Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are RUSH actually Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 09:22
Originally posted by Umeda Umeda wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Un Amico Un Amico wrote:

because to me they sound like HR musicians with a bigger bag of tricks, for the most part.

hard rock + a bigger bangs of tricks = heavy prog. 
TongueLOL
pop + a bigger bangs of tricks = crossover prog. ?

Question

sometimes LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 09:23

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Barbara Dennerlein, for example. Her album "Hot Stuff" is definitely a jazz-rock/fusion album, yet she was rejected from the archives.

Like I said previously, I'm talking exclusively about artists who have already been admitted to PA. Barbara Dennerlein has NOT been admitted to PA but if she were, her entire discography would be listed. I own several of her albums and enjoy them hugely but have to agree with the genre team decision(s) that she does not warrant inclusion on PA. Such a decision does not diminish or undermine her music in the slightest

Personally, I remain hopeful that we will admit the Uber talented Jason Donovan one day, owing to his exceptional proggy turn as that chap with the multi-coloured jacket, who also had the advantage of appearing in the world’s first concept album, namely The Six Books of Torah.

Regrettably, as you indicate, this would also lead to his stunning work with Kylie also being included, but she is nice to look at Wink 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 09:28
Yes they are. To me the albums from COS through MP are prog album and damn fine ones as well.
As someone else stated after MP their music changed but even then some prog elements remained.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 09:29

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Barbara Dennerlein, for example. Her album "Hot Stuff" is definitely a jazz-rock/fusion album, yet she was rejected from the archives.

There are many jazz-rock / fusion artists missing. The scope of the category isn't exhaustive and is reserved only for the MOST PROGRESSIVE artists that qualify therefore those who are more jazz oriented than rock are usually rejected. All of these artists are easily found on RYM or JMA so i assume the reason for this rule to prevent jazz artists who released a fusion album or two from being admitted (and some of them have well over 50 albums.) It took me many suggestions getting shot down before this made sense. Barbara is awesome whether she is here or not!

But Barbara is extremely progressive and innovative. She equipped her Hammond B-3 with MIDI-technology back when that technology just came up, she plays on pipe organs on a regular basis, she has done albums with extremely experimental tracks that border on prog electronic, she has played with orchestras and big bands. And her six albums from 1989-1999 have lots of very rocky tracks on them, even if there are also tracks on them that are clearly in the jazz-field.

This track, although having some jazz elements, nevertheless sounds more like a prog rock track that is outside of jazz-rock/fusion, even if there are some elements in it. But it is definitely a rock track:

many jazz artists blurred many distinctions but overall they are still jazz artists that experiment.

When we evaluated her i really did try to sample a wide spectrum of her works and just didn't find it to suit the intent of the jazz-fusion category for a prog rock site.

I understand there are MANY artists who probably shouldn't be here. I would like to see Santana, Chicago, Steely Dan and many others kicked off the site even though i love many albums from all three.

It's an imperfect site but almost every biographical description i've encountered lists Barbara as a jazz artist, not a jazz-fusion artist. On the other hand there are many artists that i think SHOULD be here as well but they were rejected. oh well! Unforunately just a few crossover tracks isn't enough.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 09:42

There are many jazz-rock / fusion artists missing. The scope of the category isn't exhaustive and is reserved only for the MOST PROGRESSIVE artists that qualify therefore those who are more jazz oriented than rock are usually rejected. All of these artists are easily found on RYM or JMA so i assume the reason for this rule to prevent jazz artists who released a fusion album or two from being admitted (and some of them have well over 50 albums.) It took me many suggestions getting shot down before this made sense. Barbara is awesome whether she is here or not!

But Barbara is extremely progressive and innovative. She equipped her Hammond B-3 with MIDI-technology back when that technology just came up, she plays on pipe organs on a regular basis, she has done albums with extremely experimental tracks that border on prog electronic, she has played with orchestras and big bands. And her six albums from 1989-1999 have lots of very rocky tracks on them, even if there are also tracks on them that are clearly in the jazz-field.

This track, although having some jazz elements, nevertheless sounds more like a prog rock track that is outside of jazz-rock/fusion, even if there are some elements in it. But it is definitely a rock track:

many jazz artists blurred many distinctions but overall they are still jazz artists that experiment.

When we evaluated her i really did try to sample a wide spectrum of her works and just didn't find it to suit the intent of the jazz-fusion category for a prog rock site.

I understand there are MANY artists who probably shouldn't be here. I would like to see Santana, Chicago, Steely Dan and many others kicked off the site even though i love many albums from all three.

It's an imperfect site but almost every biographical description i've encountered lists Barbara as a jazz artist, not a jazz-fusion artist. On the other hand there are many artists that i think SHOULD be here as well but they were rejected. oh well! Unforunately just a few crossover tracks isn't enough.

This is what the jazz archives say about her:

https://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/artist/barbara-dennerlein

Her discography is at the end of the article. Mark that they list four of her albums as fusion.

But this discussion doesn't belong here.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 02 2021 at 09:49

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 09:44
They're Prog . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 10:18
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Like I said previously, I'm talking exclusively about artists who have already been admitted to PA. Barbara Dennerlein has NOT been admitted to PA but if she were, her entire discography would be listed. I own several of her albums and enjoy them hugely but have to agree with the genre team decision(s) that she does not warrant inclusion on PA. Such a decision does not diminish or undermine her music in the slightest

Personally, I remain hopeful that we will admit the Uber talented Jason Donovan one day, owing to his exceptional proggy turn as that chap with the multi-coloured jacket, who also had the advantage of appearing in the world’s first concept album, namely The Six Books of Torah.

Regrettably, as you indicate, this would also lead to his stunning work with Kylie also being included, but she is nice to look at Wink 

No-one should turn their nose up at 'Proggy McNoggy'. I'm often accused of sarcasm but I have to bow to the master here. Kudos Steve LOLClap
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 10:42
"Yes and no, Bob."
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:03
Lol.... yes. Maybe not if you squint really really hard but I mean.... Xanadu, Hemispheres, La Villa Strangiato, Natural Science..... these just are not hard rock songs.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:13

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Since there's not an actual definition of prog, it's very hard to draw the line in some cases. If Rush is not Prog, then most of the prog metal is also out of the picture. The only thing I care about is the music, and I love Rush's music.

Progressive metal is more than just Rush influenced. Put any kind of experimentation or just going beyond the verse-chorus-verse pattern (for lack of a better word) on any metal subgenre, I will call that progressive.
Never meant to say that all prog metal is Rush influenced, but is the same case as you mentioned. Rush went beyond the verse-chorus-verse patter, with a lot of experimentation. In any case, most prog rock fall into this category (again, not all cases are the same), and having no real definition for prog rock, makes things a little difficult to determine.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:15

Since there's not an actual definition of prog, it's very hard to draw the line in some cases. If Rush is not Prog, then most of the prog metal is also out of the picture. The only thing I care about is the music, and I love Rush's music.

Progressive metal is more than just Rush influenced. Put any kind of experimentation or just going beyond the verse-chorus-verse pattern (for lack of a better word) on any metal subgenre, I will call that progressive.
Never meant to say that all prog metal is Rush influenced, but is the same case as you mentioned. Rush went beyond the verse-chorus-verse patter, with a lot of experimentation. In any case, most prog rock fall into this category (again, not all cases are the same), and having no real definition for prog rock, makes things a little difficult to determine.

Rush is heavy prog, I agree with how they're classified here on PA. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:45

because to me they sound like HR musicians with a bigger bag of tricks, for the most part.

Gee, that Human Resources department must've been a hell of a place to work.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:47
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Gee, that Human Resources department must've been a hell of a place to work.

LOL
and they have a bag of tricks, too. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 12:11
They were PROGRESSIVE till the late 80's (like most of the bands mentioned), creating music after that they used all the traditional PROG attributes/influences of the past including themselves.
They were Hard Rock, Heavy Prog and Prog Metal. I would say it would be super difficult for the latter two genres to not also be considered Hard Rock in general.

I am really glad to see so many younger music fans getting into progressive/prog rock, but one thing to understand is Progressive rock music started sometime in the late 60's early 70s. So all those bands if they continued into the 90s really were not doing much of anything PROGRESSIVE, but they are PROG. You can't judge these bands 25yrs into their careers.
What is very PROGRESSIVE about Rush and others is they crossed into other genres, they had to to survive the changing music scene, but still remaining true to their roots.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 12:16
I don't what other category that an album like 2112 could fit in. Prog it is.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 12:55
This is like a family discussion about politics, I love it! 

I've followed Rush since the first LP - the song "Working Man" was standard fare for cover bands in Chicago back in the day.  Nice & easy to play. 

I saw them onstage at Western Illinois University just after "Fly By Night" was released - they were very good for a three piece, but I wouldn't have categorized them as "prog" (whatever the hell "prog" means)

Clearly, they have evolved a great deal, and I need to listen to their catalog in more detail.  I would have always considered them "hard rock with prog elements" or something - however, I do respect everyone's opinion of them, I need to study them further.  

Not having Mellotrons, of course, is a major strike against the "Rush is Prog" argument! LOL
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 13:23
It's just something about myself as a music lover of 50 years or so that I would like to understand a little better...there are hundreds of bands on PA, and I am ok with all of them being here. When Rush come up, however, something makes me think "hang on a second, do they really qualify as Prog?". I enjoy listening to Moving Pictures as much as the next man, and Roll The Bones and Presto are excellent powerpop albums...so what is it about Rush that makes me squirm? The wine is ok, could be the label is wrong. I dont know. I am reading some interesting comments, though. Keep them coming, my learned friends!
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 13:37
True that!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 13:39

It's just something about myself as a music lover of 50 years or so that I would like to understand a little better...there are hundreds of bands on PA, and I am ok with all of them being here. When Rush come up, however, something makes me think "hang on a second, do they really qualify as Prog?". I enjoy listening to Moving Pictures as much as the next man, and Roll The Bones and Presto are excellent powerpop albums...so what is it about Rush that makes me squirm? The wine is ok, could be the label is wrong. I dont know. I am reading some interesting comments, though. Keep them coming, my learned friends!

Please note my point about labeling a band 25yrs into their career, in the music making business.........You need to understand a band like this from the start. If you only listen to Genesis~Invisible Touch how on earth would you considered them a Prog/Progressive band?? You would not, and that would be the mistake on your part.
You need to fully understand where a band came from.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 13:52
They released many albums that are very prog, so - Yes.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>