Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Prog Artists Recommendations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 23:45
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Sarah Brightman - the best Symphonic Metal singer there's never been. Wink

Check out the awesome power of this song....

Gothica

Not to mention that, as if I remember correctly, she was the original singer of Phantom of the Opera, which, as I understand it, has become some sort of anthem for symphonic metal... I even heard a clip of Sarah Brightman herself singing it with those metal arrangements.

Miss Brightman is an incredibly versatile singer with an astonishing voice. I've always felt she could have done more rock style stuff instead of all that ALW cr@p.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 06:52
not really prog, though her first album has the occasional prog leaning: Nina Hagen. amazing voice:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 08:49
I've never quite got into Nina Hagen, so maybe it's time for a re-appraisal, once I've got through my current listening list... which could take some time!

[I do like some Nico though, such as her album 'Chelsea Girl' and the stuff she did with the Velvets of course.]

Edited by Progishness - April 21 2021 at 08:51

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 09:25
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Janita Haan

Hi,

Such an awesome album, and I was able to catch their show at the Whiskey in Hollywood, with the sad fact that the other act was Iggy and the Stooges and many in the audience did the boo thing for BR ... but Janita really made Iggy look like an idiot on stage, and pulled off a massive show. The band played magnificently.

That album, is now on its 2nd or 3rd generation for me, since it was played so much to the point of having to get another album ... and I have always appreciated Janita and talked massively nice about her and the show ... though sadly, the band was not able to break out of its small roots, or get the assist that it needed to get better and stronger. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 09:30

1. Linda Spa - saxophonist and keyboard player with Tangerine Dream

Hi,

I wish that she would finally come out of her cocoon and bring along some music. Some 20+ years with TD, only to be unceremoniously dumped ... and I really think that the TD music has suffered and become more "machine like" than it was before with its more "symphonic" feel that the two guys can not find ... they don't understand the influence of visuals and images ... they think that the machine elasticity is enough to make TD music, and it isn't.

Linda Spa, to my knowledge is likely retired. She has not done anything that I am aware of, and a few years back I wrote her a poem to try and inspire her and she replied very nicely and was appreciative, but I am not sure that she has been able to get past the TD train wreck that dumped the 2 women that had helped the shows get better, stronger and more symphonic ... for that matter Iris Camaa also deserves a mention ... but she won't since her own thing is not exactly "progressive" and she does not seem to drum as much on stage as she did with TD.

Edited by moshkito - April 21 2021 at 09:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 09:49
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Such an awesome album, and I was able to catch their show at the Whiskey in Hollywood, with the sad fact that the other act was Iggy and the Stooges and many in the audience did the boo thing for BR

Whoa!! Clap

... but Janita really made Iggy look like an idiot on stage, and pulled off a massive show. The band played magnificently.

Awesome! I've never understood the hoopla about Iggy, with or without the Stooges.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 10:18

1. Linda Spa - saxophonist and keyboard player with Tangerine Dream

I wish that she would finally come out of her cocoon and bring along some music. Some 20+ years with TD, only to be unceremoniously dumped ... and I really think that the TD music has suffered and become more "machine like" than it was before with its more "symphonic" feel that the two guys can not find ... they don't understand the influence of visuals and images ... they think that the machine elasticity is enough to make TD music, and it isn't.

I don't think Linda was dumped. I think she was simply done after Edgar left this mortal coil. Linda also wasn't a member of the band from 1997-2004.

TD was already gravitating back toward their classic sound while Edgar was still alive. There really wasn't room for the "contempo" approach Edgar let Jerome steer the band toward in the early '90s. Linda's contributions to 220 Volt and Turn of the Tides were akin to a hitchhiker, tacked on, i.e. they didn't integrate that well. I'd never imagined TD with sax before "Long Island Sunset" on Lily on the Beach, and the title track of Melrose (performed in both instances by Hubert Waldner), and initially, I wasn't keen on it. 

Linda Spa, to my knowledge is likely retired. She has not done anything that I am aware of, and a few years back I wrote her a poem to try and inspire her and she replied very nicely and was appreciative, but I am not sure that she has been able to get past the TD train wreck that dumped the 2 women that had helped the shows get better, stronger and more symphonic ... for that matter Iris Camaa also deserves a mention ... but she won't since her own thing is not exactly "progressive" and she does not seem to drum as much on stage as she did with TD.

Again, the return to electronics was preplanned and started when Thorsten joined. I believe that's why Jerome left: His influence was waning and there really wasn't much more they could do with the approach he favored. (See also: The Dream Mixes I-V.) IMHO, the only really successful album from that period, musically, was Tyranny of Beauty.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 10:35

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Janita Haan

Hi,

Such an awesome album, and I was able to catch their show at the Whiskey in Hollywood, with the sad fact that the other act was Iggy and the Stooges and many in the audience did the boo thing for BR ... but Janita really made Iggy look like an idiot on stage, and pulled off a massive show. The band played magnificently.

That album, is now on its 2nd or 3rd generation for me, since it was played so much to the point of having to get another album ... and I have always appreciated Janita and talked massively nice about her and the show ... though sadly, the band was not able to break out of its small roots, or get the assist that it needed to get better and stronger. 

An amazing band, and one of the first gigs I went to at uni back in 1974.  Jenny Haan was a stunning performer.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 10:56
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

There really wasn't room for the "contempo" approach Edgar let Jerome steer the band toward in the early '90s. Linda's contributions to 220 Volt and Turn of the Tides were akin to a hitchhiker, tacked on, i.e. they didn't integrate that well. I'd never imagined TD with sax before "Long Island Sunset" on Lily on the Beach, and the title track of Melrose (performed in both instances by Hubert Waldner), and initially, I wasn't keen on it. 
Hi,

I'm not sure that Jerome was that much of an issue ... he came up in a different era and his tastes in music differed from his dad's ... we all have that in common! But I think that EF wanted to return to the more symphonic sound, and Jerome was not into that as much, I don't think.

Linda is a different story ... she is classically trained and raised and I think that she helped EF bring about a sound that was closer to what he might have envisioned ... and I think that it shows on the LIVE albums, although it is really difficult for any of us to tell which moments she is playing or just augmenting. 

I do not think that her playing the saxophone is an issue at all ... it added another feel to the music that fit the instrumental and classical style really well ... and I am not sure that Hoshiko is as important, although she seems to be playing the "classical" (at least strings related) parts of all the music to allow the others to concentrate on something else ... she is also classically trained, and plays like it. Linda had a different touch that was not as clearly a classic touch, and she seemed to have played in the background except when it was time to play the flute or the saxophone, which I think she did admirably, specially considering the difficult music and with someone like EF that she shared many duets with ... when you know that he is going to do something different just for the fun of it. She adjusted well. 

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Again, the return to electronics was preplanned and started when Thorsten joined. I believe that's why Jerome left: His influence was waning and there really wasn't much more they could do with the approach he favored. 

Agreed. Although in my book, Jerome lost an opportunity to learn a lot more and went his own way as a teenager would, so to speak. His music on his own, just is not as exciting and meaningful as he thinks it is, and I'm not sure he realizes why. But, I think that him wanting his own freedom is more important and that he might, YET, find his tune and show us that he had it from the start ... and we didn't see it coming.

Thorsten is quite capable ... the recent 40 minute piece with Marcus Reuter is outstanding, and reminds me of early days Ash Ra Tempel ... and it was a lovely listen ... and that is not to say that TQ can not bring about a more contemporary and soundtrack sounding style of music, instead of machine like sounding like they have done in the past few years ... it also shows that there is not enough "interest" in the new material as much as anything else, otherwise there would be a demand for more ... and this has not been the case ... the older stuff is still selling better!

But TD, as it is presently seen, is not capable of "improvisation" and on occasion find things that they did not realize how good they were and felt when it happened ... and in many ways, I really think that this is more likely to happen with women, than without them ... there is a difference in the "sight" between the two that is important ... for example, it is thought that women's intuition and vision is more physically related whereas the men's intuition is more developed in their minds, not bodies!

As such the more visceral, and stronger the woman vision, the more progressive that person is ... at the very least extremely different!

BTW ... I was thinking that LATOYA deserves a mention ... with her history ... as probably does SIOUXIE ... but I wonder if we think these more pop music oriented than otherwise ... and Mrs. RF is not exactly one for the top of the pops at all ... she had acting abilities that she has always used in her own work, and still does when having fun with Mr. RF on their fun videos!

Edited by moshkito - April 21 2021 at 10:56
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:05
Quick plug for IZZ singer Laura Meade, I highly recommend her first album Remedium and she has a new one out soon - https://www.loudersound.com/news/laura-meade-releases-captivating-video-for-burned-at-the-stake?fbclid=IwAR104dH0iji29oGM6nKLxBMhHN6UbRYSe6ASI7ySqRh-HGWWVU2yrI2HUx0
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:54
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I've never quite got into Nina Hagen, so maybe it's time for a re-appraisal, once I've got through my current listening list... which could take some time!

[I do like some Nico though, such as her album 'Chelsea Girl' and the stuff she did with the Velvets of course.]

Nina had training as an opera singer and was considered a child prodigy in this regard; you can clearly hear this in the track that Jean chose (although there are definitely also rock elements in her singing here).

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:55

Nina had training as an opera singer and was considered a child prodigy in this regard; you can clearly hear this in the track that Jean chose.There are definitely rock elements in her singing here too though.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 21 2021 at 11:56

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:55
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Nina had training as an opera singer and was considered a child prodigy in this regard; you can clearly hear this in the track that Jean chose (although there are definitely also rock elements in her singing here).

Which albums would you recommend I start with?

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:59
Start with her first album, where the track Jean chose was from. Here another track from that album that is quite proggish:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 12:11
Yep, sounds logical to me, start at the beginning!

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 12:20
Linda Spa - It's Not Over Now

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 12:21
I remember listening to NunSexMonkRock a lot around the same time I was really into Klaus Nomi.

And this one from Ekstasy.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 12:29
Another singer I like very much is Inga Rumpf of Frumpy and Atlantis; Frumpy are in the archive, Atlantis not (rightly so, though there are some prog leanings on their first two albums; and their live album from 1975, though not prog, is one of the best live albums ever).

The second album of Frumpy is among my favourite albums. Inga's voice is often mistaken as the voice of a man, by the way. Here my favourite track from that great album:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 12:45

Linda Spa - It's Not Over Now

I kept wondering if the vocal were ever going to start.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 13:45
It's that time again. Arsnova (how Keiko Kumagai prefers it to be spelled).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>