Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jethro tull is the most anti-religous, religous
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jethro tull is the most anti-religous, religous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcIsCringe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro tull is the most anti-religous, religous
    Posted: April 15 2021 at 12:47
Jethro tull's album, aqualung is in my opinoin very religious, but also very critical of the church. For example, cross eyed mary is about an under age prostitute but is about forgiveness. My god is about having faith despite the church. Any thoughts?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 12:50
Originally posted by MarcIsCringe MarcIsCringe wrote:

Jethro tull's album, aqualung is in my opinoin very religious, but also very critical of the church. For example, cross eyed mary is about an under age prostitute but is about forgiveness. My god is about having faith despite the church. Any thoughts?

It is a commentary on religion in the main, although as Anderson has pointed out ad infinitum, not a concept album about religion. The commentary therein is extremely disparaging.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 13:30
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It is a commentary on religion in the main, although as Anderson has pointed out ad infinitum, not a concept album about religion. The commentary therein is extremely disparaging.

It is certainly anti-religious, particularly anti-institutional religion, but it is not anti-god. In fact, Ian offers sympathy to god for the way hypocritical man has missed the point and co-opted the message. The dichotomy between man-made religion and god can be found in two adjoining stanzas of "My God"...

So lean upon Him gently
And don't call on Him to save
You from your social graces
And the sins you used to waive
The bloody Church of England
In chains of history
Requests your earthly presence
At the vicarage for tea
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 13:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It is certainly anti-religious, particularly anti-institutional religion, but it is not anti-god. In fact, Ian offers sympathy to god for the way hypocritical man has missed the point and co-opted the message. The dichotomy between man-made religion and god can be found in two adjoining stanzas of "My God"...

So lean upon Him gently
In chains of history
At the vicarage for tea

Absolutely right, Greg. It was organised religion I was referring to, and perhaps should have made that clearer.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 14:01

So lean upon Him gently
In chains of history
At the vicarage for tea

Absolutely right, Greg. It was organised religion I was referring to, and perhaps should have made that clearer.

No problem, Steve. I got you. I was more replying to the OP. Ian was certainly not being "religious" in his attack on the Church, and although he wasn't being anti-god, one should never mistake him as being a religious bloke. He always sounded Deistic in his interviews, good with the general concept of god but not with a specific one. Hence, the line from A Passion Play...

A delicate hush, The gods floating by
Wishing us well, Pie in the sky

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 15 2021 at 14:02
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 14:23

Doesn't bother me what artists sing about. On the flip side, Neal Morse has been praising the imaginary one for 20 years.  
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 15:01
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

On the flip side, Neal Morse has been praising the imaginary one for 20 years.  

Always thought that was the flop side... Ermm

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 16:53
Ian did a nice Aqualung 50th Anniversary recap of the album on March 19th on YT. He gives background on each song as well the whole album is played. Not much if I recall is new info on the songs, but for those wanting a good understanding of this brilliant album this is a good hour+ watch. 

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 19:18
As Ian Anderson many times said, the lyrics reflect his opinions on organized religion, and nothing more. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 01:40
Dare I say that good'ol Rog (Waters) surpasses easily the Mad Fultist as the best religious ennemy??

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

On the flip side, Neal Morse has been praising the imaginary one for 20 years.  

Always thought that was the flop side... Ermm

Good one LOL

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 01:48
The Tull were very cynical about everything.

See TAAB.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 04:19

Edited by dr prog - April 20 2021 at 14:53
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 04:28
My A remix will be in the mail any day

Edited by dr prog - April 20 2021 at 14:54
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 17:47
in a prog context, "organized" religion means the priests play keyboards??Clown
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 18:53
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Deep Purple actually has the Lord playing keyboards.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 20:52

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Deep Purple actually has the Lord playing keyboards.
That was very "Airey" of you Embarrassed having toured with Tull in 1987.

Edited by tszirmay - April 21 2021 at 20:54
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 13:27
I think any intelligent religious person should take it upon themselves to understand the logic (or potentially lack thereof) behind the choices and organization and rules and such of whatever religion they follow. It's no good following things blindly, as that gives the people in charge the power to either make stuff up that doesn't make any sense, or to be negligent and allow things to slip through the cracks because no one is watching them. The Pope may be infallible from a specific point of view, but that doesn't mean in reality no pope has ever made mistakes, or abused their power, etc. The same goes for any religious leader. The thing that makes organized religion bad is the same thing which makes politics bad, the corruption of power and the negligence of those who wield it. So in a sense you could say Anderson's lyrics on My God and Wind Up are in fact very religious, in that they openly criticize things about the organization and rules and ideology of a religion on grounds of being nonsensical or worse. An anti-religious person might not care to even make an argument against religion, having sworn it off altogether. Anderson is trying, perhaps in vain and perhaps from a biased perspective, to have a conversation about the way things aught to work: "I don't believe you... He's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays." That's not a denial of religion, that's a disagreement with its principles, and disagreements and healthy and can lead to change in a positive direction. So bravo Ian!
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 14:11
Critique, analysis, discussion...all well and good. But once you go "full Neal Morse", I'm out.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 18:56
Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

Critique, analysis, discussion...all well and good. But once you go "full Neal Morse", I'm out.

I haven't heard much Neal Morse at all. I take it the general consensus is he's too preachy?
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 19:37
Amon Düül II are much more anti-religious. or maybe I should call it "blasphemous". "Dem Guten, Schönen, Wahren" from their first album "Phallus Dei" is by far the most blasphemous song I have ever heard

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>