Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Genesis album cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What is the best Genesis album cover?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [1.04%]
16 [8.29%]
27 [13.99%]
32 [16.58%]
21 [10.88%]
23 [11.92%]
26 [13.47%]
15 [7.77%]
4 [2.07%]
10 [5.18%]
1 [0.52%]
5 [2.59%]
2 [1.04%]
2 [1.04%]
1 [0.52%]
6 [3.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 16:19
Nursery Cryme > A Trick of the Tail > Foxtrot.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 16:21
Nursery Cryme
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 16:22
Maybe Trespass.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 17:07
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

Maybe Trespass.

I think the cover and the music is both a bit underrated.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 17:17
Trespass, Nursery, W & W
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 17:22
A Trick of the Tail
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 17:38
They have about 4 I like very much and can't realy choose one over the others. These are: 
1. Nursery Cryme  -including inside gatefold ilustrations. It was among couple of very first vinyl I ever bought and seeing something inside was very rewarding. Of course the main cover is amazing too - very British and creepy. Also the logo is the best here. 
2. Selling Engalnd - love this gentle and poetic/fairytale mood - it fits the music perfectly
3. Trick of the tail - It's like classic Dickens' book ilustrations, gotta love it!
4. Wind and wuthering - so beautifuly melancholic. Seeing the cover I was hoping to like the music. Thankfuly it's still a great album, so I could adorn my vinyl collection with this amazing artwork. 
I'm not a big fan of The Lamb cover (although the music is fabulous) nor And Then there were three (still liking the music), but I do like Duke artwork, sadly music on it is below the bar in my opinion. 
Helped Wind and Wuthering with my voice as it has the lowest rate of my favourites. 

Edited by Artik - May 08 2021 at 17:40
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 19:51
Here's a little bit of trivia. Genesis had the artist, Betty Swanwick, who painted the cover add a lawnmower in the painting because of the song "I know what I like." Also, the shapes from the self titled shapes album are from a children's toy called shape o toy by tupperware and not perfection which most people seem to think(probably because perfection was more popular at the time). 
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 20:25
Foxtrot’s cover makes great wall art. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 21:21
Never been huge on their album covers but Wind And Wuthering does it for me despite the album not doing it for me.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 00:17
Foxtrot all the way, followed by SEBTP.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 01:00
Trespass
W&W
ATTW3
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 02:15
1. Foxtrot
2. A Trick Of The Tail
3. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 02:44
Trespass for me
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 03:02
What an interesting set of results! 🤔

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 03:53
Tail does the Trick for me.Big smile

W&W and SEBTP are next

(I'm not that big on the Whitehead artworks)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 04:39
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Never been huge on their album covers but Wind And Wuthering does it for me despite the album not doing it for me.

I feel the same about their covers. Fairly lacklustre compared to the music...which I love.
If I had to chose one...I’d probably swing for Foxtrot, but truth be told? None of these really speak to me. Whitehead’s covers always remind me of the kind of drawings my nerdy friends from the 6th grade drew. Lots of imagination and colourful ideas..but not the best execution per my tastes.

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 09 2021 at 04:42
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 05:19
Nursery Cryme > Foxtrot > SEBTP
Songs cast a light on you
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 07:24
Lamb and Tail...
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 07:28
First and second place cover art looks fairly assured. More of a competition for the bronze medal, though.

It’s interesting to me that the cover art that people like tends to fit also with which albums tend to be considered “more” prog. (NB, I’m not trying to drag that tired old topic up to be flogged like another dead horse. It’s just an observation...)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>