17 [28.81%]
3 [5.08%]
3 [5.08%]
2 [3.39%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite track from Dark Side of the Moon
    Posted: April 19 2021 at 23:08
Which track off Pink Floyd's eighth album is your favourite?

Please vote and comment.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 00:39
Us and Them, very big, grand chorus and bridge. Inspiring lyrics with clever use of opposites. A song that makes your hairsbon your arm stand on a good day.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 00:51
Us and Them, followed by Time.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 01:08
Brain Damage/Eclipse which shouldn’t be separated, and rarely (if ever) have been when performed live. Jerry Cantrell often performed Brain Damage/Eclipse live, and I always wished he’d released a studio version. I guess he probably didn’t due to all the red tape and green notes it takes to record a cover version of a Floyd song.

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 02:00
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Brain Damage/Eclipse which shouldn’t be separated

I certainly agree there, and maybe Speak to Me / Breathe can't really be separated either. Anyway Brain damage is in my all time Floydian top 5 favourite songs of all time.  But then again the whole album is pure quality, and I've requested that 'Great Gig' be played for the committal at my funeral.

Edited by Progishness - April 20 2021 at 02:01

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 02:45
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Brain Damage/Eclipse which shouldn’t be separated

I certainly agree there, and maybe Speak to Me / Breathe can't really be separated either. Anyway Brain damage is in my all time Floydian top 5 favourite songs of all time.  But then again the whole album is pure quality, and I've requested that 'Great Gig' be played for the committal at my funeral.
Yes, I’d agree about Speak to Me/Breathe. The album is pure quality, but it’s one that (apart from Brain Damage/Eclipse) has never really resonated with me - although I do think it becomes more vibrant and impressive when performed live. The Live at Wembley performance of the album is infinitely more interesting and enjoyable to me than the studio album. But overall, while I can perfectly understand why so many people like it, and thus would never claim it is overrated, DSotM just doesn’t do it for me on a personal level. I don’t think it would make my top five Floyd albums, and possibly not even my top ten. 🤔

But there’s something about Brain Damage/Eclipse that elevates it (for me) above the entire remainder of the album.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 03:00
No vote
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 04:16
Time
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Morelia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 05:21
The Brain Damage/Eclipse suite is chillingly grand and beautiful. I voted for Eclipse as this is where I consider the climax of the album to be.
As much as I agree the two tracks shouldn't be separated, I also think a good part of their power resides in their position in the album, which as a whole shouldn't be separated either. Rarely have I seen such a musically consistent piece of work, from beginning to end.

I got the chance to see the Thierry Balasse show twice, where his band and him play the whole album + a couple of other tracks, using the old recording equipment, and recreating live the recording conditions of the early 70's (cutting magnetic tapes, etc.). Very instructive evening, as he took the time to answer audience's questions after the show. TDSOTM really was cutting edge, and brought a lot to the world of music.

Edited by Morelia - April 20 2021 at 05:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 05:31
For me the whole album is a two-part song cycle. 

Side one takes us through the life cycle:
Speak to Me - Birth
Breathe - the essential process of life
On the Run - the trials of life
Time - ageing and the passing of the years
Great Gig - death and the afterlife

Whereas side two focuses on stuff that drives us mad.
Money - consumerism
Us and Them - inequalities
Any Colour You Like - choices
Brain Damage - the descent into madness itself
Eclipse - the coda / summary

That is just my view - others may see it as a single song cycle of 10 parts.

Edited by Progishness - April 20 2021 at 10:22

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 05:52
The hits off this album has been played to death - even over Danish radios...but it’s ok. Ever since I first heard this album some 25 years ago my favourite has always been Any Colour You Like. Such a gorgeous piece of music..and I never seem to tire of it. Still sounds fresh.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 06:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The hits off this album has been played to death - even over Danish radios...but it’s ok. Ever since I first heard this album some 25 years ago my favourite has always been Any Colour You Like. Such a gorgeous piece of music..and I never seem to tire of it. Still sounds fresh.

Yes it's one piece that sadly gets overlooked (or even dismissed as 'filler', which it isn't), but as you say a beautiful instrumental.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 06:08
Goosebumps City
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 06:17
Yeah, really can't decide . .. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 07:25
I've always enjoyed this album as a whole, and not for the individual songs, so it's hard for me to pick one over the other.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 07:27
Time, Great Gig, then Us and Them.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 07:44
A difficult poll, because the songs all blend into each other so well, making the album almost like a single, segmented track... But Us and Them gets my vote today: Floyd at their introspective best.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 08:22
Time, with Money a close second.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 08:36
Us and them.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 13:54
BD
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>