Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are RUSH actually Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2021 at 01:20
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Talking about American bands, the missus actually bought tickets for us for Alice Cooper coming here to Birmingham in October.
She had never seen Alice Cooper live but wants to see him.

You are in for a treat!  I saw Alice on the "School's Out" tour, July 28, 1972!   From what I've seen on YouTube, he still has the touch!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2021 at 00:14
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Guys we have to argue RUSH are prog but don't compare them to other prog bands that's not fair, lmao.

WHAT THE f**k.

Sounds like you've lost the plot, FZ. This isn't about other bands, this is about other genres.

But go ahead and compare Rush to the B-52's. Be my guest. LOL

Bro this thread is just way 2 prog 4 me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 23:36
^That is so weird... Unhappy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 21:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Alan Cartright, bassist for Procol Harum from 1972 to 1978, was bullied out of the band for playing with a pick instead of his fingers.

Lot of people have very strong views about using a pick.  A friend of mine who plays bass and likes a lot of prog/fusion can't quite bring himself to like Squire for that reason. Confused
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 18:45
Neither did Jaco, but a pick produces a cool attack and sounds good with flatwounds (and roundwounds).

Watch Bobby switch back and forth effortlessly.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 18:31
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't think it's fair to compare Rush (or Yes or Genesis or King Crimson or Kansas or Utopia or Happy the Man, etc.) to the fusion and jazz-rock groups, and vice versa.

I don't expect bands like Rush, Tangerine Dream, Weather Report, Goblin and Santana to all scratch the same itch, which is why I listen to them all. Different vibes. "Different hearts beat on different strings."

It's okay if Rush isn't for you. But to return to the thread just to say Rush "isn't good prog" is just stirring the pot, no? 

Yup, agree.......He's putting up two polar opposite genres and styles of playing against each other.

I just LOVE to get you Rush guys riled up!!  LOL  I don't think there is another band on this site that engenders such loyalty!

Nobody's riled up. I asked a question. As usual, it gets ignored. Carry on. LOL

Lee Sklar is better than all your favorite bassists. LOL

Actually, I might not dispute that.  Lee is quite amazing!  I prefer bassists who use a plectrum like Squire & Lake, so it is apples & oranges....like comparing Rush to Journey!  LOL

Stanley Clarke don't need no stinkin' plectrum. Wink

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 16:59
Alan Cartright, bassist for Procol Harum from 1972 to 1978, was bullied out of the band for playing with a pick instead of his fingers.

Edited by SteveG - May 22 2021 at 16:59
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 16:06
I forgot: Blackie Lawless plays with a pick, too. LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 15:56

Actually, I might not dispute that.  Lee is quite amazing!  I prefer bassists who use a plectrum like Squire & Lake

And Anthony Jackson, Dave Hope, Bob Daisley, Phil Lynott, Dug Pinnick, Tom Petersson, Julie Slick, Jack Bruce, Jerry Peek, Mike Rutherford, David Ellefson, Stu Hamm (both finger and pick), Bobby Vega (ditto), and your all-time favorite...Joey DeMaio!!!

so it is apples & oranges....like comparing Rush to Journey!  LOL

I defer to Logan's response. LOL
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 15:32
Talking about American bands, the missus actually bought tickets for us for Alice Cooper coming here to Birmingham in October.
She had never seen Alice Cooper live but wants to see him.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 15:20
Rush and Journey aren’t much of an apples and oranges comparison. Easy to compare. Both got started around the same time, are from North America, have made progressive rock, hard rock, AOR, pop rock, and must share some of the same audience.. Sorry if I’m missing the point.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 15:08

I don't think it's fair to compare Rush (or Yes or Genesis or King Crimson or Kansas or Utopia or Happy the Man, etc.) to the fusion and jazz-rock groups, and vice versa.

I don't expect bands like Rush, Tangerine Dream, Weather Report, Goblin and Santana to all scratch the same itch, which is why I listen to them all. Different vibes. "Different hearts beat on different strings."

It's okay if Rush isn't for you. But to return to the thread just to say Rush "isn't good prog" is just stirring the pot, no? 

Yup, agree.......He's putting up two polar opposite genres and styles of playing against each other.

I just LOVE to get you Rush guys riled up!!  LOL  I don't think there is another band on this site that engenders such loyalty!

Actually, I might not dispute that.  Lee is quite amazing!  I prefer bassists who use a plectrum like Squire & Lake, so it is apples & oranges....like comparing Rush to Journey!  LOL
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 11:21

That's all well and good, but what about Geddy's falsetto?

What about puttin' tacos on the Ritz?

Tacos are prog...

Except for tacos with tofu. Those are bad neo.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 11:21
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Does anyone care any more?

Bro....there's nothing else to talk about on PA.....LOL Porg is dead....
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 11:15
Does anyone care any more?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 11:12

Tacos are prog...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 10:54

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 10:53

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 10:51
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Guys we have to argue RUSH are prog but don't compare them to other prog bands that's not fair, lmao.

WHAT THE f**k.

Sounds like you've lost the plot, FZ. This isn't about other bands, this is about other genres.

But go ahead and compare Rush to the B-52's. Be my guest. LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 08:16
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>