Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zealot Gene - New Jethro Tull album late 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 07:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's an autobuy for me but I'm not expecting miracles. Any album that's been 4 years in the making is seldom good.

Steve, I just read your review and you say almost every thing I think while listening to the album. Even in spite of the long making and the old throat, it came out pretty good, I guess.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 08:02
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

It's an autobuy for me but I'm not expecting miracles. Any album that's been 4 years in the making is seldom good.

Steve, I just read your review and you say almost every thing I think while listening to the album. Even in spite of the long making and the old throat, it came out pretty good, I guess.
Surprise, surprise! Miracles do happen. LOL  Yes, it's a better album than I could have imagined. Not a masterpiece but pretty good.

Edited by SteveG - February 01 2022 at 08:03
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 07:08
I quite like The Zealot Gene so far. Is it Ian? Yes. Is it JT? Yes. Does it matter? To me, no.

Edited by Zeph - February 02 2022 at 13:09
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 14:00
Just listened to it on you tube....granted it was just one time through but based on that I won't be spending 
$17.00 plus S&H for the single disc.  I already own over 20 Tull cds and about 20 lp's and I don't even play all of those that often,  though I do consider myself a fan.
None of the tracks stuck in my mind after it was over..no lyric or melody line made much of an impression.
There were touches of that Tull spark here and there but with all the great lp's in the past it would be very unlikely that I would  play it. IMHO...one for collectors and die hard Tull addicts.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 14:32
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Just listened to it on you tube....granted it was just one time through but based on that I won't be spending 
$17.00 plus S&H for the single disc.  I already own over 20 Tull cds and about 20 lp's and I don't even play all of those that often,  though I do consider myself a fan.
None of the tracks stuck in my mind after it was over..no lyric or melody line made much of an impression.
There were touches of that Tull spark here and there but with all the great lp's in the past it would be very unlikely that I would  play it. IMHO...one for collectors and die hard Tull addicts.
Tbh, I was not impressed on first listen but I felt something was there. On the second, I started to pick up on some of the melodies, hooks and the lyrics. On the third listen I was hooked and have been listening to it ever since. Patience is a virtue with this one, I think.

Edited by SteveG - February 02 2022 at 15:05
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2022 at 05:26

A nice review from Father Don Pardo.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2022 at 11:00

Well..I certainly agree with him on the cover art...the inside pic is better that Anderson's  face. Poor choice of cover art imho.
The music isn't bad, it's just not all that good either. The only track that I kind of enjoyed was the first.... Mrs Tibbets...it has some of that old magic...the rest didn't really engage me.

Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2022 at 11:04

Well..I certainly agree with him on the cover art...the inside pic is better that Anderson's  face. Poor choice of cover art imho.
The music isn't bad, it's just not all that good either. The only track that I kind of enjoyed was the first.... Mrs Tibbets...it has some of that old magic...the rest didn't really engage me.

His reviews got better since he cut his hair and got glasses. ;) Love the album, but the cover is indeed terrible.

Edited by SteveG - February 03 2022 at 11:06
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2022 at 12:24

His reviews got better since he cut his hair and got glasses. ;) Love the album, but the cover is indeed terrible.

With that bald head, ears , and goatee ..he looks like Mephistopheles....  
'Love the album'.....really? One can love Aqualung or TAAB but this LP...?
Stern Smile
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2022 at 12:52

With that bald head, ears , and goatee ..he looks like Mephistopheles....  
'Love the album'.....really? One can love Aqualung or TAAB but this LP...?
Stern Smile
Yes, doc. Really. It's not a great album but I like the consistency of the rockers which are very good and the acoustic tracks are excellent. And "Mine Is The Mountain" is the bomb!

But to be exact, I enjoy it this much:

Review by SteveG

4 stars "The populist with dark appeal. The pandering to hate.

Which xenophobic scaremongers deliver on a plate.

To tame the pangs of hunger. And satisfy the lust.

Slave to ideology. Moderation bites the dust." - The Zealot Gene

Ian Anderson comes up with a damn good Jethro Tull album, and it's about time. First off, there is no overt prog here ala TAAB, or a rehash of Aqualung. But at 74 years old, and with blown out vocal pipes, this is exactly the quality album that Ian should have been making, either under the Tull moniker or solo, since Roots To Branches in 1995, or even since Crest Of A Knave in 1987! The song writing is stellar. All have that mysterious Tull vibe that's imbued in earlier, and in some cases, classic Tull albums. But The Zealot Gene is no rehash of old notes, riffs or ideas, as the lyrics for the title track above plainly show. Ian may not do Twitter, but he's aware of the times and who's been driving it along.

Musically, the album is broken up with hard flute driven rockers, with subtly intriguing melodies and hooks that seem to sneak up on you, and acoustic based numbers. There's wonderful interplay between Ian's flute, John O'Hara's keyboards, and Florian Opahle's guitar (sounding more like his own man this time around as opposed to a Martin Barre imitator, but a bit generic at times) on these tracks. The bevy of acoustic guitar based tracks take up the other half of the songs and the verity is quite impressive, From the upbeat Celtic tinged "Sad City Sisters", driven along by mandolin and tin whistle, to the gentle pining of the dual guitar strumming of "In Brief Visitation", the album's penultimate track. The standout rockers are the title track "The Zealot Gene", "Shoshana Sleeping", "Barren Beth, Wild Desert John" and "The Betrayal Of Joshua Kinde", a song that rings mightily of the jazzy "Poseidon/Lizard" era King Crimson, both lyrically and musically and is a real treat. Somewhere in the middle of soft and heavy is the eerie piano led "Mine Is The Mountain", a stark comment on the grumbling god of the Old Testament. The song evokes "My God" from Aqualung without any mimicry, and features a wonderful flute, drums and keyboard mid section, another album highlight.

The mixing and production is impeccable. The sound quality is first rate. The playing is great, the arrangements are very good, and Ian's vocals sound very good on these songs, which obviously don't stretch his vocal limitations. Great songs with great lyrics. What more can you ask for? 4 stars. Nice going Ian, but what kept you?

Big smile

Edited by SteveG - February 04 2022 at 05:57
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 14:05
I just heard on social media that the album is charting at number 9 on the UK album charts. Tull's first top ten UK album ln 50 years! The last being TAAB in 1972.

Edited by SteveG - February 05 2022 at 09:02
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 15:39
Nice review, Steve. I have ordered it after umming and ahhing for a while. Love Tull, but I have not been impressed with the past couple of solo efforts. 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 07:05
I guess it's slightly harder to remain in love than to fall in love, but this album helps.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 09:07
I like it. Superb lyrics. One of the better JT/Ian albums of the last 30 years.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 09:15
The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ Hits No. 1 on Billboard’s Top Album Sales Chart – Billboard
Also in the top 10, new albums from Grateful Dead, Aaron Lewis and Jethro Tull debut, while Radiohead's "Kid A Mnesia" makes a splashy return.
Jethro Tull’s  The Zealot Gene — its first album of all-original music in over 20 years — starts at No. 10. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 11:26

A diagnosis for those who don't like the album. Wink

Edited by SteveG - February 09 2022 at 07:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12