Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help, I'm Stuck on Kobaia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 02:48
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I go through heavy bursts of zeuhl attacks but during recent years I’ve come to crave the more “chill” albums the genre has to offer. That certainly doesn’t mean I don’t frolick in the more zany quarters from time to time though.
But yeah stuff like Setna’s Guérison and Laurent Thibault’s Mais On Ne Peut... has been getting a lot of playtime as well as Fractale’s Live Suranné.

Nice to see that you like Fractale, by my pen friend Julian Julien. As you mentioned Setna, let me add their spin-off  Xing Sa. One of my favorite zeuhl albums.  

Hi Luca
I wrote with Julian back when he released the live Fractale album..which also serves as his debut I believe. I really dig that album..more than what came after. Rather reminds me of the vibe I get from the Finnish big-band Astro Can Caravan: big jazzy gestures via horns and so forth but mixed with a rhythmic driving force often found in Zeuhl-like bands.
I also really enjoy the Xing Sa album. Nice pick.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 06:57
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am stuck on Planet Kobaia, but I am trying to get off.  LOL  The Magma albums have come up on my alphabetical rotation, but they are a hard listen for me.  Would be much better as instrumentals in my opinion?  Still find the made-up language cheesy and mostly unlistenable. 

I'm the opposite: the ecstatic near-operatic vocals are what suck me in; with each album I listen to I feel as if I've been through a religious experience--like a Roman Catholic high mass or a Southern Baptist service or a whirling dervish or a performance of Beethoven's 9th. I guess it helps that I don't "hear" words, just sound--every foreign language is just another way of expressing one's self . . . here, in song, musically?Confused

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12