Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not enough Pink Floyd threads? Here's another!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 03:42
Animals has always made me think of Animal Farm, and the 1984 film with John hurt could seriously work well with Pink Floyd music. The Wall of course is also dystopian.

As for Steve's mention of 2001: A Space Odyssey with Pink Floyd. That's the first film I thought of when I saw this topic.

And Cujo with "Seamus".

I'd like it with Tangerine Dream music even more (Zeit, and Pheadra could fit into it well).

I would quite like a prehistoric scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey to feature "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict", and of of course "The Embryo" for the Star Child scene.

Quite like The Embryo and Several Species... in Altered States too, or even Planet of the Apes.

The film under The Skin would work well with music like "A Saucerful of Secrets".

My choice, however, will be the Kubrick film The Shining, which would include various Pink Floyd pieces including "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" and "One of my Turns".
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 03:48
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

2001: A Space Odyssey, with Interstellar, Astronomy Domine, Set The Controls and Careful With That Axe, Eugene!
With all dialogue muted except for Hal.

Kubrick asked PF as he wanted to use Atom Heart Mother for 2001 but Waters denied.

I've read before that that was for A Clockwork Orange.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 04:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Animals has always made me think of Animal Farm, and the 1984 film with John hurt could seriously work well with Pink Floyd music. The Wall of course is also dystopian.

Animals has always made me think of Animal a farm, too, which is why it was the first thing that came to mind. I’m glad it’s not just me, because when I’ve suggested this in the past (in high school, when we were reading the story), I was shot down so fast it was unreal. 😔

In terms of improving the film, Vanilla Sky could use a lot of improvement, but a Pink Floyd soundtrack would certainly be a good starting point..... 🤔

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 04:37
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Animals has always made me think of Animal a farm, too, which is why it was the first thing that came to mind. I’m glad it’s not just me, because when I’ve suggested this in the past (in high school, when we were reading the story), I was shot down so fast it was unreal. 😔

In terms of improving the film, Vanilla Sky could use a lot of improvement, but a Pink Floyd soundtrack would certainly be a good starting point..... 🤔

Vanilla Sky would be improved by people never watching it and sticking with Abre los Ojos (Open Your Eyes) from which it was adapted imo. I saw Abre los Ojos when it came out here in the cinema. Like it much, much more than the adaptation.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 04:47

Vanilla Sky would be improved by people never watching it and sticking with Abre los Ojos (Open Your Eyes) from which it was adapted imo. I saw Abre los Ojos when it came out here in the cinema. Like it much, much more than the adaptation.

😄

That is generally the case. It’s very rare that I prefer an English language adaptation of a foreign film. A soundtrack from Pink Floyd might not make Vanilla Sky any more watchable, but it would certainly make it more listenable! 😜

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 05:07

😄

That is generally the case. It’s very rare that I prefer an English language adaptation of a foreign film. A soundtrack from Pink Floyd might not make Vanilla Sky any more watchable, but it would certainly make it more listenable! 😜

A most excellent point, and I must most assuredly concur. It would indeed.

It has one of those many quite popular or trending artists songs (including Sigur Ros which I generally like) which feels overly concocted by the suits, like target marketing. It feels more like a business decision than an artistic choice, it is a marketing ploy, which is how I felt about the whole film in a way, and I commonly feel that way about remakes.   Some other films use a variety in really interesting ways that makes the films more poignant, such as Lars von Trier's Breaking the Waves.

Another one I just thought of for Pink Floyd, which is not to say that it would improve it, I think it would do the opposite, but One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with Dark Side of the Moon.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 12:47
I believe "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" would go well as a film soundtrack. Imagine the effect it would have on a Disney animation.

Edited by The Anders - May 01 2021 at 12:51
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 12:52
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

2001: A Space Odyssey, with Interstellar, Astronomy Domine, Set The Controls and Careful With That Axe, Eugene!
With all dialogue muted except for Hal.

Kubrick asked PF as he wanted to use Atom Heart Mother for 2001 but Waters denied.

No. That would be an anachronism: 2001 is from 1968, Atom Heart Mother from 1970. If I remember well, this was discussed recently in another thread...

Furthermore, the musical choices made for 2001 are excellent, so I think Pink Floyd would not have been on level with Strauss, Ligeti...

Edited by suitkees - May 01 2021 at 12:54

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 15:19
Right. it was clockwork orange, not 2001.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/why-pink-floyd-turned-down-stanley-kubrick/?amp
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 06:36
The Wizard Of Oz with The Dark Side Of The Moon as the soundtrack. And here it is:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 06:40
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

The Wizard Of Oz with The Dark Side Of The Moon as the soundtrack. And here it is:

Oh no, not that old chestnut again, please.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 09:46
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

"Spinal Tap"
Your so wrong. The soundtrack to Spinal Tap is perfect.

You are SOOOO right.

My post was meant to be a joke, but thats okay, it is heretofore duly noted that the Spinal Tap OST is one of the greatest musical achievements in Western culture since Stravinsky's "Rites of Spring".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12