Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ranking Nightwish albums from worst to best (Anett
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ranking Nightwish albums from worst to best (Anett

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ranking Nightwish albums from worst to best (Anett
    Posted: May 08 2021 at 06:09
Ranking Nightwish albums from worst to best (Anette era excluded)

Before I begin i want to make a few disclaimers first. Firstly, I will be omitting albums where Anette Olzon was the front woman. That era of Nightwish doesnt interest me, I stopped following Nightwish during that era, i have no albums from that era and i dont want them either. Secondly, i did regain my interested in Nightwish when Floor Jansen joined, albums with her on will be included, but remember one thing……….ive had years of listening to Nightwish albums from the Tarja era, but not that many from the Floor era, so maybe it might be better if i make this ranking in 2 years time, but ill give it a go for now nonetheless.

In 7th place………..their debut album Angels Fall First. I think Nightwish were one of these bands where it took them a few albums before they firmly found their place and formed a very polished product. The production quality is kind of under par here compared to all their other albums. Emppu Vuorinen vocals are considerably under par too, especially in songs like Astral Romance and Beauty and the Beast. There’s no amazing songs on this album, but there are some good ones like Elvenpath and Know Why the Nightingale Sings. The 3 Lappi songs that are sung in Finnish are alright too.

In 6th place……...Oceanborn. The band’s second album. A small improvement from the second album, but certainly not one of their best albums. You know when an album is good or a cracker to you, because you’ll keep coming back to it often. Unfortunately i have not come back to this album that often. Apart from a few songs on this album, the rest are just mediocre at best, Their cover of Walking in the Air is great though.

In 5th place would be their latest album Human II Nature. Maybe this album might get ranked more higher if i were to do this again in 2 or 3 years time, but for now i do not consider it a very strong album. There’s a few good songs on this album, and songs like Pan and Procession sound quite storytelling’ish, and i do usually like songs that sound storytelling’ish.

In 4th place would be Endless Forms Most Beautiful. The first Floor era album. On this album they employed folk metal quite a bit. There’s a fair few songs on this album that sound rather folk metal’ish like Edema Ruh and My Walden, luckily im quite a fan of folk metal, so thats an alright move there. The opening track is a great song, and the first time i heard it i thought to myself “yes!!!, thats the old Nightwish back again”. The last track aswell is a good epic that lasts over 20 mins. A fair amount of it though is speaking dialouge. But there’s one bit where it goes rather heavy, and Floor certainly shows off her vocal variety by singing rather heavy, sounding kind of like Doro Pesch or Bonnie Tyler. Tarja would not have been able to do this, Emppu Vuorinen would have had to have done those bits for her.

In 3rd place would be Century Child. This album and Wishmaster are kind of equally good, so Wishmaster is only going to very narrowly beat this. But some good and great songs on this album and plenty of them. The opening track is a good opening track, Id say Ocean Soul is the weakest track on this album, as i only consider it mediocre quality. End of All Hope is a great song, and they do a smashing cover of Phantom of the Opera.

In 2nd place would be Wishmaster. Like i said in the previous paragraph, Wishmaster only narrowly beats Century Child. I think only for sentimental reasons though, that Wishmaster beats Century Child. Kinslayer was the first song I ever heard by Nightwish, and when i heard it i thought “They mix classical, opera and metal together very well”. The title track is very good too, and i grew to really like Dead Boys Poem, a sad story told in a nice way (sounds like an oxymoron i know lol). She is my Sin is a great song too.

And in first place…………...Once. Many people say that this was the album Nightwish went commercial on. Maybe to a degree they did, but they didnt betray their roots that much tho either. One thing that makes an album good or great, is variety, and this album has huge variety. Nemo was the 2nd song by Nightwish i had ever heard. Songs like I wish I had an Angel and Planet Hell sound semi industrial, which is good too. Ghost Love Score and Creek Mary’s Blood are both amazing songs. This album ranks number 1 for me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 07:41
These are the seven Nightwish CD's in my collection, ranked from favourite to least favourite:-

1. Oceanborn
2. Century Child
3. Angels Fall First
4. Dark Passion Play
5. Bless the Child
6. Wishmaster
7. Once

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 08:49
The only two I own and know well enough to rate:

1. Dark Passion Play
2. Imaginærum

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 21:57
It would be really hard for me to try and put them in order, but I do know which is my #1. Now, that's a weird one, because Anette is also easily my least favourite singer of the 3, and by a wide margin... yet my favourite album from them is Imaginaerum. I just find the music so magical and special, I've got to love it. Yet, of course, I like much better the live versions of the songs with Floor singing them, anyway (you might want to check out Showtime, Storytime if you haven't, it's got a nice amount of songs from that album). And as much as I love Floor singing with Nightwish, I find the studio albums with her on vocals rather weak.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 02:52
1. Endless Forms Most Beautiful
2. Imaginaerum
3. Human Nature
4. Once
5. Dark Passion Play

The rest....

I came in early in the Floor era - EFMB was the first album of theirs that I heard and it is awesome!  I love the Annette era, but find the early stuff to be OK but less to my liking.  Once is easily the best of the Tarja era, Ghost Love Score lifts it so high!

BTW, it took me quite a while to really appreciate Human Nature, but once it clicked I realised just how good it is!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 05:47
the first two albums at the bottom, I could not disagree more, very good albums, even groundbreaking, close to what Therion were doing with Theli and Vovin. Two albums that helped build the symphonic metal genre. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 20:56
^ Perhaps not so much the first album, which does sound like they were still finding their sound, but the second is indeed very important. I guess the albums up until before Marco Hietella came in are the ones that have the most pure original sound for the band, the most signature one (and for me the most special one), after that they became more symphonic and poppier, and lost a bit of it's eerie sound when they drowned it with so many orchestrations... I rather miss that synth heavier sound from the beginning.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 12:51
Too lazy to make a top 10... Anyway my favourites of them are Oceanborn, Wishmaster and Imaginaerum.

Oceanborn is perfect, albeit with some fluffy stuff.

Wishmaster is flawed, but offers an unmatched soul. A beautiful album thoroughly.

Imaginaerum is probably their most adventurous album. I think their best in terms of songwriting.

I haven't listened to their latest album yet.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 19:23
^ But how I wish they had played the whole Imaginaerum live with Floor on vocals... and if only they could have brought in a full choir to give it a more lively sound it would have been even better.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 02:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ But how I wish they had played the whole Imaginaerum live with Floor on vocals... and if only they could have brought in a full choir to give it a more lively sound it would have been even better.

I actually think that Floor might struggle to sing Imaginaerum.  No, let me re-word that: it may not sound right with Floor singing it?  Scaretale?!  I dunno, Annette's vocals are so right for it....
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 20:30
^ They did play many songs from the album with Floor, I have the album, and I do like those songs better with her. Only, I think the choirs sound slightly less beautiful. Yet, as far as I remember, she did not sing Scaretale, nor Slow, Love, Slow, both of which seem particularly fit for Anette's voice. I have also heard, from the second live album with Floor, them playing The Poet and the Pendulum with Floor, and it sounds fantastic too. For short, Nightwish should have gone for Floor just after they let go of Tarja... I believe Floor's band, After Forever, disbanded at just about the same time, so the timing could not have been better.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 03:15
I've seen them perform TPATP with Floor and she smashed it, but that's not on Imaginaerum.  I really think that album suits Annette so well and don't regret her two album stint.

But Floor rocks and can sing almost anything.....
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 19:32
Just check out the live album Showtime, Storytime.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 21:47
I don't really know the different eras so much but I like or love everything from Once on.  Imaginaerum is the first I heard and, along with Endless Forms most Beautiful, my favourite
 Post Reply Post Reply