Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random Shuffle 4/29/2021 (4th Spring Mix)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What's your preference from this Spring Mix?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [31.58%]
4 [21.05%]
4 [21.05%]
4 [21.05%]
1 [5.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random Shuffle 4/29/2021 (4th Spring Mix)
    Posted: April 29 2021 at 11:55
Today's Random list-toppers from thousands shuffled.
I think most here are well-know, except maybe Larry Unger: a prominent folk guitarist who travels around and plays gigs and contra dances (mostly in North America I think).

Edited by zwordser - April 29 2021 at 11:57
Z
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 12:11
Focus, pretty easily. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 12:21
Jeff Beck!!!

The song title THX 138, was, by the way, the license plate number of Paul Le Mat's hot-rod in the film American Graffiti...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 12:39
Notorious, slightly ahead of Beck and Focus. The fiddler is Eden MacAdam-Somer. I considered nominating another Notorious recording in one of the recent collaborative polls.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 12:45
First vote for the voice of Greg Lake (otherwise Cinema would have been my choice)

Edited by octopus-4 - April 29 2021 at 12:46
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 13:04
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Jeff Beck!!!

The song title THX 138, was, by the way, the license plate number of Paul Le Mat's hot-rod in the film American Graffiti...

Which, of course, was directed by George Lucas, whose directorial debut was the dystopian SF classic THX 1138.

And...Jeff Beck!!!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 13:19
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Jeff Beck!!!

Which, of course, was directed by George Lucas, whose directorial debut was the dystopian SF classic THX 1138.

And...Jeff Beck!!!

It was also the number of a holding cell in a certain science fiction space opera. Voted for El Becko, btw.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 14:40
I dig Cinema . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 14:58
Focus
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 18:19
Originally posted by Tancos Tancos wrote:

Notorious, slightly ahead of Beck and Focus. The fiddler is Eden MacAdam-Somer. I considered nominating another Notorious recording in one of the recent collaborative polls.

Wow, glad you gave it a vote--wasn't expecting much on a Prog site, but, a great choice! 

I'm not super familiar with Notorious, but I had the opportunity to conduct an on-air interview with Larry Unger and fiddler Karina Wilson, in Moab, UT when they visited town to play an outdoor concert (illegally, in a beautiful red-rock canyon). They also sat in with our local band for a contra dance.  They were miles ahead musically from most us amateur musicians (I was on keyboard and had trouble keeping up) but it was a good experience. 

Notorious may be his main band, but Larry plays with a lot of groups, and has written folk tunes in the thousands!

Edited by zwordser - April 29 2021 at 18:28
Z
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 23:30
Cinema is a great little track segue I always enjoyed.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 00:39
Cinema by Yes
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 02:39

Jeff Beck!!!

And...Jeff Beck!!!

AND because of that, 1138 shows up everywhere in Lucas projects. It's somewhere in every one of the original six Star Wars movies, and it shows up occasionally in The Clone Wars show as well.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 03:40
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Jeff Beck!!!

And...Jeff Beck!!!

AND because of that, 1138 shows up everywhere in Lucas projects. It's somewhere in every one of the original six Star Wars movies, and it shows up occasionally in The Clone Wars show as well.
I think it's a John Brunner's novel
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 11:47
This was one of the harder lists for me to decide from.  But finally chose Cinema because of the memories: it was one of my favorite tracks (and albums) as a teenager, probably my favorite track on the album, in spite of its shortness.  Sometimes I'd play it over and over again!

Edited by zwordser - April 30 2021 at 11:48
Z
 Post Reply Post Reply