Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Space Junk Is Forever for Eclectic/Symphonic/Psych
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Space Junk Is Forever for Eclectic/Symphonic/Psych

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lima96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space Junk Is Forever for Eclectic/Symphonic/Psych
    Posted: May 07 2021 at 16:46
SJF is a band from Boston, Massachusets, USA, that plays very keyboard-oriented prog rock, but I still wouldn't know how to categorise them.

They self-describe as a band that a band that "uses vintage instruments to weave simple melodies, stirring harmonic language, and frequent key and meter changes into impressionistic, aptly titled tunes that '70s prog lovers, mathy drummers, synthesizer geeks, and music theory nerds are all sure to enjoy."

Centered around the core of keyboard player/composer Jordan Holt and drummer Madden Klass, the band expanded to include another keyboard player, guitar and bass. Their third album, SFJ3 was released not long ago, and their two previous self-titled records are brilliant pieces of prog rock music. In fact, I found out about them in 2020, right around the time when Rick Wakeman's Red Planet was released. I thought it was a good record, but upon listening to Space Junk Is Forever's first album, I completely forgot about RW.

To be completely fair, I wouldn't know which album to recommend, all of them are simply put, brilliant, short and addictive to the point where they leave you wanting more and queuing another album of theirs.

A couple of samples:

"These Games Mice Play", off "Space Junk Is Forever" (2018)

"Witch Mountain", off "SJF2" (2019)

"Lovely Lonely 5", off "The Lovely Lonelies" EP (2020 

"Confront Thine Enemy", off "SJF3" (2021)

Edited by Lima96 - May 07 2021 at 16:51
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 02:17
thanx, noted!

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 08:17
Clap prominent keyboard work!
the new album is a great leap towards a prog rock approach
I'm favouring the eclectic department right now

Edited by Rivertree - May 08 2021 at 08:27

Lima96 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lima96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 08:19
Glad you liked it. I've been in a binge of SJF lately Big smile

Their playlist of drums vs keyboards performances is pure gold as well, Holt and Klass are incredibly talented. They have such an amazing musical connection that it overshadows the fact that I was wrong about what I had written above and the actual original core of the band was that of Holt and second keyboard player Claude Garoute.

Drums vs. Keys in action

Post Reply Post Reply