Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

80s King Crimson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJMarten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80s King Crimson
    Posted: April 29 2021 at 18:23
I love the King Crimson catalogue, however, it took me a while to get to their 80's albums (Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair). They failed to impress me initially and I worked my way around this decade. Recently though, I gave these albums a more thorough listen and have gained a new appreciation for them. They are truly unique (just like all of King Crimson's albums really) and fun to listen to. Some of my favorite songs are Frame by Frame, Absent Lovers, and Dig Me. What are your thoughts on these albums and what are your favorite songs?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 18:57
Excellent albums for an 80's prog release period.
I don't really have a favourite as I view them as a collective work of sorts.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 19:07
I haven't heard those albums in a long time. I'll need to revisit again. I think 3OAPP is very underrated. I hated it for the longest time before it finally clicked with me.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 19:25
Belew brought new life and ideas to the table. "Discipline" is a classic.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 19:33
Sometimes, I have difficulty with Belew's vocals.  That said, I like all three.  Discipline is my favorite followed by Three of a Perfect Pair, then Beat.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 30 2021 at 11:47
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 20:16
Three great albums. I have always considered Discipline the best, but two of my favorite KC songs are on Beat - Neil and Jack and Me, and Sartori in Tangier. 3oaPP has Sleepless, of course.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 21:07
I think these albums sooner or later drag you to their own world, specially the first two. Matte Kudasai is the first song in the batch that started to feel like a classic to me.
Little_Julian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Or Svetonio

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little_Julian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 22:56
Imo, King Crimson’s “new wave” stuff from the 80s sounds quite dated now. To these ears, KC' Sinfield-era is that period from which their music is really beautiful, surreal, many-headed prog-rock puzzle that is still uncanny and timeless.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 23:23
I repeat myself when under stress I repeat myself when under stress I repeat myself when under stress I repeat...

Belew rules. I love 80's KC. Discipline is the best of the three (of a perfect pair).

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 00:41
They are awesome listens when under stress
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 01:47
Probably my least favourite era of the band, but good albums nonetheless.

I don't think I have an overall favourite album from this era. There's some good tracks on each album.

Frame by Frame
Matte Kudasai
Neal & Jack and me
Sartori in Tangier
Heartbeat
Three of a perfect pair.

There are probably new wave bands, who clearly influenced Fripp at this time, some of who I prefer to KC in the 80's, notably XTC.

Edited by Blacksword - April 30 2021 at 05:48
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 01:52
I don't like them but respect that the band was trying a different direction.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 02:25
I WISH YOU WERE HERE TO SEE IT!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 04:38
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Belew brought new life and ideas to the table. "Discipline" is a classic.

The only one I still retain nowadays (the 40th anniv).
I find Beat fairly weak (it's a bit of a replay of Discipline with much lesser compositions and no surprise) and I actually prefer Perfect Pair to it.

Yessssss, Belew certainly added that Talking Heads edge to Crimson (he never recorded with TTH, but toured with them in the extended line-up that finally gave the Stop making Sense movie), but I still shuned them (Crimson) live back then - not that I actually saw TTH either - other than through the Jonathan Demme movie.

The only thing Beat has really going for itself compared to the other two is that they theme up of Beat Poets (Sartori, Heartbeat, Neal Jack & Me, etc...)

please note the colours +/- match the early albums (not sure it was meant that way, but it is coincidental)
Red majority for Discipline & Court
Blue for Beat and Poseidon
Yellow for Pair and Lizard.

TBH, all I need from that line-up would be the Absent Lover live album (check) or the Neal, Jack & Me DVD (still looking) from that line-up .

Edited by Sean Trane - April 30 2021 at 10:29
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 05:06
I'm a big fan of that period. This was at the time when I properly got into music. I loved prog as far as I knew it but also quite a bit of new wave/post punk. I only had and knew Court of the Crimson King when I saw them live in 1982, and the totally blew me away. One of these moments when I heard music that was not only good but done in a way that I couldn't have imagined to be possible. The perfect synthesis of the sophistication of prog and the leaner new wave approach, with super original compositions, and top notch musicians. So much sharper than Court and the old stuff (which of course has its own qualities).

I list Discipline among the best five albums of all time up to these days and would still give five stars to all three. Even the more straight and commercial stuff (Heartbeat, Sleepless) appeals to me. However recently I would list the instrumentals  among my top favourites: The Sheltering Sky, Sartori in Tangier, Industry. Rarely mentioned but true monster tracks and less "KC by numbers" than some of the LTIA re-iterations (not that I don't like them).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 06:54
my least favorite KC period, I rarely listen to these three albums. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 07:00
my favorite track from these three albums is "Neurotica", followed by "Indiscipline"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 07:10
King Crimson has had many faces during their career, and they are all quite excellent, if you listen carefully and pay attention to the complexity of their compositions.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gully Foyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 07:39
I think 80's KC is pretty darn extraordinary - my favorite period of the band.  The interlocking guitar madness is so delicious.  Dig Me, Neurotica, Sartori in Tangier, Sleepless, Discipline, Indiscipline, Threee of a Perfect Pair, THE SHELTERING SKY, just so many amazing moments.  When i first encountered this music it was so radically different from anything i had heard that I was confused - i remember asking the older brother of a friend of mine who played it for us, what kind of music is this?  He said I don't know.  I still feel that way about these songs - but i love them.  I fairly quickly collected the catalogue, and started seeing them live during the double trio era, but these albums (and the Absent Lovers live album) are the pinnacle. Not knocking other eras -  SABB, LTIA, Red are my second favorite set (LTIA and Red are like messages from a parallel reality), but there is a lot more 'filler' in the Court-Lizard era and Double Duo onwards era in my humble and perhaps erroneous opinion
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 07:56
Wonderful stuff, Discipline is one of their best albums overall, really interesting stuff & Belew was an excellent add to the band. I find the other 2 a bit weaker.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>