophone sounds squealing madly and the drums have returned.  This continues for some time, with the saxophones finally coming to more clarity, yet still utterly pandemonic.  In the final minute, it sort of becomes more steadily rhythmical before the poor creature is put out of it’s misery and there is a sort of alien ship sound and the crackling of vinyl. This one is just so outre, could have possibly won had there not be stronger contenders with lyrical humour. 

Notes on Cristi, George & Lewian

Cristi:  I had seen this before, in the other poll, so even though I still find it probably the funniest one of all, am holding the vote for an unknown piece.  Nanowar of Steel “Barbie MILF Princess of the Twilight”  They waste no time in getting into hard-hitting rock at warp speed.  Very funny video, mocking Barbie’s plasticity and acquisitiveness and also rockstars, as hey show up in a pink Barbie tourbus.  Lots of funny commentary in the video, this one never slows down for a second.  Also, unicorns!  😊  (also an observation:  They also mention “Dildo Faggins,” in the Harvard Lampoon’s sendup, “Bored of the Rings,”  Bilbo is named Dildo Bugger, lol.)

Also choice heard before, George:  Your Choice: Denis Leary “A**hole”  Now this one I do remember, he was pretty funny as a shock comedian.  Begins with acoustic guitar and love his kind of satiric commentary.  Yeah, sometimes it takes a really long time to evolve, sadly.  He was right on, with this.  One of those things that are true, yet funny.  Loved the choirboy chorus….he got those stereotypes so right!  Kinda reminds me of someone.  You, too?  If you'd chosen this one, it might have won 2nd or 3rd for me.   Alestorm “F*cked With An Anchor”  A charming little ditty (and love the bloodied keyboard!)  In kind of an Irish jig mode, very rousing and full of expletives, made me laugh! Plus, they’re actually pretty good players, so pull it off well. 

Note on Lewian:  Your Choice: Deichkind “Richtig Gutes Zeug” This one starts with an 80’s kind of keyboard, but spoken vocals.  Yes, there is a tendency in people to think they have the best of everything (unless they are envious of things others have), whether it’s truly “good,” or not.   Also, the endless acquisitiveness of so many people to buy, buy, buy, have, have, have.  10CC “I Bought A Flat Guitar Tutor”  This is very, very cleverly put together and quite funny to me.  I of course know of them, but never really got a good listen.  Gotta love good music humour!  If you'd have picked 10CC, it would have been vying for 2nd or 3rd as well.

Edited by Snicolette - April 12 2021 at 16:04
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 08:57
The old favorites take it this round.

John Prine, "Dear Abby"

Todd Snider, "Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues"

Frank Zappa, "Dancing Fool"

If I had two more votes, they'd go to Scatterbrain and They Might Be Giants.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 09:41
Sorry I haven't voted yet.  I've been working on getting in the right mood after last weeks loss, but I think I am at peace with what had to happen, so I'll be voting sometime today.

I do know already that both John Prine's "Dear Abby" and Frank Zappa's "Dancing Fool" are both awesome picks, but I am already very familiar with them both since both artists are among my favorite artists, so unfortunately, they are out of the running.

Edited by TCat - April 14 2021 at 09:44

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 10:35
Icarium nominates Jethro Tull - Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow, ( Jack Frost being my favoirite trixter/impish character from mythology/urban legends)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 10:45
I will double check on if I can add it in, I'm sorry that voting has begun, so not sure what to do in this case.  
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:02
So, as it turns out, I was familiar with more of these than I originally realized.  Besides the ones I mentioned earlier (John Prine and Zappa), I already knew the Nanowar of Steel, Todd Snider, Dennis Leary, and They Might Be Giants tracks, but these would have all scored high on my list if I wasn't already familiar with them.  So, with that, here are the top 3 of the ones that are remaining.

1. Cathy Berberian “Ticket To Ride” - This is utterly hilarious.  Having a classical background makes it resonate with me quite a lot, and makes it even funnier.  Perfect!

2.  Deichkind, "Richtig gutes Zeug" - Even in another language (thank goodness for the English sub-titles), this one strangely strikes home for me.  Very funny.

3.  Gillan "No Laughing in Heaven" - I love the way he pokes fun at his own style.  I had never heard this one even if he is one of my favorite hard rock vocalists.  

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 17:19

Frank Zappa "Dancing Fool" (JD). I know this one by heart - which normally means that it is not a contender for my votes. But since I am not really in sync with most of the fun songs posted in this poll, I might make an exception here. This is of course a musically great song with a lot of interesting elements. My favourite part probably being the "I may be totally wrong, but I'm a..." breaks which are quite funny too. The song is not necessarily ha-ha funny, but it is clearly not meant to be so either. It is more about irony, and it appeals much better to me.

They Might Be Giants “Fingertips” (Crane). It's basically a collage of what sounds like totally unrelated songs, as someone skipping through songs at a party. Too overstated to be funny to me.

I'm afraid my sense of humour is not really in sync with the trends here. I also believe I was the only one to post a track where the fun is entirely in the music. For most other entries, it is mostly about lyrics.

Btw, the theme reminded me of this old recording which my parents had on vinyl:

Edited by The Anders - April 14 2021 at 17:28
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 18:26
My votes went to:
1. Todd Snider "Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues"
2. Cathy Berberian “Ticket To Ride”
3. King Missile “Eating People”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 18:37
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Frank Zappa "Dancing Fool" (JD). I know this one by heart - which normally means that it is not a contender for my votes. But since I am not really in sync with most of the fun songs posted in this poll, I might make an exception here. This is of course a musically great song with a lot of interesting elements. My favourite part probably being the "I may be totally wrong, but I'm a..." breaks which are quite funny too. The song is not necessarily ha-ha funny, but it is clearly not meant to be so either. It is more about irony, and it appeals much better to me.

They Might Be Giants “Fingertips” (Crane). It's basically a collage of what sounds like totally unrelated songs, as someone skipping through songs at a party. Too overstated to be funny to me.

I'm afraid my sense of humour is not really in sync with the trends here. I also believe I was the only one to post a track where the fun is entirely in the music. For most other entries, it is mostly about lyrics.

Btw, the theme reminded me of this old recording which my parents had on vinyl:

Video Removed for Space
  I have to admit to having a penchant for clever/sarcastic/ironic words/twists on familiar phrases  and understand how the translation can get lost language, to language.  Pure music does transcend language in such a way, one of the reasons your final entry choice almost made it into the top 3 for me, it was music and humour, not needing words for it's point to get across.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 10:48
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Icarium nominates Jethro Tull - Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow, ( Jack Frost being my favoirite trixter/impish character from mythology/urban legends)

I brought this to the poll team and found some agreement that it wouldn't be fair to enter your choice after the polls are officially open.  Most of the participants have already voted at this point.  I'm sorry this happened this time and hope that won't deter you from entering future polls of this type.  
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 17:00
My votes:
Giorgio Gaber "The Corrupt Man" (Lorenzo)
Cathy Berberian “Ticket To Ride” (Tancos)
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 17:57
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

My votes:
Giorgio Gaber "The Corrupt Man" (Lorenzo)
Cathy Berberian “Ticket To Ride” (Tancos)

In this poll I too, like most of the group, have focused on the more comic aspect of lyrics or videos, so I am lucky to have found a music connoisseur who has a refined humor like yours, who knows how to capture the humor of social satire, which has an underlying aftertaste of sadness.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - April 16 2021 at 14:53
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 10:48
I will this time allow myself to vote for some I already know, as these two I find both most funny and musically most convincing: They Might Be Giants (great band for this theme, they have quite a number of other things that would fit), and the hilarious version of Ticket To Ride. I'll also vote for Gillan for the great great vocals and the obvious big fun they had playing this (no, I didn't know that one). There are lots of things that have their comical effect mainly through the lyrics and I can say well done, but no vote from me. It's still about the music for me. Kudos to The Anders for nominating an instrumental. I could've voted for it but this kind of humour for me is just a little bit too familiar, probably not for most others.  

I'm very happy about Deichkind's three votes by the way. I expected maybe one as a maximum (thius kind oif music seemed to be quite alien to what people tend to love here), despite the fact that I think this is seriously good stuff (besides being fun of course).

Edited by Lewian - April 17 2021 at 10:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567