6 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [7.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random Album Clash - 1964
    Posted: May 01 2021 at 00:30
The final week of the first phase of Random Album Clash is on! And we are going back to the very first year in the bracket of 1964-2020 that is covered by the series.
Some might say I am trying to force the win on Coltrane here, with six albums by the jazz maestro, but I am trying to emphasize this impressive achievement of his, and I will top this with the first vote for 'A Love Supreme', a supreme-quality jazz recording!
Vote and comment, and above all, have fun, fellow forum users.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 00:33
Hancock Isles, because the rest is low hanging fruit IMHO and he'll need it.

Coltrane will take this w A Love Supreme simply because that's all most people have heard, if anything, from this list (Davis Funny Valentine next).

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 01:04
AHDN
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 02:23
Wrong forum.

ALS
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 02:35
A Love Supreme, for me too. Not because it's all I've heard, but because it's all I prefer!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 03:44
Surely more than seven artists released stuff in 1964? Tongue
Part of the A Love Supreme crowd by the way.
Some might say I am trying to force the win on Coltrane here, with six albums by the jazz maestro
This could well be seen as a strategy to stop him from winning, except that it doesn't seem to work.

Edited by Lewian - May 01 2021 at 03:45
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 04:03
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Wrong forum.

ALS

I did move this to General Music Discussions.

I love, love A Love Supreme, and gave it vote over the also loved by me Empyrean Isles.

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

...Some might say I am trying to force the win on Coltrane here, with six albums by the jazz maestro, but I am trying to emphasize this impressive achievement of his, and I will top this with the first vote for 'A Love Supreme', a supreme-quality jazz recording!

The lack of randomness is on display in this supposed Random Album Clash. :p

Edited by Logan - May 01 2021 at 04:08
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 04:40
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Coltrane will take this w A Love Supreme simply because that's all most people have heard, if anything, from this list (Davis Funny Valentine next).

Or, perhaps, it will win because it’s freaking amazeballs. I have heard twelve of the fifteen, and even not having heard three, I’m confident that ALS is by far and away the most impressive and enjoyable album from this selection. There’s a reason ALS might be all most people have heard. It’s a masterpiece. It’s not my favourite Coltrane album, but it’s importance, influence, and brilliance are not at all overstated/overrated.

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 06:10
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Or, perhaps, it will win because it’s freaking amazeballs. I have heard twelve of the fifteen, and even not having heard three, I’m confident that ALS is by far and away the most impressive and enjoyable album from this selection. There’s a reason ALS might be all most people have heard. It’s a masterpiece. It’s not my favourite Coltrane album, but it’s importance, influence, and brilliance are not at all overstated/overrated.

Completely agreed!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 06:24
Amazingly, I've never heard any of these albums so I can't vote. Cry
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 06:43
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

If I were to recommend any of these, it would be the one getting the most votes up to that point. Apart from that, you will absolutely be able to vote in next week's second phase of RAC, which has to do with the winners of the different years. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 06:52
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

If I were to recommend any of these, it would be the one getting the most votes up to that point. Apart from that, you will absolutely be able to vote in next week's second phase of RAC, which has to do with the winners of the different years. Wink
I have albums by every artist in your poll apart from John Coltrane, so I'll have to find time to give his winning album some Supreme Love sometime. Wink
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 23:46
^You've never heard A Hard Day's Night?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 21:40
I grew up witrh the Beatles and love Hard Days N ight....but Coltranes Sound and Love Supreme are brilliant as is Hancock's Empyrean Isles
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 03:54
A Love Supreme for Coltraine might certainly result in his first (and only) win in the RAC series!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 05:01
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^You've never heard A Hard Day's Night?

Admittedly, I've only heard the single, not the album as a whole, although I'm aiming to change that when The Beatles will be the second artist on my Psych Britannia YouTube channel. Embarrassed
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 02:44
No contest here, in what is quite likely the Random Album Clash with the least votes.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 09:26
Geez, nothing like throwing a shark into the minnow tank.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 01:48
Extremely excellent list @A Crimson Mellotron

John Coltrane - 'A Love Supreme'
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 01:57
My brother Frank was actually named after Sinatra; my late mother was a huge fan of him. So I'll give a vote to Sinatra for my Mum.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply